How can you hide Q&A plugin from subsites?

I have installed Q&A and would like to activate it on one subsite. the problem is that it appears on all subsites when network activated.
if it is network deactivated then it will not display in the subsite.

i tried to go to site setting and assign it to one specific site when network deactivated but this still didn't work and the plugin was not available to the subsite.

does anyone have a solution, or achieved running Q&A on one subsite without it being visible to other sites on the network?

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi there @ghog,

You'll want to make sure you are not using network activate. This would force all the sites into using Q&A.

By default Wordpress doesn't offer a way to hide installed plugins from sub sites like they do with themes. You could try using Pro Sites along with it's Premimu plugin module to prevent Q&A from being activated.

Best regards,

• ghog
    • The Incredible Code Injector

yes i already am using Pro Sites along with it's Premium plugin, but this does not solve the problem. also if it is not network activated then Q&A does not work, which is my whole point :slight_smile: I'll try to explain simply: you cannot use Q&A on one subsite alone. the only way to activate Q&A is to have it network activated, which is not the ideal solution.

in other words its all sites or nothing. please correct me if i'm wrong but i have tried every configuration possible and it does not behave like any other plugin, in fact it behaves in the opposite manner to every other plug i have used on my multisites.

thanks

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I'll try to explain simply: you cannot use Q&A on one subsite alone. the only way to activate Q&A is to have it network activated, which is not the ideal solution.

If Q&A is not network activated, you could activate it individually on any particular sub-site. There just isn't a way to prevent other users from activating it as well without something like Pro Sites. This is true for just about any plugin.

Best regards,

• ghog

I have Pro Sites but like i mentioned even with Pro Sites you cannot assign Q&A to individual sites, it just doesn't work, i have trie many times. If you know of anyone that has managed to assign Q&A to one subsite and hide from the rest of the community i would love to know.

• ghog

ok in theory thats a great solution however that won't work because, in order for Q&A to appear in the pro plugins list you must first Network De-activate it. Once it is network deactivated it no longer displays on the front end. Yes it appears in the sub-sites plugin list but for some reason it is not activated when in this state.

i would be happy for you to test this out so you can see for yourself.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@ghog,

Yes, it would need to be network deactivated. However, after network deactivating, you can go to the plugins page for your primary sit, then activate individually on that site.

I've just tested this and can confirm that Q&A works fine both network activated and activated on individual sites.

Best regards,

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi again,

Once it is network deactivated it no longer displays on the front end. Yes it appears in the sub-sites plugin list but for some reason it is not activated when in this state.

After looking at your site, I see what you mean here. This is certainly not normal behavior for this plugin. There seems to be some kind of conflict with this site specifically.

I created a test site and activated Q&A on that site individually to confirm this. You can take a look at this here: yourdomain.com/qa-test/questions/test-question/

Something is causing all of the Q&A links to 404, or they might not even be registered somehow because of this conflict. You also shouldn't have a page called "questions" as this URL is reserved for Q&A and will be generated automatically.

To resolve this, we'll need to do some testing. Would it be ok if I deactivate the other plugins on this site temporarily?

Best regards,

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @ghog,

I've got this working now. I didn't need to change anything on a network level. I discovered that it as the "Sound Mash Plugin" conflicting with Q&A. I'm not sure what the problem is, but if you'd like to send me a copy of the plugin I can do some testing to find out. You could just respond to the email from earlier and attach it if you'd like to look into this.

Best regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.