How come when you add a site - it does not create a directory

OK.. I add a new site --- I have it setup as a sub-domain install.

Shouldn't it be creating a directory? it is not?

Where do I upload my images and so forth to? If i upload into the themes upload file in the main site -- then every persons images using that theme would be in the same file?? I am confused on how this is suppossed to work

• Dev4
    • Champion of Loops

in multisite the directories are virtual. Everything is happening in the same database,
    The files are stored in folders but using the directory structure implied by the site addresses.
    They are in these folders by default
    /wp-content/blogs.dir/1
    /wp-content/blogs.dir/2
    /wp-content/blogs.dir/3 and so on

When a user uploads images they go into the folder for that site/blog based on the number assigned to the blog by WP

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @mindset

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

@Dev4 has given you some great advice there, since WordPress 3.5, it no longers uses blogs.dir unless you had an old install of WordPress and upgraded, see http://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration

For the media each sub site has it's own media library, no sub sites share the media it is all individual, it wouldn't create a directory as you have gone with sub domains (a very good choice), over sub directories.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mindset
    • The Crimson Coder

ok -- so I knew that it does not use blogs.dir anymore ----- but my question has still not been answered ---

Where is the content -----

I am trying to upload a cloned file of a site -- and the software can't find the file and the file is too big to upload using WP -- so I have to use ftp -- but no matter where I put it -- it does not find it ---

for this particular theme that I am using -- I would normally upload the clone zip to either the upload directory or the thumbs directory under the theme depending on the status of the install -- this theme puts all of its media in a thumbs directory under its theme folder -----

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @mindset

Thanks for the additional information, the theme folder would be in the normal wp-content/themes and anything uploaded their via FTP would be added to the theme for all sites within the network.

The individual upload locations for media etc in a mulisite, is wp-content/uploads/sites/2/7/2013 (the last 2/7/2013 is the specific for my sub site where 2 is the blog ID.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mindset
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks jack --- I have been opening the options table for each blog to find the one I need -- LOL -- your method of hovering the cursor over the site name -- is so much easier -----

I appreciate you guys so much -- after struggling with WP for 4-6 years -- it is so nice to get answers without hours of trial and error, searching, and reading ---- still doing the searching and reading cause that is how you learn more in-depth understandings of the topics ---- but this service has reduced my research time by hours and hours everyweek ---

Kudos to you

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.