How do affiliates see how to become one?

I have the affiliates plugin and also the Membership and Market Press addon...but where does the affiliate information appear on the site?

I have yet to see it.

How does someone visiting your site know that they can become one and where to find further info?

Sorry but it isn't clear to me.

Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

The affiliate information would be in wp-admin > affiliates.

The best way to add the information and to show it to users is to use the shortcodes included within affiliates to output the information front-end.

The following is available

[affiliatelogincheck] – place this at the top of the page that you are planning on using the rest of the shortcodes on and it will display a login message if the user isn’t logged in.
    [affiliateuserdetails] – mirrors the affiliate details form from the admin area (yellow box)
    [affiliatestatstable] – mirrors the large click statistics table
    [affiliatevisitstable] – mirrors the referrers this month table
    [affiliatetopvisitstable] – mirrors the top referrers table
    [affiliatestatschart] – mirrors the main statistics charts
    [affiliatevisitschart] – mirrors the referrers charts
    [affiliatebanners] – displays the banners you add to your affiliate settings

If the user isn’t logged in then none of the shortcodes will output anything (except for the top one).

This will allow you to create the affiliate system front-end :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

jack

Thanks for that code - I'm just still a bit puzzled though. (I need a bit more context I think.)

How does someone visiting your site know that they can become one and where to find further info?

If someone visits my site - how do they tell that the option to become an affiliate is there?

I am thinking there would be a widget down the side that would say "Like to become an Affiliate?" and you click on that to sign up / get more info.

I am not sure if I am meant to create a new page for Affiliates (is that only accessible on sign up?), and/or a widget, and are all statistics from the codes above THEIR AFFILIATE statistics and the like? Surely, they would not be the overall statistics that I see eg via the dashboard, would they?

Sorry for the confusion but there is a gap there in the explanations for how it all works from the manager (ie me) perspective as well as the new affiliate or wannabe affiliate.

So is there meant to be a general area / page for information for potential affiliates that also has a signup element to it that THEN displays their info ONCE they have signed up...is that the way it is meant to work?

Sorry, it's just not clear to me how it works.
    Thanks.

• Paul

@Karen,

I'll try and answer for Jack.

If someone visits my site - how do they tell that the option to become an affiliate is there?

That is somewhat up to you. And Affiliate user is just the same as a regular WordPress user. So if you want to add some context on a public page to drive users to the signup that is how you should do it.

Once the user is signed up there are two ways to 'get' to the user's affiliate panel. First is with wp-admin. As a menu option below the Profile menu option. This will show only their data. This is also where the general WP user can agree to become an affiliate.

The second method is using the shortcodes Jack provided in his last reply. See more of my comments below on the shortcodes.

I am thinking there would be a widget down the side that would say "Like to become an Affiliate?" and you click on that to sign up / get more info.

Good idea but really your just talking about an image you can create on your own. I would create sort of a 'Join our Affiliate Program' page. On the page which would be public to all public users you define the terms of what is expected from the Affiliate user and maybe some monetary reward. At the bottom of this page you might have a link to your signup page. With instructions to follow 'after' the signup to WordPress.

Then I would create a second page. This is where you would use the shortcodes provided. Yes, these are specific output details to the affiliate user. So any of the reports show only their data.

Of the shortcodes the important one is [affiliatelogincheck] which is used to check if the user is logged in to your site. This is not checking is the user is an affiliate. Just a WP user.

The second shortcode [affiliateuserdetails] will show the familiar yellow box when expanded will show the option where the user accepts to become an affiliate.

Follow?

We are working on a somewhat rewrite of the Affiliate plugin. adding lots of needed features. One important feature will be a checkbox to show on the WP register page where the user can become an affiliate user all in one step. Should be out soon.

• Karen

Paul

Nice to "meet" another WPMU person.

The page I created - to see what happened - was https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/affiliates/

is that the idea?

I used all the shortcodes on that page - on the understanding that they won't see the info unless they are signed in.

Once the user is signed up there are two ways to 'get' to the user's affiliate panel. First is with wp-admin. As a menu option below the Profile menu option. This will show only their data. This is also where the general WP user can agree to become an affiliate.

I looked at this (it's the Howdy, Karen/ Profile / which now has the choice of View / Edit / Avatar - so there shoudl be another one called Affiliate?

it isn't showing up for me - but then I am not sure if I have signed up - I'm administrator. I'll see if my tester has it.

Thanks for the swift response!

• Karen

Jack

Thanks ...but sorry that isn't what I was asking....

It is not about ME finding AFFILIATE INFO (as per your screenshot).

It is about people who BECOME affiliates FINDING THEIR OWN AFFILIATE INFO.

(....so they can track how THEY are going).

Say you have NEVER visited the site. You arrive and like it and want to become an Affiliate... there was no automatic affiliate page created (like there is eg for membership/BP etc) so I had to create an Affiliate page which I now have and onto which I dumped all the shortcodes to see how the info would appear on the final page.

Once you log in as an affiliate, all your own statistics will show ON THE AFFILIATE PAGE...but I understood from above that there should be an ADDITIONAL TAB (called Affiliates) under the Howdy, Karen drop down list (located top right of the screen where the rest of the BP tabs appear)....ie this is a second way to reach it - via BP (if you are a signed up BP member) but there is NO AFFILIATE LINK appearing for me or my tester.

(I am presuming that you only see the BP Howdy, xxxx if you are signed up as a free Member (which is how I set it up) so you will only see the Affiliate tab in the dropdown list if you are signed up AND an Affiliate.)

What I am asking is : Why is that Affiliate link under BP (Howdy, xxx) area NOT APPEARING. Should it be there?

If not, am I right in thinking that an Affiliate should just access their own info from logging in to the affiliate page?

Hope that is clearer.

(Developer suggestion: Have the Affiliate plug-in create a page automatically and dump the codes in!..otherwise newbies are lost as NOTHING appears anywhere).

• Paul

@Karen,

Not sure what you mean by a link under the 'Howdy, Karen' in the top right. Each WP user regardless of if they are already an affiliate or not will see a item under the Profile menu. This menu us the main WordPress menu on the left side of the page. Maybe this other thread where I've answers the similar question will help. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/understanding-the-affiliate-plugin#post-619364

And at the moment there is really not connection between Affiliate and BP. All BP users are just WordPress user. And Affiliate works directly with WordPress users.

What is the point of having a list of over 12 months (when the site didn't exist) showing no affiliate activity?

Yeah, I agree. This was from the previous development. Not sure why they added all the zeros and blanks. Though you do need then for the graph charts. But for the table table new new Affiliate will just show real data like you would expect from the Post table listing. Not extra lines to show that fake history.

• Karen

Paul

I am confused by :

Not sure what you mean by a link under the 'Howdy, Karen' in the top right. Each WP user regardless of if they are already an affiliate or not will see a item under the Profile menu. This menu us the main WordPress menu on the left side of the page.

To backtrack...I have BP Fun theme and Membership on my site. To join my BP community (called PAO community on my site) they have to sign up for FREE Membership ( based on lots of conflicting advice over months, this is the only way I can get BP to work with Membership so bear that in mind).

SO - once someone has signed up to BP - they get the Howdy, [your name} at the top right of the website. Under that there are drop down lists so you can quickly access Activity, Groups etc - all the BuddyPress stuff. THAT is where someone said that the Affiliate Link should appear (see prev post above).

As far as I can see there is NO LIST ON THE LEFT as you mentioned UNLESS you are an Administrator and have access to the back-end of the site.

I am ONLY talking about Affiliates at the FRONT END accessing their OWN INFO.

I am NOT talking about them accessing WP-ADMIN (why would I? I don't want strangers having access to it!) So I cannot see why it is relevant that the screenshots are showing ME the WP-ADMIN screen.

I am talking about what the AFFILIATE SEES ONLY.

Hopefully that is clear now.

• Karen

Paul

I have NEVER seen the Profile list on the left.

As soon as I log in I get the WP-Admin screen.

Obviously, if a user sees this I have NO WAY of knowing as it doesn't show that to me.

I am either logged out (and it doesn't show) or I am logged in (and therefore in WP-Admin).

If there is another view then perhaps the MANUALS need to show that.

I think there is a lot of basic information missing in the Usage page of the plug-in.

It is like saying there are 7 letters in the alphabet and expecting people to write an article - not knowing there are actually another 19 to use because someone forgot to mention them "because they are so obvious".

That happens a lot with WPMU Dev "documentation". It lacks a basic user's perspective - so just causes more confusion.

• Charlie Pryor

You can create a page where affiliates can manage their own stuff, and visit it on the front end if they are logged in. Use the shortcodes provided with the plugin, and embed them in your own page.

Here's an example of advertising an affiliate program: http://pryormedia.net/affiliates

and then when they sign up, they can go here: http://pryormedia.net/affiliates/track. If the affiliate was signed in to their account, they'd see all the information from the back end, displayed on that page. Since, by default, you wouldn't be signed in, you won't see anything. The graphs that would be shown would be specific to the users account. AND, they can manage their affiliate status there as well, editing their paypal address.

You can create buttons, columns with icons, sidebar widgets... whatever you'd like to do to draw attention to it. Link the buttons and such to the pages you set up with shortcodes.

Even better... show some content to people who are already signed in as affiliates and members, and hide other content completely if they aren't signed in, using the Membership plugins shortcodes.

It's really up to you how you want to draw attention to it. The plugin is designed to give you functionality, but not really style it for you. That's up for you to explore.

- Charlie

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

Hope you're well today, Charlie has provided you with some great info here :slight_smile:

In your use case, create a page and call it for examples, add this shortcode

[affiliatelogincheck]

And under that add

[affiliateuserdetails]

That's where your users would then go to become a affiliate and to check their affiliate status.

If your using Affiliate banners, you'll also want to add the

[affiliatebanners] shortcode :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack and Charlie

Thanks - but it still a little bit double dutch to me.

It isn't styling I am asking about - it is set up.

I have put all the codes on one page...it seems to be working. Why would I need a separate page to track them when it works on the one page? I presume they would only see their own stuff if/when they are signed in, so I can't see why I need another page created...correct me if I am missing something.

I don't know how to use Affiliate Banners - there is a space in Affiliate Settings to enter banner URLs...but that means nothing without some explanation to a newbie. In simple terms how do banners work? Do you supply them with a .png or something or put that on a URL and then give the affiliate the URL to use (and how do you get the URL to them - is that in the email they get sent automatically), what dimension/s are/is the banner meant to be. What do they usually say on them? Is there an example anywhere.
    Is the Affiliate banner designed to be something that appears on THEIR site that links to YOUR site (but that doesn't make sense as isn't your site already tracking where things come from as the affiliate has listed when they signed up to say traffic would come from their URL of xxx).
    There's nothing in the Usage docs to explain (simply) how one does this, how it functions, etc.

FYI.

• Charlie Pryor

By default, there is no page for an affiliate to track their activity on the front end. Only in the back end.

Their unique affiliate URL is presented to them when they activate the affiliate feature on their account. I recommend setting up another user for yourself to see what your standard users see and interact with.

Banners are image-based ads that can be supplied to your affiliates to embed on their websites. You'd create the banners in any size you like, and supply the URL to the image in that section.

You should try to use standard practices when giving ad banners though, such as using standard banner sizes. For more information on that, search for standard ad units that popular ad networks like Google provide.

Banners aren't provided for you by the plugin or WPMUDEV. You'd create them to represent your brand. Supplying your affiliate with the banner ads you make gives them an easy way to advertise your site on theirs, while simultaneously allowing you to control your brands image (so they aren't hurting your image crating their own ads for your site, and potentially doing your image a disservice).

Hope that clarifies stuff a bit.

- Charlie

• Karen

Hmmmm

I am not sure I am being understood.

By default, there is no page for an affiliate to track their activity on the front end. Only in the back end.

So,..someone I DON'T KNOW can access the back end of MY SYSTEM by becoming an AFFILIATE?? I don't think that is a good idea.

Surely it is like signing up to anything else - you sign up, create an account and you have access ONLY to YOUR information - Just like there is My Account for Membership and you see YOUR OWN membership data and can edit it.

Why on earth would an Affiliate program (which is just a different type of membership program, surely) have to get access to my site's back end?????

Makes NO sense.

Their unique affiliate URL is presented to them when they activate the affiliate feature on their account.

Which account are we talking about here? BP account? Membership Account? Why can't they sign up as an Affiliate separately? I can't find any Affiliate feature turning up anywhere.

Could someone LOOK at my Affiliate Page and tell me why that isn't the way to set it up - as noted above I just dumped it all into a page. I tested it and it seems to work for me. I don't understand why an Affiliate needs any access to the MY SYSTEM. Surely it should just output informaton on THEIR page once LOGGED IN?

I don't think I am complicating it. The stuff above is still not clear to me.

I recommend setting up another user for yourself to see what your standard users see and interact with.

I have tried using the different "You are using this site as xxxxx" but it just looks the same. I don't have endless emails to use up either. I've used them with dummy service providers.

Surely the Affiliate setup should be simple.

Say you have NEVER visited the site. You arrive and like it and want to become an Affiliate... there was no automatic affiliate page created (like there is eg for membership/BP etc) so I had to create an Affiliate page which I now have and onto which I dumped all the shortcodes to see how the info would appear on the final page.

Once you log in as an affiliate, all your own statistics will show ON THE AFFILIATE PAGE...but I understood from above that there should be an ADDITIONAL TAB (called Affiliates) under the Howdy, Karen drop down list (located top right of the screen where the rest of the BP tabs appear)....ie this is a second way to reach it -????

What is confusing me is that I want to be clear on WHAT THE AFFILIATE SEES AND HAS ACCESS TO. It should be 100% independent of my Admin screen. It should be accessible from (a) a log in on the Affiliate page AND?? if I read above correctly (b) from some Profile page which I am not sure what/where that is.

Is someone able to clearly tell me the process an new person coming to the site should see (a) to log in AND (b) how to access THEIR AFFILIATE data (and not my admin screen or the admin side at all.

Thanks.

• Charlie Pryor

Hey Karen,

Somebody you don't know has access to only their own information in the backend. It isn't really a security risk at all. - But if you don't like that, just redirect them to the affiliate page that you set up when they log in, and disable the backend for any user that doesn't have a site (which you can do with WPMU DEV plugins). There isn't a risk of anything going wrong in terms of security by having them have a user account on your site.

In order to track affiliate marketing, they have to have an account, thus a signup process has to be implemented that allows for them to be a member of your site. This can be buddypress, membership, pro-sites... whatever. They just have to have an account.

And if they have an account, they have access to their own information, and any information you allow them to have, some of which is the affiliate page that you set up, and the affiliate page within their admin panels.

there should be an ADDITIONAL TAB (called Affiliates) under the Howdy, Karen drop down list (located top right of the screen where the rest of the BP tabs appear)....ie this is a second way to reach it -????

If you want that to happen, get the custom admin bar plugin here at WPMU Dev and customize your admin bars for your users. I don't believe Affiliates get this link in their admin bar.

Ultimately Karen, this plugin is creating core functionality for an affiliate program on your website, but it isn't meant to "out of the box" style everything for you as well. There isn't automated pages set up, and automated tasks for every user who wants to be an affiliate. There isn't a single website in the world that has affiliates who aren't also regular members as well, at least to some degree. If you want Affiliate only membership on your site, to where they don't get access to other features as well, then create a membership access level and subscription for them to sign up to that's free - and then direct affiliates to sign up to that.

It isn't going to just do everything for you. It's designed for flexibility, allowing you to do it yourself, and design it how you want it. It works how you want it to work, and is limited by how you limit it.

Which account are we talking about here? BP account? Membership Account? Why can't they sign up as an Affiliate separately? I can't find any Affiliate feature turning up anywhere.

Any user account that has a login and a password from registering on your site. It's a user account in Wordpress. - and if you can't find affiliate features on your site's front end, create them. Whether that's a widget, or a button with a shortcode, or a menu option within your site's menu... if you want users to see where to go to track their affiliate data, give them a place to do it, and a way to find it. The plugin lets you do it how you do it.

What is confusing me is that I want to be clear on WHAT THE AFFILIATE SEES AND HAS ACCESS TO.

They see and have access to whatever you give them access to. By absolute default, they're just a regular subscriber user, with access to their own profile and their affiliate tracking data in the Dashboard.

I don't have endless emails to use up either. I've used them with dummy service providers.

You don't need multiple accounts to test it. You just need one. Even a login with a dummy provider account should suffice. If there is a single user account you have access to, use that. If for some reason you want to change it - delete the user and remake it with the same email. Super easy.... plus, a gmail account takes less than a minute to register.

Why on earth would an Affiliate program (which is just a different type of membership program, surely) have to get access to my site's back end?????

Because they are a registered member of your site. That's how Wordpress works. - If you want to restrict access to the dashboard for logged in users, you can use a plugin here to do that as well. Keep in mind though that they will all lose access to functionality unless it is provided for on the front end (which you would provide for them).

- Charlie

• Karen

Charlie

Thanks for that...but I am sorry. I am not an IT person. I have no idea how to do half of that. I just (a) want to use the plugin (b) read some instructions that make it very clear how it operates (c) explains how it works with Membership etc - and if there are any known conflicts to watch out for.

I don't want Affiliates to not have access to the site I just want to know how they sign up, what they see (front end).

This (below) is what someone told ME - I couldn't see any tab - I just wanted to know where it appeared as it wasn't appearing for me. I don't want additional admin bars, I just want to know how it should look, what an affiliate sees and how it works. A flowchart and screenshots so it is clear.

there should be an ADDITIONAL TAB (called Affiliates) under the Howdy, Karen drop down list (located top right of the screen where the rest of the BP tabs appear)....ie this is a second way to reach it -????

If you want that to happen, get the custom admin bar plugin here at WPMU Dev and customize your admin bars for your users. I don't believe Affiliates get this link in their admin bar.

I'm sorry, but this just makes me want to scream in frustration:

What is confusing me is that I want to be clear on WHAT THE AFFILIATE SEES AND HAS ACCESS TO.

They see and have access to whatever you give them access to.

Really - I am trying to work out what they "should see", what a "typical" setup is. Does WPMU understand that the people using their products need to be EDUCATED in how they work - in a clear and concise way. I doubt it.

Half the time it's like joining a conversation halfway through - you need to make things far clearer!

Ultimately Karen, this plugin is creating core functionality for an affiliate program on your website, but it isn't meant to "out of the box" style everything for you as well.

OK so where are the clear instructions on how it operates and what to do to make it work. Not the videos which skim the surface and say its easy. Where's the actual set up info and screenshots and explanation on what the wretched plugin does and how to set it up properly.

Sorry but it's a mess to the eye of the user.

As I have asked before - WHO is WPMU's target audience for their products? How much IT knowledge do you NEED to have to use them? The marketing implies very little as it is "so easy to use and set up" but my experience is VASTLY different.

• Charlie Pryor

Karen, have you looked at the "Usage" tab on the product page? It explains setup, with pictures.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-mu-affiliate/#usage

I'll admit though, the documentation on that particular plugin is a bit dated. They were on a course to have in-depth tutorials for their major plugins created, and have had them for a few of the most popular ones. Whether they'll be doing more in the future (whether it's me or somebody else) remains to be seen yet.

I'm sorry I personally don't have any more information for you other than what I've already expressed to share. You don't have to be an IT person to handle this plugin. You just have to have basic customization skills with Wordpress (not the code, just the basic features, like making buttons and using shortcodes)

- Charlie

• Karen

Charlie

Yes I have read all the documentation (I always do - and in the case of ones with videos I watch all those too only to find - eg with Membership - the same thing called 3 different names and terms for different things used very loosely).

It doesn't explain - in plain English - what is happening. It is the same with all the manuals, unfortunately.

All it shows you is how to tick the boxes and some superficial information.

Overall CONTEXT/MEANING is missing. The "meaning" of things (not just press A and get A in the box type info. We "get" that pressing A will put A in the box. Missing is what "the F" A is designed to do and if it has wider implications)

Also missing are the assumptions the plug in is built around (eg Today I found that in Events+, you sort by the date you listed an event (how is that relevant???) NOT the date the events are on...so there is NO WAY to list all your events in March...or the next month or the one after that). WTF?

What useless in formation to have! An Event Manager needs to sort on what events are in those months. That is fairly typical of WPMU plugins. Nonsensical set-ups abound...and you only find out AFTER you have installed and set it up in a way that makes sense to you (in the absence of any explanatory data/info) only to find NOTHING WORKS because the ASSUMPTIONS on which the plug-in is built MAKE NO SENSE.

Hopefully that gives you an idea - I am at a loss to explain how much is missing from the manuals.

It is like the "English" translations you get for manuals for a piece of electronic equipment -where it has been "translated" from Chinese or German or another language. They think they have translated it into "English" because they are using English words - but the "sense" of what they are trying to explain/convey is COMPLETELY MISSED. They are WIDE OF THE MARK....WPMU "manuals" are just the same to those using your products.

I am not stupid. I am just not an IT person. Your marketing says it is easy. It is most certainly NOT. ..and it's not just me. I see hundreds of people with the same issues. I am just the idiot who hangs around and keeps telling you to make it clearer ad nauseum.

What WPMU needs is a real person sitting beside the GEEK who writes the manual to make them EXPLAIN SO THEY UNDERSTAND what is going on and write it in PLAIN ENGLISH for the rest of us so each of us doesn't have to struggle with it.

End of rant.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

Hope you're well today and sorry about the delay here.

I don't want Affiliates to not have access to the site I just want to know how they sign up, what they see (front end).

They need to sign up via your registration page, whether that be BuddyPress/Membership, they must have some kind of role which by default would be "Subscriber" which is WordPress default.

Then front-end with the shortcodes added, they see their affiliate stats and how many people they've referred. That is all they should and would be a "standard" setup :slight_smile:

We are working on the manuals and are looking at having improved documentation.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Lisa

I am very eager for documentation and/or manuals, too. I just don't get how the Affiliates plug-in works...

I understand a bit more wading through this thread -

but there are other steps (and more plug-ins?) involved to make it work, is what I surmise.

There is no way to set commission based on items, like something for sale on my site with a paypal buy button?

Have to use an e-commerce plug-in, plus some kind of membership plug-in?

• Paul

@Lisa

And another option. Want to have it integrate with PayPal or some other form on your site. Check the project usage page https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-mu-affiliate/#usage go to the very bottom there is a link discussion how to build your own add-on. Can't do web programming? Maybe look for someone to do it for you via our jobs board https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

As the plugin developer I'll try and look into direct PayPal button integration. But cannot promise anything as there is not the standard communications round trip like you would have with an integrated eCommerce system.

• Paul

@Lisa,

No real documentation that I'm aware of. Steps are:

1. Activate MarketPress and Affiliate plugin on same site. If you are running Multisite it is recommended you have both plugins activated on the same site. For example if you network activated MarketPress then you should also network activate affiliate.

2. Go to the Affiliate > Add-ons menu. You will see the MarketPress add-on. Activate it. This creates a bridge between the two plugins.

3. Then go to MarketPress. This is Products > Store Settings then to the 'Payments' tab. There you will see a box 'Affiliate Settings' which will allow you to define a percentage of the total order amount to pay to the Affiliate user.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.