How do I activate the bbPress theme?

Hi, I have a Multisite with buddypress installed and I just installed the bbpress forums on the site using the one click installer. I got the Edublogs theme for my site and I thought it would be nice to have a fitting theme for the forum.

But I have no clue on how to activate the theme for the forum. I have uploaded the eduBB folder to bb-templates as the installtion instructed. But after that I don’t know how to proceed since I can’t find a way to activate it from the dashboard.

Thanks in advance

/Robert

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Robert,

You’ll need to be in your bbPress dashboard – not WordPress to change the theme as per the instructions here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/the-edublogs-forums-bbpress-theme/installation/

I’d also note that the stand-alone bbPress is on it’s way out with the new plugin version in beta-2 and getting close to release. This theme won’t be compatible with that – but hopefully more themes will be developed for bbPress at that point :slight_smile:

Let us know if you have any further issues!

• Dukeswe
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok I the problem is that I can't find an admin panel for the bbpress forum. Where do I find the bbpress dashboard? I searched through the wordpress dashboard for a link to it but found none. And as you can see on the screenshot, That is all that is visible when you click on forum.

What am I doing wrong?

Is it because I used the oneclick installer in buddypress?

/Robert

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Robert,

It looks like you’re using the bbPress installation that comes along with BuddyPress. BuddyPress sort of ‘takes over’ the bbPress install so there’s no way to use the bbPress theme in this case. You’d need to have a bbPress install that is independent from BuddyPress.

For what it’s worth, they are going to be separating the two plugins (BuddyPress and bbPress) completely by the time BuddyPress 1.4 is released, so this is all a very temporary problem.

• Dukeswe
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok. well we can’t really wait to put up a forum until then because who knows how long that will take. So if I were to remove the bbpress that buddypress created (If you can help me how to do that) and instead install the standalone version. Does the standalone integrate with wordpress? Because we want to avoid having to create multiple logins like for example if you were to have a phpbb forum on the site.

Thanks

/Robert

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Robert,

Does the standalone integrate with wordpress?

Yes. It does.

Installation can be a bit tricky as you work for getting integration working (It’s a bit like installing another WordPress in that it has it’s own files and tables in the database). Here’s some instructions on how to do it:

http://bbpress.org/documentation/integration-with-wordpress/

Most common would be to install this on a sub-domain or sub-directory. For instance, on this site our main install is on premium.wpmudev.org, but our bbPress installation for the forums is installed on the sub-directory: premium.wpmudev.org/forums/

Installation instructions for the standalone bbPress can be found here:

http://bbpress.org/documentation/installation/

Let us know how it works for ya.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven’t heard back from ya with any response in awhile I’m gonna mark this one resolved. If you’d like to go through anything further, feel free to re-open this thread. Alternately, you can also always open up a new one.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.