How do I activate the PayPal express gateway?

I'm building out my website and have set up Membership to manage my subscriptions and access levels. I want to use PayPal Express to manage taking in the cash. I have a PayPal business account and tried to activate the PayPal Express feature in the Options section of Membership. But when I view the site as any of the levels, I can't see any buttons to register. I went ahead and activated Enhanced Subscriptions (for $19.99/mo) in PayPal, but I'm not sure I need that, do I need it? I found information on PayPal express in the PayPal website, but the information there says I should go to godaddy.com to set it up. I called and talked with them already and they said I should talk with you guys since I'm using membership?

I've already activated it in the membership menu, and created custom buttons. But nothing is showing up on my site. Please let me know how to activate the PayPal Express Gateway. Thank you!

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @perkygrubb

Thanks for posting!

You've certainly tried a lot of avenues so I hope I can help you now!

First off, you shouldn't need Enhanced Subscriptions.

Have you enabled Membership by going to Membership > Membership > enable it?

Membership should create a page with the URL /register/ has that been created on your site?

Finally you need to have a subscription plan and access level set up once you have those set up, the buttons should show up at /register/

Please check all of the above, then post again letting us know your progress.

Cheers,
    Mike

• perkygrubb
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I've enabled Membership, I have all my access levels set up and activated, all my subscriptions are set up and activated, and paypal express has been activated and set up. The buttons don't show up though. I thought the buttons needed to be custom made, so I replaced the ones that were automatically in the setup wizard with ones I created from Enhanced subscriptions and put the code in there and the buttons still don't show up. Again, the standard ones didn't show up either. (thanks by the way for letting me know I don't need that. I thought not, but thought to try it as a trouble-shooter move).

Hi Charlie,
    Thanks for the video link. I did review that and also looked at the printed documentation. I followed those directions before starting this thread (they seemed to be pretty simple), but that didn't work either.

Mike: I'll go and cancel my Enhanced Subscriptions. Thanks you saved me $20! Now, please help me fix this issue. I would really like to keep my 7/4 launch date.

Thanks again!

• perkygrubb
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

One other thing. The paypal express buttons didn't seem to have pricing levels for my subscription levels. I want to have a $4.95 membership level, a $9.95 membership level and a $14.95 membership level. How do I get more buttons in the paypal express?

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @perkygrubb

Thanks for the replying.

Are you talking about the Subscribe, Upgrade and Cancel buttons in the gateway settings for PayPal Express? You should need to set prices as membership handles that all for you.

If that's not what you are referring to, can you send a screenshot showing the area where you have the buttons please?

Cheers,
    Mike

• perkygrubb
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Mike,
    Yes, I'm referring to the Subscribe, Upgrade and Cancel buttons in the gateway settings for PayPal Express. I set the prices, but membership didn't handle it actually. Excuse the overabundance of screen shots, but I wanted to be complete with documentation to make you assistance easier.

You'll see in the first screen shot that my paypal express gateway is activated. In the next screen shot, my paypal settings have been set up. You'll note the default buttons are missing. I replace them with custom buttons from the paypal service you said I didn't need, but recall I said this problem was happening even with the default buttons in place.

The next shot shows that my subscription levels have been set up and all are active. The next four screen shots show the detail of each level. Excuse the small view option, but it was the only way I could get the whole page in one shot. The pricing is set for all of them. I'll have to add the final shots in a new post.

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @perkygrubb

Very thorough with the screen shots! Thanks!

Now that you are not using enhanced subs you should use the original buttons. Also those boxes just accept an image not <form>s and <div>s like you have in there. Please set the subscription and upgrade buttons back to:

https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_subscribe_LG.gif

And the cancel back to this:

https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_unsubscribe_LG.gif

Also if the page still isn't showing correctly, try making another register page(called something else as it looks like you might already have 2) and add the following shortcode:

[subscriptionform]

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Mike

• perkygrubb
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Mike,
    Ok, I've made the changes you recommended, but no difference. Please see the screenshots.

What else can we try? Also, the manual said I needed a "sandbox" email addy to use sandbox mode. Could that be causing the problem? If so, how do I one of those? The email I'm using is my standard business pp email.

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @perkygrubb

You need to set up a sandbox account with PayPal to use that. Try this link for more information: https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/ebook/PP_Sandbox_UserGuide/test_user_setup.html

It is possible that that is causing the problem but you had it in live mode before and that didn't work. Have you had it in live mode since changing the buttons back to the defaults? If not please try that again.

I have flagged the lead developer to get his feedback on this, it could be something really simple that I'm missing or it could be something a bit deeper, either way he should have more insight than I do.

Cheers,
    Mike

• perkygrubb
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for being on this. I will look at the link and get a sandbox account. In the meantime, I did switch it back to live, but it didn't make a difference. And, yes, I did have it in live mode since changing the buttons and it didn't work. :slight_frown:

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @perkygrubb

This is odd, can you please send me some details so I can login and have a look?

To send the login details you can send them through our contact form
    - In the subject field add "Attn: Mike"
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP & cPanel
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

If you are having problems with the contact form you can send them to contact(at)wpmudev.org please make sure the subject line is Attn: Mike and all details are included :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Mike

• perkygrubb
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Mike,
    Ok, I'm sending now the information you asked for above. I just noticed, my website is live on the internet. I thought it was in a "development" stage. I don't know how it went live (obviously, I did something, I just don't know what), but I need to have it put back into the development stage so people can't access it. GoDaddy gave me the parking IP address of: Parked IP address: 50.63.202.63. That I can change the active IP address to to have people redirected to the parking site, but I haven't done that yet as it might mess up your trouble shooting.

Anyway, please take a look at the site using my credentials, which I have sent you. Thanks!

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @perkygrubb

I've just logged in, and I see that all of your subscription plans were set to 'private' I made the public and now they all show on your "/register-now/" page.

I created a test account after choosing a subscription and it got all the way to the payment page, so all looks good to me :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Mike

• perkygrubb
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Really? Oh Mike, you're the best. I'll check this out later today. Thank you SO MUCH. You guys are great and I'm going to keep my subscription going because of the value you already have provided. Let me check and I'll close this. BTW, I talked with GoDaddy and they said there's something I need to do in Wordpress to take the site back into the development stage. Is that true? Or should I use the parking IP address they gave me. If I do use this address, will I still be able to preview my pages/site?

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @perkygrubb

You are very welcome :slight_smile:

Regarding the maintenance mode, just download a maintenance mode plugin and use that.

There will be a button you click to turn it on and off, when it's in maintenance mode, only people that are logged in and admins will see the website.

Cheers,
    Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.