How do I add a password protected area for my Pro Sites members?

I am building out a WP Multisite hosting solution and want to have a password protected area for members to access blog posts, a knowledge base, videos, etc. When a user signs up with Pro Sites I'd like to be able to use that username and password for the members area and have the setup be automated. I don't want to set up a separate site for members and then have to manually add their usernames and passwords to this new site. Any ideas on how to do this and what plugins I should use?

• Vaughan

Hi @trevor,

Pro-sites doesn't have any kind of function like that.

Have you considered the membership plugin, you can then set different levels for different members/subscriptions, then only those on a specific level can see pages/content that you allow for that level, without requiring a password to see the content. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#usage

Hope this helps

• Trevor

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks for the suggestion. So if I use the Member plugin I will be able to control access to blog posts as well as a specific pages that may contain a knowledge base, forum, or instructional videos?

Just to confirm, Pro Sites lets me set up member levels. Those member levels will be recognized by the Member plugin, and the Member plugin is what will allow me to control access to the blog posts and pages?

Thanks again for your help.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Trevor,

Hope you're well today.

Membership will allow you to protect individual posts/pages based on membership levels.

But Pro sites and Membership don't integrate and do conflict, you can't use Membership on the main site in your network, only non network activated on a site by site basis, if this makes sense?

So a workaround might be to have a sub site setup that is for your Pro sites members only and assign them manually a subscription to access the protected content there.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Trevor,

Just wanted to add, you can use both Membership and Pro sites network activated.

But if you do, make sure the Membership registration page in membership > options > membership pages, is set to none.

Otherwise your users wouldn't be able to register for a site, or the alternative is to use BuddyPress and set the registration page.

Setting the registration page to none for the first workaround would mean you'd need to manually users a subscription at domain.com/wp-admin > membership > all users, hover over the user and click "Add Subscription".

So this isn't technically a conflict, more of a usability issue and is something we are looking at for the re-write of Membership. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Trevor

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your input. So to confirm, from what you're saying in your second comment, I could have the Membership plugin running on the Pro Sites site, but I would have to go in to the Membership plugin, find the user who registered for the Pro Site, and manually add their subscription, correct?

If that is the case, this process would be easier than creating a second site and then manually having to add Pro Sites members.

Do you guys have a password protected area on Edublogs.org for support? If so how do you manage the auto sign-ups for sites and then control access to the password protected area? Are you guys manually adding subscriptions to the Members plugin?

Thanks,
    Trevor

• Vaughan

Hi @trevor,

Thanks for your input. So to confirm, from what you're saying in your second comment, I could have the Membership plugin running on the Pro Sites site, but I would have to go in to the Membership plugin, find the user who registered for the Pro Site, and manually add their subscription, correct?

Yes, that's correct.

Do you guys have a password protected area on Edublogs.org for support? If so how do you manage the auto sign-ups for sites and then control access to the password protected area? Are you guys manually adding subscriptions to the Members plugin?

We don't actually do edublogs support here as it's seperate to wpmudev, we have the same parent company, but we're like a subsidiary of incsub, same as edublogs.

I don't believe edublogs has any password protected areas, or use the membership plugin at all because their business model is mainly based on educational institutions, much of edublogs is really custom developed, but they use the pro sites plugin for their sign ups & blog creation.

Hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.