How do I add extra fields to registration form

I require extra fields in the registration form for membership, for example, Address, City, State, etc.

How do I achieve this as functionality? It appears to be a fairly basic requirement of any registration process, yet I can’t seem to find it in either the setup or mentioned in the manual or KB.

I have activated the Profile Fields add-on, and having read through the KB, I note that I should be able to add extra fields but have been unable to find any way of adding these fields. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Cheers,

Keith

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Keith,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

You can add extra fields to the registration from by using the BuddyPress plugin and its Extended profile module as described on the following page.

https://codex.buddypress.org/administrator-guide/extended-profiles/

You can just deactivate other BuddyPress plugin components that you don’t want to use.

Please advise if you have more questions.

Best Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• Keith
    • Flash Drive

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don’t have Buddy Press installed and have no desire to do-so for two reasons: I don’t want it on the site, and I’m trying (very hard) not to bloat the site…

It is my understanding that all software added (whether it is activated or not) slows down the operation of the site.

If I am incorrect in this assumption, I am happy to stand corrected – though I still feel it is inconvenient to have to add another plugin just to make yours work :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Keith

• Keith
    • Flash Drive

So I’m guessing you’re telling me that if I don’t install Buddy Press, I can’t add extra fields to my registration form. I find this to be an unelegant solution considering you have only recently released this plugin, and the issue of adding extra fields to your previous membership plugins has been one that has been frequently requested and discussed on your site – surely you guys have the ability to include this functionality without relying on the installation of other unwanted plugins – what’s going on here?

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your reply.

It is my understanding that all software added (whether it is activated or not) slows down the operation of the site.

No the plugin that is deactivated doesn’t execute its code so it doesn’t slow down the site. Also the plugins consume differnt resources based on how well it’s developed.

You can find out as described on the following page which plugin is slowing down your site.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-find-out-which-plugins-are-slowing-down-your-wordpress-site/

The BuddyPress plugin is a standard plugin that is developed by many great developers so it won’t slow down the site and also you can deactivate its unused components as described previously.

Currently the Membership 2 Pro plugin doesn’t have option to add additional register fields without using third party plugin or developing custom code.

I will move this over to the features & feedback section. This way it can be considered for future development, and we can also see what other community members think about the feature request.

Best Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.