How do I add more submenus to my menu, I have hit a limit.

How do I add more submenus to my menu, I have hit a limit. I am using the Twenty thirteen theme. Thanks for your help. Sandie

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello SandieBarrie,

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

i admit that’s an extremely rare case as there’s usually just a few sub-menu levels used. I tested this on my setup and I can confirm that I was only able to reach up to (if I’m not mistaken) 11 sub-menu levels. I tried to change that limitation using some “hacks” but so far with no luck.

That said, let me ask our developers here for help. Hopefully, one of them will get a better idea on how to increase that limit but please note that it may take some time as it’s rather uncommon issue and our developers are quite busy with a lot of complex issues most of the time. Therefore, their response time may be a bit longer than mine here on support forum.

Please keep an eye on this thread for further information!

Best regards,

Adam

• SandieBarrie
    • Flash Drive

Adam thanks for your quick response. I want to be sure you understand what I am trying to do. If you look at my website (www.grantlessons.org) you can see that I have 5 main tabs: About GrantLessons, GrantLessons, Sample Nonprofit Organization, Sample Applications, and Appendices. I was trying to add Appendix B and Appendix C but the menu program with Twenty-thirteen will not allow me to do.

There are about 83 pages attached reflected in each of the title boxes that are on the website. I may just need to combine a few of these if there is some kind of limit to the number of pages that can be included in a menu. Thanks again for any help you or others can give to me.

Hope you are having a good day. Sandie

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Sandie,

Thank you for your replay!

It seems however that initially I misunderstood you a bit. What I was thinking of was a maximum “level/depth” of sub-menus which is also limited. I’m sorry for causing some confusion.

I think the issue you’re experiencing may be related to server settings. That said, pleas try following steps:

1. If you’re able to edit PHP configuration directly via your server’s management panel (e.g. cPanel) please locate the “max_input_vars” variable and set it to value of “6000”.

2. If this is not possible, try this:

– create an empty file named “php.ini”

– put this line inside:

max_input_vars = 6000

– upload that file via FTP to the root folder of your site’s domain (or to the main folder of your WP install)

3. If this still doesn’t work:

– remove aforementioned file

– add this line at the beginning of your .htaccess file:

php_value max_input_vars 6000

Finally, if this still doesn’t work – remove that line and please get in touch with your hosting tech staff and ask them if they could change that config for you.

Let me know if it helped, please!

Best regards,

Adam

• Madhusudan
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello SandieBarrie,

Hope you are doing good. This is a PHP limit, not WP. You can verify / configure it by looking at your php.ini. Basically, the problem is max_input_vars variable in php.ini. This variable has the default value of 1000. You should try to increase it to 6000 or even 7000.

If the steps suggested by Adam didn’t work out, you can try solving this problem with cPanel also:

1. Login to cPanel, then choose “PHP Variables Manager”.

2. Click on your WordPress folder.

3. Enter max_input_vars in the variable box & click add.

4. Enter a value for this variable (6000)

5. Make sure to select “Apply changes to all sub-directories” checkbox & click save.

This should be the trick to increase the menu limit.

Hope this helps to resolve your issue.

Thanking you,

Madhusudan Pokharel

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.