How do I allow free 'Trial' members to subscribe to paid membership?

I am using the Business Portfolio child them with BuddyPress and the membership plugin and 2CO gateway.

I have been testing my site http://sisterhoodofsupport.com and have offered a free Trial membership. Right now I have over 100 members signed up as free Trial members. They all knew that this was a temporary situation and that they will be required to become paid members if they want continued access.

How do I allow them to subscribe as a paid member? When I test the 'sign up' function it will not allow me to put in a user name or e-mail address that is already in use.

Do I have to delete all these members or is there a way to convert them to a paid membership? If I have to delete them is there a way to preserve all the forum and reply entries on the site now under their user names?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya JoAnn,

Right now, the best way to handle this is to make sure your 'free' subscription is finite. When it ends, they can be prompted to purchase one of the paid subscriptions.

In a future version (hope to release soon) we're implementing some stuff to make this process more intuitive for the end user. I'm sorry I don't have an ETA for that yet, but I know Barry is working on some amazing updates for this plugin right now :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

How do I ensure that they get a prompt? Group e-mails? Or can I make this somehow automatic when their Trial membership ends?

It's automatic - there is an implementation of the automessage plugin being built into the updated version, so you can set reminders to be sent at certain periods of time prior to their expiry.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.