How do I automatically assign access level to Site Admin upon site creation?

When a user signs up for a site, the blog is created and they become the site admin. I've created an access level to limit what the site admin can see. "Delete site" and "Plugins" are just two that I want to restrict using membership premium.

The problem is I can't figure out how to place the site admin, the role, under the restrictions of the access level I created. I've simply called it "Administration."

With the previous version of the plugin I was able to accomplish this. I suspect I know why, and it likely relates to the changes that allow open registration and membership to work together.

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if there is anything I need to clarify.

• jbsv1
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Note: As I go to the "All members" page, I can see the site administrator listed. The user has no membership level, but when I hover over the "Membership Level" column, I can click add and assign the user to the access level I want.

In other words, I'd like to know how I can automate this process once the site has been created and before the user logs into his/her new site for the first time.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

You can define the access levels in the membership plugin and with different subscription plans, you can choose which level will be assigned to the user.

You can use the Sub menu option to resctrict the particular menu items to be restricted.

Detailed instructions can be found in the WPMU DEV Membership Premium user manual/guide

PS: You are not running the latest version of the plugin. please update to the latest version of the plugin :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC

• jbsv1

Hi PC,

Thank you for your help.

I forgot to include this in my initial post, but I'm actually performing tests with the latest version of the plugin on a test server. The plugin is deactivated on my main site, but as of a few moments ago I've updated it regardless.

You can define the access levels in the membership plugin and with different subscription plans, you can choose which level will be assigned to the user.

Yep, you're absolutely right. I've been able to set the assign access levels with the plugin without any problems. Issue is getting that access level to be assigned to the site admin once his site has been created.

I'll re-explain: I'm using the Membership and New Blog Templates plugins together. Open registration is enabled. My goal is to restrict certain areas of the dashboard to the site admin. To do this, I've tried to create an access level called "site admin." I want this access level to be assigned to the site admin once he signs up for his site.

Unfortunately, after signing up for a site, the access level I created specifically for the site admin, is not assigned to the site admin. The site admin isn't assigned any access levels at all after his site has been created. I must manually assign the level myself to achieve what I want. This manual process I do not want to do for every site.

Although I've manually assigned the site admin on the blog template with the proper level, these key changes are not carried over to a created site.

Is there a way to have the access level automatically assigned to the site admin during or directly after site creation?

Thanks again.

• jbsv1

Okay, thanks PC. We were able to find a work around using the admin menu editor plugin. Since our objective is to hide certain menus in the dashboard from the site admin, this plugin was perfect.

Thanks again.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.