How do I block registered users from uploading media?

Hi, thanks for taking a sec.

I have an mu install with prosites plugin.

How do I limit registered users to uploading media(gravatar only) but still allow a larger upload size limit if they are a paying prosites subscriber?

Thanks for your help & patience,

Yohan

• yohanaton
    • New Recruit

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for your reply.

Ding, Ding.

Yes, I want paying subsicribers to be able to upload media, but not free members.

(Although, I’m ok with free members connecting a gravitar.)

I currently don’t have a free level though with prosites, as I only want to allow blogs for paid members/subscribers.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Yohan

• yohanaton
    • New Recruit

Hi Elliot,

Just thought I’d give you an update.

I’ve added the press permit core plugin & edited the subscriber role on the main,shared site.

This has effectively removed the media tab from the left side and as well, subscribers can no longer see (or upload) any media or posts from their dashboard.

Not sure what other adjustments I’ll need to make, but this seems to be the way to achieve my goal… at least for now.

Best,

Yohan

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi Yohan,

That’s an interesting way of achieving what you’re looking for. I’m not sure if it will completely achieve what you’re looking for due to the fact that it seems to be hiding the media options from everyone.

I’m not sure I follow what you mean by the fact that you do not have a free subscription. You mentioned that you want “registered users” to be able to upload a gravatar but no other media, and then paying subscribers can upload media. What are the registered users if they are not using a free subscription? Do you mean site users? If so, by default they wouldn’t normally be able to upload media anyway, and their gravatar wouldn’t require the ability to upload images, as the image is fed directly from Gravatar.

I think you may need to clarify what you mean before I can provide a clear answer.

• yohanaton
    • New Recruit

Hi Elliot,

Sorry if I’m jumping around a bit. As I add various functionality to the site, there’s a bit of 3 steps forward, 1 step back. (plus a bit of a learning curve.)

The theme that I’m using on the main site I found, has a permissions setting. So I can disable editors => subscribers – this give them an error or unauthorized access message when they try to click on the main url/sites or dashboard. So hence they have no media upload tool as well. Problem seems to be solved.

(I’ve since taken off permission press, as I was getting some inconsistent results with it… probably due to my lack of understanding…:wink:

With regard to the prosites, I turned the free level into a paid level and I’ve added the ‘limit blogs per user; plugin. This way they have to pay for a blog regardless and they only get one.

Registered users – I want to be able to comment, etc, – plus my main theme requires a registered user in order to make purchases.

In any event, I believe I’m good to go at this point.

I’ll check back in if I hit any walls along the way.

Thanks so much for your help,

Yohan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.