How do I calculate location based taxes?

Is it possible to calculate location based taxes? For instance, charge a different tax rate for a different zip-code.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Protospace,

Thank you for the great question and indeed anything is possible when one is a competent coder with a vision and the will to get the job done – and I am not a coder.

However, with that said, can you please explain the situation a little more in depth so we know what/why you have this in mind?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Protospace
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Actually, the question was answered in a different post (alas, I asked before I looked… I should know better!). The short answer is that it’s not possible with MP, yet.

The issue is that some states require that the sales taxes on internet purchases be paid at the purchaser’s address. This is the most stupid and difficult task imaginable. Those who wrote the legislation have no idea of the complexity of working through the issues (for example, some taxing districts do not follow zipcode boundaries so you can’t just use a zipcode to determine the tax to be paid).

Unfortunately, it’s more complicated that just coding as the real issue is figuring out the geocode of the address then cross checking it against the jurisdiction’s taxing districts. Not only that, but each state does things differently. With this problem, coding is the easy part.

As things progress, this may become more common. I would look at adding the feature (at least by state and/or zipcode) to a future version.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Protospace,

Thank you for letting us know and as I can see this will be an almost untenable situation and seems like a trashing of the Interstate commerce clause if it is state to state without a physical presence in the destination state.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Protospace
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

It’s not so much from state-to-state, but in-state.

For example, I have a client that’s required to collect one level of sales tax for where she resides and a different level for the rest of the state.

It’s just a pain…

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Protospace,

Absolutely agree that it sounds like a total bureaucratic nightmare without thought or reason.

I admit I have never heard of anything like this and fortunate that I have not I guess.

What state are you referring to by the way?

Just curious.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.