How do I change Membership plugin settings from USD to NZD?

When asked to enter pricing it gives me USD in the settings and I can't see anywhere to specify NZD, which I require.

How would I achieve this please?

Thanks
JWB

• jwb888

Thanks again Ari

Hey, if you're a Membership Plugin guru, and are happy to quote me on the job I've just placed in the job market there, that'd be great.

I know I can read the manuals and do it myself as the other guy suggested, but I don't have the time for that. I need someone's time, and probably half an hour to 3/4 of an hour with someone who knows what they're doing would be sufficient to get me on my way as I have many articles to enter :slight_smile:

Thanks again
    JWB

• aristath

@jwb888 Thank for the sugestion! However my main focus is providing support on these forums and I don't do any freelancing jobs.
    However if you document in details what you want to do, we'll be able to guide you through the process of configuring the Membership plugin step-by-step. :slight_smile:
    Posting on our Jobs Board was the right move in this case. In case someone else sees this post and is interested in taking over this, the link to the job is here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/project/configuration-of-membership-plugin/

Cheers,
    Ari.

• jwb888

Hi Ari

Thanks for that. I'm just keen to progress with this over the weekend. Was the description I gave in the job post not sufficiently complete? Are there things I could add to that to make it more clear? I AM happy to take instruction from support and get it completed myself with guidance if that's the quickest way.

What other information would you like me to supply? I'm 50+ and info doesn't sink in as quickly as it used to. I can operate WP easily enough, but not coding :slight_smile:

Thanks again
    JWB

• aristath

No coding required.
    Simply explain what it is EXACTLY that you want to do.
    What membership levels will there be in your site?
    What will each level have access to?
    What will your payment model be?
    Provide as many details as you can about your business and in plain words (but detailed) what you want to do.
    From then on, it's as simple as point and click on the plugin settings. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• jwb888

Hi again

My partner owns a magazine, published every 2 months. It contains 5-8 featured articles, along with some regular columns.

Levels:

It's my desire to put the magazine online whereby we have 3 levels of users.

Stranger (I have been reading the manual :grinning: gets to view the standard website and find out the benefits of becoming a subscriber.

Free User gets to view the regular columns/blogs and gets one free article per issue, and a teaser portion of all the other articles, along with a prompt to subscribe.

Paid User gets to view all of the above, plus the "premium" articles that teased the Free User.

Subscription Options:

1. Buy (indefinite use) one particular article.
    2. Buy (indefinite use) one particular issue (comprising x articles).
    3. Buy (yearly) a subscription to the following 6 issues.
    4. Buy (indefinite use) ALL previous back issues.

I understand that combinations of these (e.g. #2 + #3 where someone wanted the current issue plus a subscription for a year) would probably be outside the scope of this plugin, but I can put a few option combinations on the sales page I guess to cover most scenarios.

I had the idea to set up magazine "issues" as categories, allowing the featured articles to be posts under the appropriate issues/categories. That seems to work, but tying it into all of these subscription options above has me completely befuddled.

Is there other information you need Ari?

Thanks again so much. I understand the other guy telling me to read the manual and try it myself, but some helpful tips and a bit of insight from someone who's done a bunch of times would be a real lifesaver for me.

Thanks again
    JWB

• jwb888

Hi Ari

I think I have a solution. Several folk have contacted me but we can't get around issues such as when one person already having a subscription purchases something else. The new access level precludes the old one and they lose access to what they had paid for before. The only easy solution I can see is to assign an access level to every subscriber, then when they buy more issues or renew a subscription I can add the categories for the other issue or subs to their existing access level.

So my question to you is, is it easy to increase the number of access levels from 99 to say 9,999 or whatever?

That would allow me to manually take care that everyone receives not only what they're buying now, but preserves their access to issues and subscriptions they've signed up to previously.

I'm not expect more than a few subscriptions a week so for the next year or so this would be very workable.

Thanks
    Cheers
    Warwick

• aristath

Hello there @jwb888, I'm sorry for the long delay but I was in bed with a high fever. I still haven't recovered fully, but at least I'm able to work now. :slight_smile:

Several folk have contacted me but we can't get around issues such as when one person already having a subscription purchases something else. The new access level precludes the old one and they lose access to what they had paid for before. The only easy solution I can see is to assign an access level to every subscriber, then when they buy more issues or renew a subscription I can add the categories for the other issue or subs to their existing access level.

I'm sorry to say that this is NOT a good way to deal with it.
    There are 2 kinds of rules: Positive and Negative rules.
    If you use negative rules, then yes, what you describe above is likely to happen.
    However, in your case I would advise you create some access levels using Positive rules, and use the URL structure of your site creatively:
    Access level 1: gives access to general areas of your site that everyone is allowed to see (your frontpage for example, the about page, contact page and stuff like that).
    Access level 2: If you use a URL structure that includes year, month etc, Using URL groups you can "isolate" their access to the articles that were published say in the past year.
    Access level 3: This will give access to everything.

Now, on the subscriptions, you 'll have to add 2 access levels on each one: access level 1 (to provide access to the general regions of the site) and access level 2 or 3, depending on the subscription plan.
    Visitors should have automatically access level 1 assigned.

Using URL groups you'll be able to solve LOTS of issues! For starters, it doesn't even matter how the articles will be organized in issues. They can be categories, tags or whatever. As long as their URL is like example.com/2013/04/article-name or similar to that, we'll be able to filter them by month,year or anything else.

As for protecting parts of a post so that visitors can see for example the first paragraph but not the whole article, you can use shortcodes in the articles themselves to mark the protected areas.

Let me know how that sounds...
    The execution is easy once we get the planning part of your site figured out right. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• jwb888

Hi

Sorry to hear about the fever. I hope you're getting back to normal.

Unfortunately I can't see how the proposed solution could work. To serve as an example three people sign up for a 12 month subscription in one month and 1 more signs up in each of the two subsequent months.

An access level is created for the 12 months starting at the current month. Another access level is created for someone the month after and yet another one is created for the person who starts his subscription in the month after that.

Now, next year two people renew their 12 month subscription giving them access to their existing 12 month sub as well as the next 12 months' articles. One does not renew but still needs access to his existing articles.

Etc, etc, the example goes on with each person needing to retain access to an increasingly large number of issues and subs.

I can't see any way around it other than creating an access level for each subscriber. I can't see how URL groups are going to help. When I sign up in Jan and have Jan-Dec, and you sign up in March and have Mar-Feb.

What is involved in expanding the number of access levels please?

Cheers
    Warwick

• aristath

Have you considered using a different approach?
    Instead of creating a gazillion of access levels and Subscriptions using the Membership plugin, you could enable subscriptions on a per-post basis, using this plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pay-per-view/
    It sounds more and more that what you want is micro-payments so this would be my advise.
    Using the Membership plugin the way you describe would be really hard to maintain as you'd continually have to edit and adjust each one of your access levels, manually creating new ones every time a member subscribes, keeping track of their expiration dates etc.
    Using the Pay Per View plugin would really make your life easier...
    If however you are determined to use the membership plugin, please let me know so that I can notify the plugin developer so that he may help us out on this one.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• aristath

1. Provide permanent access to each and every article (post) purchased, even after multiple purchases?

There are 3 ways to pay for an article using the Pay Per View plugin:

• one-time view. This allows the user to view a single article for a small fee (say 10 cents). This is cookie-based and has a time limit. Once the cookie expires the user does not have access to the article.
    • daily view. This allows the user to purchase an article for a single day.
    • Recurring subscription. This creates a recurring subscription so that the user can continue having access to your content for as long as he keeps paying. If you want this indefinite, then you can simply enter the subscription period to be something like 3650 days (10 years... )

Each article here is independent from others. So users can buy as many articles as they want.

2. Be able to combine the posts into an issue (articles into a magazine) purchased and provide permanent access to that even after they purchase something else as well?

This solution is article-based. So users must purchase articles one-by-one.
    If they want access to a whole issue, then you could simply create a new post that says something like
    "Big Offer! Get all the articles of issue #45 in a downloadable PDF file so that you'll always have them with you, even on your smartphone!"
    attach a pdf of all the articles of that issue on that post and you're done! (Marketing-wise it also sounds nice...)

It's easier for users to pay for a single article that interests them as well, and doesn't "force" a user to buy a whole magazine just to get to that one article.
    Having a small fee for single articles might also increase profits as more people will be able to buy without thinking about it because hey, it's just 10 cents... who cares!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• jwb888

Hi again.

Thanks, but I really don't want to be attaching PDFs for purchasers to take off site. I would rather all materials were on the site and stayed there. I know it's not a foolproof thing, but I would be wanting to use something like this: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-content-copy-protection/ to stop most people from taking the copy away.

So again I would still look to using access levels to achieve what is needed. I can't seem to get excited about the pay per view suggestion sorry.

So again how difficult is it to adjust the number of access levels, and to what extent please?

With that answer sorted it will help with my decision I think.

Thanks
    Warwick

• Barry

When asked to enter pricing it gives me USD in the settings and I can't see anywhere to specify NZD, which I require.

How would I achieve this please?

Membership -> Options -> Extras tab, select NZD from the drop down labelled Payment currencys. Or is that no longer the issue on this thread anymore? I'll read through and see if I can find out what issue we are on / were we are and answer back.

• jwb888

Hi

Sorry Barry, I had changed the topic in the thread. My fault. All I'm wanting is a way at the moment to expand the number of access levels to 9999 or 99999. It's the only easy-ish way I can see that the module would work for us. I'm hoping it's just an arbitrary setting and that expanding that limit is straightforward.

But for some reason it's taking quite some time to get an answer on it.

Thanks.
    Warwick

• Barry

The new access level precludes the old one and they lose access to what they had paid for before.

For some rules, yes - for others no. If you determined which article was available free - then you could give access to that one by not putting a more tag in it, place more tags in all the other articles so the free member can only read the excerpts - put the remove more tag rule in the premium level so they can access the full articles and restrict access to the extra content in the free members allowed article using a [not-] level shortcode so they can't see the extract.

• jwb888

Hi again

Unfortunately, the article would not (generally) be "free". It would have been purchased by someone and therefore remain available to that someone (only) in full permanently. I can't see any other way of doing this easily except by making one access level per member and simply tagging the articles that relate to that member's purchases. I'm comfortable with the manual aspect of that.

I'm sure though, that I read somewhere that there can be only 99 access levels. Sure hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Cheers
    Warwick

• Barry

It would have been purchased by someone and therefore remain available to that someone (only) in full permanently.

No, membership doesn't have the option of purchasing individual articles in the current version I'm afraid. It may be a lot of work with one level per member :slight_smile:

I'm sure though, that I read somewhere that there can be only 99 access levels. Sure hope you're right and I'm wrong.

No, no limit on the number of levels or the number of subscriptions - well, the only limit is the amount of space you have for your database, as you can keep going until you fill it up :slight_smile:

• jwb888

Hi

<<<<
    No, membership doesn't have the option of purchasing individual articles in the current version I'm afraid. It may be a lot of work with one level per member :slight_smile:
    <<<<

Sorry I should have said "issues" rather than articles. The magazine issues comprise x number of articles (posts) and I'd make a category for each magazine issue, attaching that category to each of the articles (posts) in that particular issue.

That way someone can buy an issue and be able to read all of the included articles from that issue.

If they bought a subscription for the next 12 months I can create (each month) one more category so that there's always 12 future categories and a new subscriber can have his access level include those next 12 categories. As the issues are brought out and the posts are attached to the categories, then that subscriber will have (and continue to have) access to the newer articles on publication.

As mentioned I'm comfortable with the manual aspect of it. It'd be wonderful to imagine that we'd have lots of subscriptions each day, but I am anticipating maybe 10 subs a week, very manageable manually.

Thanks for keeping this going and making the suggestions. Really appreciated.

Cheers
    JWB

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.