How do I change the blog slug in multisite

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me how to change the blog slug for all of the blogs on a multisite installation?

Current it is set to subdomain.domain.com/year/month/day/post_name/

I want it to be subdomain.domain.com/blog/year/month/day/post_name/

Thanks,

Joe

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi there Joe,

Hope your project’s going great! :slight_smile:

Those slugs would be changed from each site’s Permalinks settings page:

yoursite.com/wp-admin/options-permalink.php

Just to mention too, you could potentially use New Blog Templates to setup a templated site with a specific permalink setting and when set as the default template, all your new sites will have that set.

Would that work for you?

Cheers,

David

• Joe
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi David

Thanks for your response. I am very close to releasing my site to some beta testers now – just need to tidy up a few things.

The permalinks menu was what I was looking for i think. For some reason I could not find a menu option for it.

I have updated the custom structure to this:

/blog/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%.html

Now, these urls work:

/blog/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%

/blog/%year%/%monthnum%

/blog/%year%

But this one doesnt:

/blog

Any ideas how I can get that one to work?

Thanks,

Joe

• Joe

After doing some research I found that this isnt an easy thing to accomplish. Lots of people have asked the same question on stack exchange, but no one has got a good solution.

Perhaps this could be solved with a new plugin from wpmudev ? It would definitely be popular!

Joe

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi again @joe,

It wouldn’t work if left blank but you could use this:

/blog/%postname%

However, if you’re trying to get rid of the /blog/ slug entirely, you might consider the method mentioned here:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/why-wp-multisite-force-blog-slug-how-to-remove-it?replies=12

The thing is, the reason the /blug/ slug exists is to keep safe from conflicting slugs. If you have a post name that is the same as a page name, you’ll have a conflict unless that /blog/ or similar slug is there to differentiate them.

Just something to keep in mind. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

David

• Joe

Hi David

Thanks for your reply.

I’m not trying to remove the slug – I dont have one! I am trying to add the slug so that I can have the blog content contained within a separate folder from the pages.

Does that make sense?

Joe

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Joe,

Yep, that makes perfect sense and thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood and thought you might be trying to alter the default /blog/ slug.

I see what the problem is now though. Would it work if you created a new Page with a /blog/ slug?

If you’re using a static homepage you could set this blog page as your Posts page in Settings > Reading.

Would that work for you?

• Joe

Hi David

I dont think that hack wold work for all of my users – not all of them would want a list of blog posts on the font page.

I think what I need is a plugin where a slug can be added just for the blog posts.

Joe

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Joe,

I can’t seem to find a plugin that does specifically that, not sure if one exists.

There’s something to consider with that too, which is why I think it’s not commonly done. For SEO purposes, generally the shorter the url, the better. Having /blog/ in all blog post urls works against that SEO practice.

If you’re looking to do that still, another workaround would be to create a custom post type, perhaps called Articles, and have the base slug for that be /blog/.

You could use CustomPress for that matter.

Cheers,

David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.