How do I change the BP-Social Home Page?

I have the BP-Social Theme installed and I would like to remove all widgets and widget areas & just have the header itself. Currently I have my active page after log in set to the activity page so needless to say when the site is viewed by a visitor who isn't logged in, it shows the header but to the right it says 'Please login to add a widget' and underneath the header it says the same thing to the left and right whilst in between states that it is a protected area and you need to log in to view it. I have the Membership plugin installed and it's reporting that message there because it is trying to display the activity page as that's what I have set. I don't want anything underneath the header nor do I want any widgets anywhere on the home page. Can anyone tell me how I can achieve this please?

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey there,

I get the idea and I have created a child theme for Social with this edit. If you are already using a child theme, copy the index-home.php from the attached zip file into it.

If not, download the attachment and install it as a normal WordPress theme and activate it. You will have the widget areas removed.

Good luck!

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

Thanks for your response Arun! I tried installing as a normal WordPress theme but it reported back it was changing to the default theme as the theme is broken. What I will try to do is use BP-Social as a child theme and copy the index-home.php file as you initially recommended & see if that works. Thanks again.

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

Sorry Arun, I tried both methods and it doesn't work. If I add the index-home.php it removes ALL my widgets from the site and they won't show up even if I add them again. Even then it still shows the message 'Please login and add widgets'. I simply would like the header with no widget areas available to the homepage therefore the above message will not show because there wouldn't be any widget options for the homepage if that is possible. The rest of the site I would like the widget areas available as normal. Thanks.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey there,

Isn't this how you want it? See the screenshot attached.

When you installed the child theme I supplied, did you have the Social theme installed already? You should have it installed, it's the parent theme and that need to be there.

If the screenshot matches you expectation, then you have the child theme here already. I just downloaded and installed it right from here :slight_smile:

Let me know.

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

Hi Arun,

Okay, I disabled every single plugin with the exception of BuddyPress itself and it still displays the side Widgets & front page content. I have the front page content after login set to a static page which is 'Activity' and to the right of that I have Widgets. This is displayed under the Header once I log out. I'm at a loss now why it won't work unless it is something to do with the server environment & how it sets WordPress up initially. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Okay that is strange, can I take a look? Is the screenshot I have in here what you are looking for?

If so please send over an admin login and an ftp login to arun [at] incsub.com

Also please keep the subject descriptive (Email overload problem) and include a link to this thread, this one: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-change-the-bp-social-home-page

Looking forward to it. Do confirm that what I have is what you need please. Else we would be working for nothing.

Thanks!

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

Hi Arun,

I have finally resolved the issue....or at the very least found a solution. I am currently using the Membership plugin from WPMUDev which automatically forwards to http://www.mydomain.com/protected as soon as anyone tries to visit my domain name. What I have had to do is set my protected content page as full width with no widget areas and have a blank protected content page. This removes everything from below the header as required. I know it's not ideal but as my site won't be indexed in search engines and no content is accessible without becoming a member it doesn't have that much of an impact this way as the protected content page wouldn't be required as no menus or any links are visible without registering & logging in. Thanks for all your help on this Arun, I fully appreciate your patience & input.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.