How do I change the layout of GridMarket?

Hi Everyone,

I love the new FrameMarket/GridMarket themes! Very Cool, Tammie...

I am wondering if there is an easy way to turn-off the sidebars and also change the width of GridMarket: Are there settings someplace, or where do I make a new GridMarket child theme with one column and no sidebar?

Thanks for any advise,
MJ

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya MJ,

The GridMarket Theme is a child of FrameMarket - which comes with a full-width template.

If you create a new page, you can change the template to 'Full Width'.

Take a look at framemarket/template-fullwidth.php to see the coding for this.

Thanks!

• twicealive
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I want to turn-off the sidebars and change the width.

So you're implying that it cannot be done using controls inside of the themes.

If I create a new Child Theme, like GrideMarket2 for example, I am wondering if the sidebars and width are controlled somewhere in this child theme, or somewhere in the Frame Market Theme, or do both need to be changed?

Thanks!
    MJ

• Eric G.
    • The Crimson Coder

@twicealive

You can remove the default sidebar widgets pretty easily in your child theme. Here is a post I helped someone else with before:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/gridmarket-framemarket-remove-widgets

You can control just about anything from the child theme. Anything in that theme replaces the parent theme (well mostly). I would read through the Wordpress Codex if you want help understanding child themes.

Please award points if that helps. Working on my free membership!

• twicealive

Many themes have an ajaxified control panel to turn ON/OFF the left/right sidebars, and to control the width of left/right/main. Since this is an elaborate theme, I thought maybe I could easily control such things from someplace in the back end, that's what I was asking.

I can find the functions/theme.php and change the size of the content_width, and I can delete the contents from sidebar.php, but where do I change the width for the entire child theme and where do I remove the get_sidebar(); so I can have a single column narrow theme?

Thanks,
    MJ

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@Eric G .. askers don't get :slight_smile: Don't worry if you help you get points no need to ask for them so publically so much :slight_smile:

@twicealive: Not all themes do that is far more a framework notion. That isn't something this theme has or even plans to have. You will have to do custom CSS edits to get things like that changed.

• twicealive

Thanks Tammie,

Your theme framework is very powerful, I really love it.

I want to make some minor customizations, but there's a lot to learn and I need some coaching.

If I start with Gridframe as guide, can you direct me to where I can change the width for the entire child theme and where I can remove the get_sidebar(); so I can have a single column narrow theme?

Thanks again,
    MJ

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

First up you need to provide a link to your site. Then it's going to be a case of using a tool like firebug yourself to find new sizes.

As a rule it would be #content / #sidebar you will be looking at to change.

Then you do the change in custom.css OR create a new child theme based on grid (our recommendation).

Here are a few links to get you started:

http://buddydress.com/2010/06/firebug-installing-discovering-and-using-the-tutorial/

http://buddydress.com/2010/05/parent-and-child-themes-explored/

And the CSS suggestion to change:

#content{width:720px;float:right;}

#sidebar,.side{width:240px;margin-right:20px;}

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.