How do I configure the membership plugin? In the network admin or my main website?

Hi, I am having some issues configuring my main membership plugin. I want to allow users to sign up to my site for free offering them 1 free blog and a paid service offing unlimited blogs.

I want all users to be able to use all buddy press features as well, however when I set up membership plugin I am getting confused between the Network admin Dashboard and the website dashboard the membership plugin is set-up on.

Do I need to set-up the membership plugin on the multi-site in Network Admin or do I need to activate the plugin from the main site.

The reason I have not network activated the plugin is because I don't want to bloat out the dashboard for my customers, I am under the assumption that if I network activate the membership plugin it will also be available and activated for every user who signs u to my site and creates their own website.

Thanks in advance.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Lewis,

Hope you're well?

Network activating membership will only activate it on each blog, so each blog can have it's own membership rules.

If you wish to make membership global on the network, so it affects all subsites (this removes the ability for subsites to control their own access rules)

You will need to add the global shortcode to wp-config.php

define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', true);

This will then allow you to control access on all subsites aswell as the main site.

Note. You can only control access on subsites by use of URL groups, and not the normal pages/posts rules, the page/post rules etc don't extend to subsites.

Hope this helps

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @Lewis

Happy new year!

I closed the 2nd thread you created for this issue so we can continue the discussion here.

I believe the issue you are facing is due to the www in your site URL.

When I try to access the URL you posted above, I get redirected to your register page as you say, and I see that the site is trying to find this URL:
    http://legacy3010ljawebcom.www.ljaweb.com/

That will obviously not work. :slight_smile:

To remove the www from your domain name, you'll need to edit your wp-config.php and some database tables as seen here:
    http://www.tcbarrett.com/2013/07/how-to-remove-www-from-your-wordpress-network-multisite-primary-domain/#.VKq4s3uNAxc

• Lewis
    • Flash Drive

Thanks guys, I was logged with a different WordPress account which is why I couldn't reply.

I seem to have solved the issue with the WWW but I can not test it due to the other issue of not being able to delete pending accounts. I says "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page." I am logged in as the WordPress administrator. It's the only account I have for this site. Do you know how I can solve this issue?

The one thing I have noticed different is it tries to go to this page: http://ljaweb.com/wp-admin/users.php?page=bp-signups

BuddyPress signups?

I have buddy press installed but I believe this to still be an issue related to the membership plugin as it should of been handling all the account registrations as well as the ability to give them a free blog.

I might be trying to do to much with the website.

Thanks for any help in advance/

• Lewis
    • Flash Drive

The problem is I don't want everyone who uses my site to have loads of activated plugins. It makes the dashboard look messy and will not necessarily be a feature they want activated on their own websites they create.

Is this how I will have to use BuddyPress if I want it active on my site? or is it just something which has happened due to my current configuration?

I have never had this issue before when using BuddyPress.

Thanks

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Lewis,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

BuddyPress is one of the plugin that has to be network activated to be use on a multisite install, it will then be configurable just for you, the sub site admins won't have anything BuddyPress related to configure (apart from their profiles).

BuddyPress should not and isn't designed to be used on a site by site basis in a multisite install.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Lewis
    • Flash Drive

Hi, thanks for the info.

So when someone joins my website as a platinum member and start creating their own websites, will their dashboard have all the buddy press settings along the side and if not will they be able to enable buddy press for their own users?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Lewis

As long you have network activated BuddyPress, they don't need to activate. They will be part of the main network buddypress site and will be able to all features. Note that, all subsite members will be part of the one BP network.

If you want to create BP network for every subsite, that is possible too. But as the feature is new, so there are some limitations. For that, you need to add a link in your wp-config.php:

define( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true );

Cheers
    Ash

• Lewis
    • Flash Drive

I think I understand it properly now. I will only be offering websites and I doubt my users will want to create their own network with Buddypress being used. If they do I will approach the issue then.

Thanks very much for all your help guys!

@Vaughan Thank you
    @Patrick Thank you
    @Ashok Thank you
    @Jack Kitterhing Thank you

You all been a great help

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.