How do I create a default global header and footer for entire store network?

Building GridMarket, MartketPress store network. Header and footer serve primary site only, so how do I keep them consistent throughout all stores? (Can "new blog templates" do this, or does it just work for page templates?)

Header: How can I add my custom-logo into the php script so I don't have to load my logo for each new site, i.e. header.php.

Footer: Can I customize footer.php - what is the best way to address these elements:

a) Make copyright work for and link to primary site homepage only.

b) Footer1, Footer2 columns are just text "html weblinks" for about, contact, help, policies. Where/how can I add this into footer.php?

c) Footer3 is a "menu" of 3 blog categories. Is there a way to add/link this menu in?

d) Footer4 is recent comments for primary site.

I could leave out c) and d) if I have to.

Thanks.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Moniq,

Thanks for your post.

(Can "new blog templates" do this, or does it just work for page templates?)

I think you should be fine with New Blog Templates as it can replicate the theme settings and content etc. So you should create a subsite and format it the way you want. Then you can create a template using that subsite and duplicate it on the other sites.

Footer: Can I customize footer.php - what is the best way to address these elements:

You can do that.

a) Make copyright work for and link to primary site homepage only.

If you want something like that then you can put some custom CSS to hide that link on the template site and then when you create subsites, that custom CSS would be copied so that should be hidden on the subsites too.

b) Footer1, Footer2 columns are just text "html weblinks" for about, contact, help, policies. Where/how can I add this into footer.php?

You can try the Global Footer Content plugin as suggested by Zyniker above. but if you need links in the widget areas, there is nothing better than New Blog Templates

c) Footer3 is a "menu" of 3 blog categories. Is there a way to add/link this menu in?

Not sure what you mean by 3 blog categories. is it for main site or subsite ?

d) Footer4 is recent comments for primary site.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-global-comments-widget/ is the best way to go :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

• MoniQ
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello Zyniker, is it possible for GridMarket (MarketPress) to wrap all "new sites" into one global header/footer, i.e. so that each new site becomes a sub-site of the primary site with its own in-page header logo kind of thing?

I actually thought I could do that with the MarketPress reference to "Etsy-style". I am currently trying to build a store-template (with sub-site in mind), and would like to use "new blog templates" to predefine for each new site. But I am uncovering a lot more work just trying to manage a global header and footer which now needs to address SEO things like favicon and tab-title, etc.

I don't think I will be able to reach my goals on my own, without an additional php programmer involved.

It seems like these plugins do part of what I need but not all, and I am not sure if they do things per site or globally over a network. I wonder if it is better to customize the header.php and footer.php of the GridMarket theme?

... little overwhelmed today!

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.