How do I create a product that has two prices, one for download and one for a hard copy?

I'm putting together a website that will feature audio recordings, and I want to sell them in two forms: digital and via CD. The price point will be lower for the digital version. How do I add an option to the product for the person to choose digital versus hard copy? Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings diverchrisfl,

Thank you for letting us know that you found the variations which of course as you have discovered does not provide the possibility of a download within.

However, as a veteran marketer and and professional Global Network Administrator of Hosting and servers it may be in your interest to reconsider what could be gained by in fact having a double listing - one downloadable and one hard copy.

You could indeed probably gain double the search engine bling by adding them both with different titles, but the titles ending with Download or CD so they are right next to each other on display and the content for each post varied enough so not to be construed as duplicate content by the search engines as already recommended for the title.

This is just a thought but I thought to tell you because it is correct and an option that actually could benefit you.

Please advise your thoughts to this suggestion.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Chris,

With over 1700 recordings, it would not be desirable to have people have to see two of everything. Is there another choice?

I totally see your point - I had no clue as to how many items that we were needing to apply this too though that certainly does not diminish the probable SEO boost.

The only other option that I could can come up with other then custom coding or as a feature request, is dividing them into categories CD's and Downloads.

Then if I were to be doing it via CD, I would use Kanaki using the external link to automate production and delivery.

At this point I am out of options except those mentioned immediately above.

How would you like me to proceed Chris?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• diverchrisfl

Hi Joe

I *think* the answer lies somewhere in custom coding. I'm using the table layout and don't see a need to include images with the items. Furthermore, the vast majority won't have a description (the category and the product name will tell people everything they need to know.)

If I was writing the code from scratch for this, I would use a MySQL "group by" on product name and then have the CD purchase button in one table cell and the Download purchase button in another cell.

I'm still new to Wordpress though. Can you point me to how to adjust the layouts in Marketpress?

Thanks
    Chris

• aecnu

Greetings Chris,

Sorry for the delay in a reply on this, the release of WordPress 3.4 and Buddy press 1.5.6 has kept us running for a couple of weeks now.

I'm still new to Wordpress though. Can you point me to how to adjust the layouts in Marketpress?

Why certainly I can.

There are two methods to create custom designs for MarketPress stores:

Basic Styles:

Basic styles are comprised of a css file and an optional images folder that is loaded and applied on store pages. To create a basic style:

1. Create a css file in the /wp-content/marketpress-styles/ directory with your custom styles. It may be easiest to copy our default.css theme and modify it.

2. Make sure to add the custom theme header with your theme's name at the top of the css file:

/*
    MarketPress Style: CUSTOMNAME
    */

Including this header will cause your custom theme to show in the dropdown on the Store Settings -> Presentation page so it may be selected.

3. You can also optionally create a sub directory for your css images in the /wp-content/marketpress-styles/ folder and link to images within it with relative urls like "image-folder/my-image.jpg".

Advanced Themes:

MarketPress uses custom post types to display it's products. This means that you can use the same WP theme templating system you are familiar with. We simply provide a customized subset of template functions so you don't have to worry about dealing with post meta.

Template functions are fully documented and can be found in the /marketpress/marketpress-includes/template-functions.php file.

MarketPress searches your current theme folder for template files specific to store pages. If a template file does not exist it loads the theme's page template instead.

Just like WP, the plugin will search for templates in order of priority from top to bottom. Here are possible file names for store templates in order:

Single Product Page
    mp_product-PRODUCTNAME.php
    mp_product-PRODUCTID.php
    mp_product.php

Store Page
    mp_store.php

Cart/Checkout Page
    mp_cart.php

Order Status Page
    mp_orderstatus.php

Product List Page
    mp_productlist.php

Product Category List Page
    mp_category-CATEGORYSLUG.php
    mp_category-CATEGORYID.php
    mp_category.php
    mp_taxonomy.php
    mp_productlist.php

Product Tag List Page
    mp_tag-TAGSLUG.php
    mp_tag-TAGID.php
    mp_tag.php
    mp_taxonomy.php
    mp_productlist.php

--------------------------------------------------
    Global Listings - Will only work on main site/blog
    --------------------------------------------------
    Product List Page
    mp_global_products.php
    mp_productlist.php

Product Category List Page
    mp_global_category-CATEGORYSLUG.php
    mp_global_category.php
    mp_global_category_list.php

Product Tag List Page
    mp_global_tag-TAGSLUG.php
    mp_global_tag.php
    mp_global_tag_list.php

Please advise if this takes care of what you need to know.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.