How do i create product pages for my subscriptions? exact details the "add more details box&qu

Yesterday i had a presale question and i got an answer but not to everything i was asking.. here is original question along with a bit more elaborated..

What i am wanting to do, is still have free content(users would still have to log-in to view) have 2 separate subscriptions, one for Madden Tips, and 1 for NCAA tips.. and be able to sell individual pages for mini-guides.. What I would like to have happen is be able to have a product description page for each item with a buy now link(paypal is what i prefer) and once they buy the product they get instant access.. I would like them to have a landing page for the members who have bought access to subscriptions/individual pages, that has a list of the products they have access to where they can click on the link and it would bring them to that area of the site.. so that free members wouldn\'t even see the links to that stuff outside of the description posts.. Would this be possible with any combinations of plugins that you guys have.. Like the membership/ecommerce plugins.. I am very serious and don\'t have much time before i need to get this done.. I would be interested in getting the package that comes with all of your plugins/themes if this is possible.. the url of my site is http://www.maddenuniverse.com if you need to see it..

Ok, so i bought the bronze package so i could have all of the plug-ins.. I have the membership plugin up and running for free members... I still have a few more questions about executing the rest of what i asked you yesterday... With the NCAA tips and Madden tips subscriptions, they are 2 separate things, so if a user bought access to both of them, they wouldn't in turn be locked out of both of them since neither grants access to the other? also the same with the individual pages/e-guides... if a user buys one of the other subscriptions, and one of the individual pages will the rules for each product contradict..

also you didnt mention how id set up individual description pages for each item with a purchase link at the bottom.. Would i need to incorporate the ecommerce plugin as well to achieve this? if you need an example of what im talking about here is a product page that i use for one of my site affiliates.. http://www.maddenuniverse.com/e-guides/sportsgamerz/ncaa14-elite-offensive-guide/

I would need to do this for all of the subscriptions/products with the exception of the free membership... and when users initially visit the site all i want under the register tab is the free membership option, not a list of every product...

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Ryan,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question, this is very interesting in how this needs to be used.

Each piece of content needs to have an individual link to purchase and checkout with a subscription or they should be able to access all content for one part either NCAA or Madden tips separately, correct?

In this case, using membership could get a little messy, as in the end you may have 100's of subscriptions and rule conflicts with each other, I would recommend using our pay per view plugin here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pay-per-view/

Use this on a multisite install with sub domains would be my recommendation, this way you can have one site for NCAA and one for Madden, then you can protect individual posts/pages and then they could purchase a subscription to view all content (out of the box) For the one sub site and then the other sub site can be the same, you can use the main site as a sort of landing page, with info about each and a link.

Does this sound like a workable solution to you?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• ryan

That is not at all a workable solution... I asked this as a pre-pay question, and the response i got was that this could be done without an issue.. I had s2 member which could do it, it just involved too much coding.. I was choosing between wishlist member(which definitely can do it because i know someone who has this same setup) and your plugins and i went with yours because of all the extra plugins i got for a lesser price... i know 4 other sites who do this same thing im asking to do and none of them have a multi-site install.. sportsgamerz.com is one which is the best example in my opinion

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @ryan

Thanks for the additional information, don't worry, that was just a suggestion :slight_smile:

Right when using membership, I have read through your conversation with @Patrick Cohen and this is possible and won't conflict, if they purchase both packs, but you must make sure that those packs don't have any of the same rules, i.e say if you have a mutual page between the packs of about and add this as a rule to both, that will conflict if they have both subscriptions.

Then for the descriptions for the subscriptions that text can be added within membership > subscriptions > add new and then that info will display on the front-end registration form at yourdomain.com/register

Out of the box this has it's own gateways built in for payment and doesn't use a shopping cart/e-commerce plugin.

With the individual tips/pages how many are there? In theory you could create a subscription for each, just it may end up with quite a few different subscriptions for the user to choose from.

So for the purchase link that would be on the registration page, they would click sign up and go through the checkout process of buying their subscription, if that makes sense?

One problem may be with the registration part where you only want the initial user to see the free subscription and then allow them to sign up for other subscriptions once logged in correct? We may be able to use shortcodes for that, please advise.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• ryan

thanks, had me nervous for a second lol...

Exactly... I wanted to have a separate page just for all the paid stuff to be advertised on.. So if a visitor clicks register, all they see is the free membership sign up(which gives them alot more access then a visitor has.. then i also want to have a "products" page, where i can have all of the paid stuff i offer on that page including the 2 paid subscriptions, and then any eguides(individual pages) that i want to give access to.. those pages would be a one-time payment for lifetime access instead of a monthly type deal..

Now for each product or "subscription" i want to be able to set-up almost a description page for them with a "preview" type video.. very similar to this page i have set up to advertise a product from a partner/affiliate site of mine http://www.maddenuniverse.com/e-guides/sportsgamerz/ncaa14-elite-offensive-guide/
    as you can see it gives a detailed description of the eguide along with a video giving a sample of the content.. and at the bottom there is a link to take a user to checkout or purchase the product..

and as i told the first gentleman i want to create a my products page which shows the user the subscriptions that they have with links to those pages so that i don't even have to put the pages up anywhere for anyone else to click on.. as he described i could make this happen using shortcodes...

thank you for all of your help, i am actually starting school at the art institute for web design in august, but i don't have much coding knowledge, so you are helping me big time... any help is truly appreciated

• Patrick

@ryan & @Jack Kitterhing

Hope you guys don't mind if I chime in here. :slight_smile:

The main thing to watch out for when setting up your main subscription plans (Free, Madden & NCAA) is creating conflicting rules. It's all too easy to do, especially when combining positive and negative rules.

To sell your one-offs, you can create a sales page using shortcodes that I mistakenly thought were detailed in the manual, but are not, dammit! Need to update that...

[subscriptiontitle subscription="2"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="2"]

Replace the number with the ID of the subscription for each of your one-offs.

Then for the page that displays links to only those one-offs that your users have purchased (or signed up for), use the shortcode scheme that I mentioned in the email:

[level-page-1]
    Only users with access to Page 1 would see this: link-to-page-1-here
    [/level-page-1]
    [level-page-2]
    Only users with access to Page 2 would see this: link-to-page-2-here
    [/level-page-2]
    [level-page-3]
    Only users with access to Page 3 would see this: link-to-page-3-here
    [/level-page-3]
  • ryan

Thank you sir that is extremely helpful.. the only question i have is how to avoid making the first 3 conflict with each other as well as the single pages.. what can i do to achieve this? could it be done by using shortcodes in the posts/pages that apply to each subscription instead of setting the positive/negative rules from the dashboard? and also there is still the one issue of the initial registration page only showing the free membership sign up

and the one other question i have is, as i was searching the forums i came across a post showing that there is a bug that makes it so you can't have more then 3 membership levels active at once or it causes the page to break.. is this still an issue or has it been fixed? this is the url of that post
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-am-using-version-3441-of-the-membership-plugin

Thank you both for all of your help.. i really need to get this up and running ASAP b/c once the release of madden comes i will be losing ALOT of money without this taken care of.. im already missing out on NCAA but madden is where the bulk of traffic comes from.. I was just medically discharged from the military under disability-permanent, which cut my income significantly, so i really need to get this up and running correctly.. thank you guys

• Patrick

@ryan

I honestly never even noticed that bugginess in version 2.4.4.1.

I'm running version 3.4.5beta4 on a test site and have 4 access levels and 4 subscriptions active with zero issues.

You can grab the latest beta here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/all-attached-below-is-the-beta-of-version-345

how to avoid making the first 3 conflict with each other as well as the single pages.. what can i do to achieve this? could it be done by using shortcodes in the posts/pages that apply to each subscription instead of setting the positive/negative rules from the dashboard?

That can definitely be done, and would greatly reduce the risk of rule conflicts :slight_smile:

Simply ensure that there is only the one access level included in the subscription to the page (the level shortcodes apply to the access levels, not subscription plans). Then you could use the following as an example for each of your one-off pages:

[level-page-2]
    Only users with access to Page 2 would see this content
    [/level-page-2]

[subscriptiontitle subscription="2"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="2"]

That would output something like the following screenshot on the front-end.

• ryan

OK this is great and very re-assuring.. thank you so much!!!

the last thing was just the register page.. is there a way where only the Free Subscription sign up form will show and not all the other products?

also is there a way to make the actual subscription form the colors of the theme? if not, just change the font color.. for some reason is like a very light grey on white color scheme which makes it a little difficult to read.. as you can see here http://www.maddenuniverse.com/register/

• Patrick

@ryan

is there a way where only the Free Subscription sign up form will show and not all the other products?

Yep, all you need to do is set the subscription plan to "Private". It will not be displayed on the register page, or the subscriptions page. The buttons & stuff will display on the one-off page though because you are explicitly overriding the privacy setting with the shortcodes.

You can see that in action on my test site. The register page does not show the Level 2 subscription plan. But if you visit the sample page, it is there because I have protected the content with the Level 2 shortcodes.
    http://patrickcohen.net/register/
    http://patrickcohen.net/sample-page/

also is there a way to make the actual subscription form the colors of the theme?

The text is actually inheriting the text color of your theme. As it is a dark theme, the test is necessarily lighter. You could simply make the background of the subscription box transparent by adding the following to your theme's style-sheet:

div.pricebox { background:transparent; }

• ryan

That works just fine thank you very much.. Im going to work on this setup throughout the night, if i have any problems i will definitely post and let you know.. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

oh do you recommend running the beta you gave me the link to, or is there still some issues with it?

If i do switch to the beta when i upload the plugin will i have to set-up the memberships all over again or will my settings be saved?

• Patrick

@ryan

As a rule of thumb, it's usually preferable to activate the latest stable version of a plugin on a production site. For Membership, that would be 3.4.4.1.

I am pretty sure the issue reported in that thread is because the member had the Lite version of Membership previously activated and did not delete it prior to installing the premium version. The Lite version is limited to 3 access levels and 3 subscription plans.

But, as I noted above, I've been running 3.4.5beta4 on my test site with no adverse issues. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I haven't come across them :slight_smile:

As for updating, you will not lose any settings, no.

• Patrick

Hi @ryan

Is there anyway to change some of the "subscribe" buttons to say "buy now" or something other then subscribe?

There sure is!

Those buttons are simply images, and you can use any image you like for the Subscribe button instead of the default (except for the Authorize.net gateway). PayPal gateways can also have custom buttons for Upgrade, Cancel & Renew.

You can simply upload your button images to your media library. Then click the Settings link for your active gateway(s), and enter the URL(s) to your custom image(s) in the corresponding field(s)

• ryan

Ok one more question... Is there a way to have a different button for different subscriptions? for example some of my content is a one time fee, i want that to be a buy now button.. I have one that is a recurring charge, can i have that be a subscribe button? also if i turn on both paypal gateways, is there a way where i can choose which one to have on a specific subscription? if not, can you have a recurring payment set up with paypal instant check out?

• Patrick

@ryan

Unfortunately no. The plugin settings enable you to specify a custom button for the payment gateway, not the subscription.

I checked to see if that could be done via CSS, but there are no subscription-specific classes or IDs to work with.

There is, however, the following hidden form field:
    <input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Level 3 Subscription">

You might be able to write a custom function to add different CSS style rules depending on the value of that field. I wouldn't know how to do that though. :slight_frown:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.