How do I customize my main site in a Pro Sites setup?

I am trying to setup a site where I offer various levels of sites from free to paid using the ProSites plugin.

I'm currently starting the design of my main site - the site where I will advertise my services to visitors. I have the EduBlogs theme installed and I'm trying to design the layout for the home page. I don't see a way to edit the theme as I'd like to move things around a bit from the base design of the theme. How do I go about making modifications to the theme? I actually like the overall layout of the home page of EduBlogs.org and will borrow some from that design but I don't see a way that I can customize my layout.

Thanks,

Daniel

• daniel_ruyter

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm pretty used to customizing themes but I'd prefer to get something as close to what I'm looking for as possible, that's for sure.

Do you know of any more advanced training resources for using the Pro Sites plugin and/or information on what plugins to use for this type of setup? I had a plan in my head but now that I have everything installed I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks again,

Daniel

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi there and welcome to the WPMU DEV Community for WordPress Support!

Tell us more about what you are looking to build. That will guide the advice that we can give. As far as styling the EduBlogs theme goes, what types of things do you want to accomplish? The first thing I'd do is make sure you have the child theme enabled for your site and then you can customize from there. There are a ton of suggestions for ProSites, but I would certanly think you'd want to have our Appointments+, Events+, Ultimate Facebook and Domain Mapping for a start. Jetpack might be nice because it has a lot of features to it that are important, like a CSS editor, mobile theme and social integration, among other things.

I hope this helps! Looking forward to hearing more about your plans.

Cheers,
    Paul

"Try it, you'll like it!"

~Advice from an Alka Seltzer ad.

• daniel_ruyter

HI Paul,

Thanks for the response.

Essentially, what I'm trying to do is provide users with the ability to choose a theme that I provide them access to and give them the ability to customize their install of that theme if they'd like.

Also, I'd be looking for more advanced training on how to use/setup the Pro Sites plugin from beginning to end so to speak. I think I know how to setup themes, plugins, etc for my various levels. But how do I go about setting up the monetization side of the equation? What about registrations? Do those need to be turned on/off, etc? An overview or roadmap of how to setup a site, even if at a fairly high level, would be most helpful.

Best,

Daniel

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi Daniel,

When you install ProSites and you go to its settings, I think you'll find things pretty much self-explanatory. You will choose what you are going to be selling as upgrades and at what level, ie, plugins, themes, memory etc. There is an area for setting up levels, naming your prices and payment gateways. Why don't you give it a go and if you get stuck, throw a question at us?

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Paul

"Try it, you'll like it!"

~Advice from an Alka Seltzer ad.

• aecnu

Greetings Daniel,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.