How do I customize plugins CSS?

This is a general question about customizing a CSS of a plugin, but I'll use a specific example.
I'm using the NinjaForms plugin in http://wisdom-edge.com/members/tal_dn/ ("Contribute" tab). In it I'd like to change the element
ul.term-tabs li {
background: #ccc; }
which appears in some css file of the plugin
to
ul.term-tabs li {
background: transparent; }

I added this latter code to style.css of my active child theme and it didn't change anything.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Tal

I hope you are well today and thanks for your question.

Your not actually doing anything wrong, the code is correct.

You may want to try something like this

ul.term-tabs li {
    background: transparent !important; }

As it seems most likely that css by the plugin is overriding the style.css of your child theme, but with a important tag, that should take priority and load first. :slight_smile:

Let me know if your still having any issues, I'm here to help :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Tal
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for your response.
    I figured that changes I do to my child theme's (the parent is the famous Firmasite theme) style.css do not show.
    BUT
    the same code written to the Theme Customizer "Custom CSS" section works like a charm.

the "!important" is not relevant. only "Custom CSS" in the theme customizer work vs. any style.css changes which does not work at all.

Can you maybe explain the reasons for that?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Tal

I hope you are well today and thanks for your question.

Quite often the css of for example a custom css plugin would be loaded before that of the style.css.

So it can quite often override the style.css, whereas in the style.css, the css may have to go into a specific place to get loaded before other css or css from a plugin that may override it :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.