How do I Define a Dropbox destination connection?

I am trying to back-up a clients website and I decided to tryout snapshot, but I am a bit confused on how to define a dropbox destination?

• Paul

@kenlyle,

What exactly goes into the blank in the Dropbox Destination folder setting?

As stated on the Snapshot Dropbox page this is the path under the "/Apps/WPMU DEV Snapshot" on your Dropbox account. If you do not provide a directory here then the snapshot archives will be stored into the top-level "/Apps/WPMU DEV Snapshot" folder. My suggestion if you run multiple WordPress systems is to add the domain of the site. So for example just add 'knowledge.ly' into the field. It will be appended to the Snapshot path to be combined as '/Apps/WPMU DEV Snapshot/knowledge.ly'

Are spaces in dirname allowed?

I'm guessing yes. Again, this is the path in Dropbox. If Dropbox supports directories with spaces then you can enter them here. One note you need to use '/' not '\' for directory separators.

There really should be a lot more onscreen help.

Noted.

• kenlyle

Thanks, Paul, but it still seems like a bit of a non-answer, followed by a guess.

I organize my Dropbox by client, not by the source of the files.

So, your suggested file structure doesn't work for me.

If I have a top level folder when I open Dropbox called smithco, for example, what goes in the box? The path from the nav box on the Dropbox website, with /home? Something else?

I am trying to get clear direction, so that I can make your work compatible with the way I use Dropbox. The only way to work around the way you structure things is to create a lot of shortcuts in the client folders which point to the backup folders within the directory you create by default. But, I'd rather just work my existing system.

• Paul

@kenlyle,

So, your suggested file structure doesn't work for me.

Ok. Well you can use Dropbox however you want. That was just MY suggestion.

If I have a top level folder when I open Dropbox called smithco, for example, what goes in the box? The path from the nav box on the Dropbox website, with /home? Something else?

Again see my previous comment. Because of the App type registered with Dropbox it does not write anything to the top-level. All folders and files are stored from the beginning path /Apps/WPMU DEV Snapshot/

So for example if you setup Snapshot on the 'smithco' website and set the Dropbox destination directory to 'smithco' then the Snapshot archive will be written exactly to
    /Apps/WPMU DEV Snapshot/smithco

I am trying to get clear direction, so that I can make your work compatible with the way I use Dropbox. The only way to work around the way you structure things is to create a lot of shortcuts in the client folders which point to the backup folders within the directory you create by default. But, I'd rather just work my existing system.

Sorry, I'm not understanding your last comment. Again the path you enter into the Snapshot Dropbox Destination field is the path relative to /Apps/WPMU DEV Snapshot/ only. You can however enter a multi-level path as in my-sites/level1/level2/smithco or whatever. There is currently an issue with using backslashes '\' with paths in Snapshot. So please only use slash '/'.

As for your original question on multi word paths. Yes, Snapshot does support these. Just tested this on one of my own sites and works fine.

• Paul

@kenlyle,

And before you ask about the App permissions type I mentioned. Dropbox support two App permission types. Anytime a company creates an app that uses the Dropbox API there have two choices for the app type.

These two app types are:

App folder - Your app can only access a single folder within the user's Dropbox (suggested)

Full Dropbox - Your app needs access to the user's entire Dropbox

For Snapshot we chose the suggested 'App Folder' permission type. With this model the plugin is limited to files within the /Apps/WPMU DEV Snapshot/ tree. The reason for this decision is mainly for security. When you authorize Snapshot the access keys are stored in your database. Using these access keys allow Snapshot to access your Dropbox account to upload files. If your website or client site is compromised the hacker could use the access keys to gain access to your Dropbox files. Since we are using the App folder model they would only have access to the snapshot files within /Apps/WPMU DEV Snapshot/ Had we chosen to use the Full Dropbox the all your private files would be exposed.

Just so you realize there are reasons for the Snapshot Dropbox setup.

• kenlyle

Finally. Yeah, OK. That all sounds reasonable, now.

"Dropbox constrains us to only use that one directory tree, for your security".

You could even put that under the field in the plugin. I am a little shocked that this issue hasn't come up before...I am sure that there are others who would like to use their Dropbox more in the manner to which they are accustomed.

But, Paul, is it possible that the plugin could be reconfigged to (optionally) store the access keys somewhere else? With encryption, perhaps? With all the appropriate warnings on screen, in the doc, etc, with signed waivers of liability, if necessary?

Thanks for the info, and the plugin.

• Paul

I am sure that there are others who would like to use their Dropbox more in the manner to which they are accustomed.

Of the thousands of other users of Snapshot and probably 60% of those are Dropbox users no one but you has had an issue with the wording or had not understood the explanation on the Dropbox destination page.

plugin could be reconfigged to (optionally) store the access keys somewhere else? With encryption, perhaps? With all the appropriate warnings on screen, in the doc, etc, with signed waivers of liability, if necessary?

Yes, but probably not. The website where Snapshot runs is the weak link in the processing. I personally nor the company behind WPMU DEV does not want to be implicated in security issue. Bad for business. Similar issue that we could provide a better form of encrypting the access keys. But then again we can't keep the admin from setting their password to 'password'.

done.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.