How do I disable the standard WordPress registration, in order for the Membership plugin to take ove

How do I disable the standard WordPress registration, in order for the Membership plugin to take over the registration process?

Will this step also allow me to customize my messaging in order to use the terminology set out by my clients?

Thanks, c

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

You just create the membership registration page from:

Admin –> Membership –> Options –> Pages [TAB]

Then all registrations should occur through that new page you create.

Will this step also allow me to customize my messaging in order to use the terminology set out by my clients?

I’m not sure what you mean here, could you please elaborate further.

Thanks.

• celine
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for responding to my question…

1) I have created the registration via my Membership Options panel as you pointed out: Admin/Membership/Options/Membership Pages.

My issue is concerning the Login process, once a Member has subscribed. Currently, they can register, and login via the ‘wordpress’ standard login page, and end up within the limited wordpress admin profile page, but I would like them to just arrive to the site’s welcome page.

I thought the Membership registration pages would allow me to add a custom login for members on my site… Is this possible?

2) in terms of MESSAGING, I am referring to the text/copy on the Registration pages, and subscription pages. I would like to modify the messages that show up by default on those pages.

I would also like to remove the coupon code message that shows up on the Registration Subscriptions pages, as my client finds it confusing…

Does that make any sense?

:slight_smile: Hope so…

Thanks,

c

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

1. There isn’t a custom login as such. The registration link when using popup will give you the option.

But there are other ways of handling this:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_login_form

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/sidebar-login/

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tabbed-login/

2. Which text do you mean?

The subscription text is set as you create the sub in:

Admin –> Membership –> Subscriptions Plans

If it’s text created by the plugin then you can use the WordPress translation tool to create a locale for use on your site. Even though it’s a translation feature doesn’t mean it has to be from English to French, it can be from English to English so you can make alterations.

Read more about translations and a free tool like PoEdit

http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress#Translating_With_Poedit

To remove the coupon feature is fairly easy by adding some minor CSS to your themes css files:

.membership-coupon{display:none;}

Take care.

• celine
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Staff :slight_smile:,

Thanks again for your responses… I will look into all of these, I’m excited you have given me options to look into… Will def respond again once I have the chance to implement.

Cheers,

c

• celine
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Morning Timothy :slight_smile:

1. Great! Sidebar plugin for login works beautifully…

2. a) translation plugin : will see to try this later — must fix another issue first.

b) coupon css fix : perfect.

3. THIS IS A NEW CONCERN in regards to login and WP homepage. I want my Members to arrive at the blog page, so I have set WP general settings –> Reading Settings –> Front page displays : latest posts. BUT, it seems I cannot hide my blog page from Visitors though it should be protected from them though Membership plugin Negative rules. … I was hoping NOT to use the ‘welcome’ page as my site’s ‘homepage’…

Am I missing something? it seems to create this loop, when I try to view my ‘protected’ page, even in Admin, I can no longer view this page, it just sends me to the WP homepage…

I’m confused, it’s a lot of back and forthing in my mind, trying to figure out the proper pathing of Visitors vs. Members during the login/logout states.

Any advice would be great,

Cheers,

c

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Morning?? :wink:

It was 18:30-ish my time when you posted :slight_smile:

I’m in the UK by the way.

3. THIS IS A NEW CONCERN in regards to login and WP homepage. I want my Members to arrive at the blog page, so I have set WP general settings –> Reading Settings –> Front page displays : latest posts. BUT, it seems I cannot hide my blog page from Visitors though it should be protected from them though Membership plugin Negative rules. … I was hoping NOT to use the ‘welcome’ page as my site’s ‘homepage’…

Sorry, you’re trying to protect the front page of your site?

Or another page?

And this is in the rules to protect?

If the front page is the blog page then you’ll want it visible no?

Am I missing something? it seems to create this loop, when I try to view my ‘protected’ page, even in Admin, I can no longer view this page, it just sends me to the WP homepage…

What’s set as the protected page in:

Admin –> Membership –> Pages -[TAB]

Is it actually the protected page you made?

Membership is by no means an easy plugin, before I wrote the first manual there wasn’t much in the way of docs and when I wrote that it was really the first time I’d used it. (Any typos still in there can be blamed on someone else lol). Confused me at first. :-s

Anyway, stick with with it and you’ll get there. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• celine
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Good Afternoon Timothy :slight_smile: I’m in Vancouver, Canada…

Everything works in terms of protected pages.

I want ‘Visitors’ to the site, when they land on the site URL members.site.com, to see the protected page. But I want the ‘Members’ to login and see the ‘blog’ page — which I have done — but that the logo/homepage link would also take them to the blog page/or rather latest posts.

In the WP general settings, if I set the ‘homepage’ to view the blog/latest posts, then I can’t seem to protect it under the negative rules of my ‘Visitor’ settings, because I can’t select the base url as a page to protect… So, when a visitor arrives at the site, I would like them redirected to the ‘protected’ page, but it instead, they get the blog/latestposts/homepage as set by WP/General Settings specs…

(ooooo this is hard to explain! How do you write manuals?!)

Does that make any sense whatsoever? :slight_smile:

Cheers

• MScott821
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Celine, i think i “get” what you are saying, but not sure that it is the best way to go.

You should be able to find out what the blog shell page url is.

On my site it is mydomain/blog2/

Using a page rule, you should be able to use process of elimination to figure out which one it is and protect it.

One caveat, if the “homepage” is protected, you might end up with errors saying that there are two many redirects when one browses to thepage when not logged in…

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

In the WP general settings, if I set the ‘homepage’ to view the blog/latest posts, then I can’t seem to protect it under the negative rules of my ‘Visitor’ settings, because I can’t select the base url as a page to protect… So, when a visitor arrives at the site, I would like them redirected to the ‘protected’ page, but it instead, they get the blog/latestposts/homepage as set by WP/General Settings specs…

Hmmm, I think I get you.

Wouldn’t it be easier to make the front page and and then use Membership shortcodes to protect the content. So:

[level-visitors]Hey Visitors, thanks for….[/level-visitors]

[level-level-2]Hey Level two users…….[/level-level-2]

Then you have the relevant content show right on that home page. Wouldn’t that work for you?

Because the front page would normally be open to all on a website. So rather than a redirect from the home page, you could instead serve the content from there?

Hopefully that would help.

Take care.

• celine
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Timothy and MScott821,

Thanks for your responses…

Yes, I created the shortcoded Welcome page, and this works beautifully, and is essentially the WP homepage.

I have decided to set the WP General Reading Settings for my Front page to display the ‘welcome’ page, and for my posts page to be my ‘blog’ page.

In the end, I don’t want any ‘visitor’ to see any content except for the ‘protected’ page. So, all I did was protect my ‘welcome’ page in the negative rules of my ‘Visitor’ settings and — Voilà! C’est parfait! Membership plugin says no, no, no and send all visitors to my ‘protected/Members Only’ page.

Finding the simplest solution and eliminating any recoding etc, working with the systems in place, is always the best fix me thinks :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all your help,

Cheers!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Awesome so you’re all sorted now then? :slight_smile:

If not and you still need any help then please feel free to reopen or create another thread.

We have a fellow support staff member from Canada (Patrick) I’ve always wanted to visit, one day I will :slight_smile:

Take care.

• celine
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Timothy :slight_smile: and MScott821!

I almost opened up a new topic, though my question refers to a recommendation you made earlier @timothy regarding using the ‘sidebar login’ <http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/sidebar-login/&gt; for my Membership Premium Members.

I have now installed bbPress and I cannot seem to integrate the two logins… I have looked at both login offerings, and it’s a no-brainer for me to go ahead and use the bbPress login and profile as it shows Members’ forum activity, and still offers all access to their ‘Membership’ account.

That said, I have searched through my settings (wp/plugins/membership/bbpress) and found no way to modify my ‘login/logout’ landing page options for the bbPress login.

Let me know if this is another topic/if I should proceed to create one — any help to move me forward would be appreciated…

Cheers!

c

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

I have now installed bbPress and I cannot seem to integrate the two logins… I have looked at both login offerings, and it’s a no-brainer for me to go ahead and use the bbPress login and profile as it shows Members’ forum activity, and still offers all access to their ‘Membership’ account.

How do you mean you can’t integrate the logins?

We’re talking about bbPress the plugin right?

If so then it’s just a plugin, the logins are handled by WordPress as in the username and password is WordPress. Usually a plugin like the one I mentioned or bbPress will simply extend and plugin WordPress.

If you could give me examples of what you mean I could look into it further. :slight_smile:

That said, I have searched through my settings (wp/plugins/membership/bbpress) and found no way to modify my ‘login/logout’ landing page options for the bbPress login.

Or are we just talking about some login and log out redirections?

If so then perhaps our plugins might help:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/login-redirect/

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/logout-redirect/

Take care.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it’s been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I’d check in to see how you’re going?

If you’re still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Thanks.

Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.