How do I do this with Membership?

I've set up a couple of levels, subscriptions, etc. with membership but I feel like I may have gotten some parts off. Can someone from support give me a dummies level step by step on how to achieve each of these things so I can make sure I haven't forgotten something.

1. Time limited Downloadable product
I want to have one membership level where people pay once to download files.

How I've tried to handle it: I created a one-time subscription (finite) which gives access for 3 days to shortcode protected content. I might change that to 1-2 days, but I want a period long enough for people to download, but not keep downloading indefinitely.

My question: will the way I have this set up work in making sure people are only charged once? I don't want complaints from people that they were charged every 3 days.

2. Access to a monthly service + discount on product
I'll also be offering a separate monthly service, and want to offer people who subscribe discounted access to the downloadable product above.

I haven't come up with a good way to do this. The monthly portion is straightforward, but I'm not sure how to charge a higher initial price that includes the download product + monthly access, then have it renew at the regular monthly rate.

Example: the downloadable product is $50, monthly service fee is $100. I'd like to offer monthly service subscribers the downloadable product at $25.

I also have MarketPress installed, so I'm thinking that maybe I should include a discounted purchase form or coupon code that's protected by shortcodes that are only accessible to monthly subscribers. Would that work, or is there a better way?

3. The monthly service
The monthly service is actually the ability for people to post to my site. Think unlimited custom posts for subscribers. This is a single blog, so I hadn't really looked at Supporter, but would integration be the best thing to use here?

I'd only want to grant access to one custom post type, and I'd still want to approve any posts before they go live.

• DavidM

Hi ymousley,

We'll be glad to try and assist here, providing as much information as we can, though this may be something you'd want to look at getting a developer to help achieve.

1. Time limited Downloadable product
    I want to have one membership level where people pay once to download files.
    How I've tried to handle it: I created a one-time subscription (finite) which gives access for 3 days to shortcode protected content. I might change that to 1-2 days, but I want a period long enough for people to download, but not keep downloading indefinitely.
    My question: will the way I have this set up work in making sure people are only charged once? I don't want complaints from people that they were charged every 3 days.

It sounds like what you might want is to use the PayPal with Single Payments Gateway which wouldn't create a subscription. Although I'm not sure how that would all work with your subscriptions. Perhaps using MarketPress to handle the downloads, as I'll mention below, would be better suited?

2. Access to a monthly service + discount on product
    I'll also be offering a separate monthly service, and want to offer people who subscribe discounted access to the downloadable product above.
    I haven't come up with a good way to do this. The monthly portion is straightforward, but I'm not sure how to charge a higher initial price that includes the download product + monthly access, then have it renew at the regular monthly rate.
    Example: the downloadable product is $50, monthly service fee is $100. I'd like to offer monthly service subscribers the downloadable product at $25.
    I also have MarketPress installed, so I'm thinking that maybe I should include a discounted purchase form or coupon code that's protected by shortcodes that are only accessible to monthly subscribers. Would that work, or is there a better way?

Would it be viable for you to use MarketPress rather than Membership for the downloadable product instead? In this case you wouldn't have a time-limited download but you can specify how many downloads of the product they're capable of doing.

It seems like that would be much more suitable given your description of the scenario.

3. The monthly service
    The monthly service is actually the ability for people to post to my site. Think unlimited custom posts for subscribers. This is a single blog, so I hadn't really looked at Supporter, but would integration be the best thing to use here?
    I'd only want to grant access to one custom post type, and I'd still want to approve any posts before they go live.

That may be as simple as granting them Contributor access, where their posts could be created as drafts but not published. Someone with a higher role would have to publish the post then.

You could also perhaps use the Role Editor plugin to create and customize a role for this as well.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

It's easy to associate that role with a particular membership level in Membership too.

Cheers,
    David

• ymousley

Would it be viable for you to use MarketPress rather than Membership for the downloadable product instead? In this case you wouldn't have a time-limited download but you can specify how many downloads of the product they're capable of doing.
    It seems like that would be much more suitable given your description of the scenario.

It would be perfect except that it doesn't work with the affiliate plugin. From the single download product perspective, MarketPress is perfect and I'd definitely prefer to use it, but I want to offer affiliate commissions on it. So for that, the only thing I could see was to make it part of membership.

You could also perhaps use the Role Editor plugin to create and customize a role for this as well.

I'm not sure if it's the same plugin, but I've been using a custom role editor for a while that I can see working well for what I need. I'll create the custom role (able to post drafts using the custom post type I create), set the Membership signup to default users to that role. I was just wondering if Supporter would be better than Membership there, but it seems like Membership may be okay for that.

• Loggy

Adding MarketPress just for this seems a bit of an overkill but it would be a useful addition and could be done by limiting a positive rule in the level definition I think.

When a member enters the new level, the positive rule will include the pages that are available (forever) and also a rule that will expire a few days after first access or when a member has viewed (eg downloaded) it a certain number of times.

Is this a flyer?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.