How do I edit the multisite home page, and edit default page templates?

In my multisite network, my network admin page shows I have 1 site and 1 user.

1) I cannot get into the network home page (site1) to edit content.

When I am in the site admin dashboard for site1, I only see 3 pages listed I can edit. I cannot see a root or / representing the home page.

(I managed to edit the home page before, and recall getting rid of an extra comment area at the bottom of the page. Maybe this created a new template somehow, but one I cannot see properly listed in the page template pull down menus).

Visiting the website while logged in, when I click on pages I see the "Edit Page" button on the admin bar at the top. When I go back to the home page/index, the "Edit Page" button disappears.

2) How can I edit the "page" default template of gridmarket, or any of the other default pages such as contact, etc. And how do I make sure these changes do not get overwritten after a theme update?

I would like to create a default "shop" page template I can use throughout the network of shops.

Thanks.

• MoniQ
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks Aristath.

I have tried getting at it both ways; as super admin and site admin.

As super admin, I only access user, theme etc. tabs when I click the root/ for the network. I have a feeling I am missing something here.

As site admin, I get access to 3 pages in that root site for the network, but not the home page.

• aristath
    • Recruit

@MoniQ
    I'm afraid I'll have to take a closer look at your installation to figure out what's going on...

Can you send me your superadmin credentials please?
    - Send an email using our secure contact form on https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    - Select "I have a different question" from the dropdown
    - On the subject enter "Attn: aristath".
    - Include the URL of this post in your message so that I may track this issue
    - Include a link to your website
    - Include your superadmin credentials (username + password)

Cheers,
    Ari.

• MoniQ

Ari, as you instructed, I went to wp-admin/options-reading to select front page "Store". It works. When I select front page "none" again, my global product list is back - so basically I will have to let go of this original home page or root page. If this does not cause an issue down the road as I add in new shops, i.e. index.php or something, then I am happy with this.

Issue: The Store page revealed my category list. The list has a category name I edited earlier displaying just fine, but the old name still displays in the side bar widget for some reason. Can you help me with this?

Issue: I added my global product list shortcode to Store page. I would like to start a new product list below that on a new line. I tried using <br>. Is there another way to bounce content to the next line without having to be concerned about number of products listed?

I will work through the page templates you recommended to remove the reply functions from the default page template. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Issue: The Store page revealed my category list. The list has a category name I edited earlier displaying just fine, but the old name still displays in the side bar widget for some reason. Can you help me with this?

Are they both categories from the same site, or is one of them for the single site and the other for the network of sites?

Issue: I added my global product list shortcode to Store page. I would like to start a new product list below that on a new line. I tried using <br> Is there another way to bounce content to the next line without having to be concerned about number of products listed?

You can try adding this instead:
    <div style="clear: both" class="clearfix"></div>

Let me know if that works!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• MoniQ

Thank you Ari.

First question re:"Side bar will not refresh category list edits. Glitch/error?"
    I created one list in the site. Will be creating another shop over next 48 hours.

Second part:
    The code works great. Thank you.

Update on weird default home page issue:
    I have since updated side bar code. If you click "Search" button without typing text in the search form, the page refreshes to the default homepage! I had a feeling this would come back to bite me. Looks like I will have to repair the default home page before moving on. Can you help me to find where its code exists, repair it, and help me to gain edit-access to the page again?

Cheers.

• aristath
    • Recruit

@MoniQ I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you this issue was marked as resolved and I didn't see there was a response.

Can you help me to find where its code exists, repair it, and help me to gain edit-access to the page again?

Sure, have you edited anything in your theme? Perhaps you're using a search-related plugin?

Please advise,
    Ari.

• MoniQ

Ari, hello.

Homepage editing is working now, since I did a WP 3.7 update.

I am still not sure why a different page comes up when I click the search-submit button (when search-form is blank). I rather it default to homepage. This odd page has no edit function, and does not list within my pages.

Site is in my profile. If you can tell me what page that is, perhaps I can start making sense of this.

Details:
    When I inspect element for this odd page, I get
    <body class="blog logged-in admin-bar custom-background customize-support">

When I inspect element for homepage, I get
    <body class="home page page-id-4 page-template-default logged-in admin-bar custom-background customize-support">

...for a blog, I get
    <body class="single single-post postid-345 single-format-standard logged-in admin-bar custom-background customize-support">

...for a page, I get
    <body class="page page-id-2 page-template-default logged-in admin-bar custom-background customize-support">

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.