How do I enable categories throughout my multi sites?

I installed multi sites and created product categories in my original Wordpress admin. I'd like to have control over product and disallow the option for creating categories on their own . Further, how can I allow a user to add a product, but limit any extra fields, like shipping, inventory, and tax?

Thank you.

• Tyler Postle

Hey again Tony,

Hope your weekends going well so far :slight_smile:

There is no built in feature to do this. However, there is a workaround we can do.

Here is a rundown of what the workaround is before I explain how to do it below. You will be creating a template store site that all new sign ups will start there site from. This template will include the network wide categories that you want to use. From there we will then simply hide all the things you don't want them doing with some CSS.

In order to achieve this we will use MarketPress, New Blog Templates, Admin Menu Editor, and Admin CSS. Admin menu editor will likely come in handy in the future for you as well :slight_smile:

How to do this:

1. Create a new store sub-site that will be your template site with all the product categories that you want your users to have access to.

2. Install the Admin CSS plugin and add the following code to it:

#product_category-add-toggle, #mp-meta-shipping, #mp_tax_rate_div, .mp_inv_col  {
    	display: none;
    }

3. Install Admin Menu Editor and hide the "Product Categories" sub menu under Products. So users can't create a new category from there. (screenshot included)

4. Install New Blog Templates and select the new sub-site you just created above as your template.

Once that is done, new users can select that template at sign up or be given that template at sign up and automatically have all the product categories you want them to without anyway to add more :slight_smile:

Plus the admin CSS has hiden the other fields you didn't want them using in the add products screen. If there are any other fields you don't want them seeing just let us know and we can add code accordingly!

Hope this helps Tony!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey again Tony!

Step 1 there is no actual file involved. That is simply creating a new subsite in your network. This is the site that all future sites will be based off of.

So, start by going to your network admin and from the top right - My Sites > Network Admin > Sites > Add New. Create a fresh subsite and design it exactly how you want your users sites to look. Or just make it super plain so your users can design their sites however they like. The important thing here is that you want to setup the categories.

All the following steps will be done to this new subsite. Then the last step you are using the New Blog Templates plugin to officially make that your template so you can apply it to all new registrations.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you still have questions or concerns.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tony

Hi Tyler,

I have a few options when adding a new site that I'm not sure what to do with:

1) Does it matter what title I give the template? Will my users see this title?

2) Do I place my email address for the admin? Am I considered the admin or are my users the admin for this site template?

3) I have no choices for templates, yet I have network enabled several templates. Why don't I have any choices?

Thank you,

Tony

• Tyler Postle

Hey Tony,

Hope you're doing well today!

1) Does it matter what title I give the template? Will my users see this title?

Yes, your users will see the title in the selection.

2) Do I place my email address for the admin? Am I considered the admin or are my users the admin for this site template?

You will only be the admin of the template site, once the user selects the template and their site is built they will be the admin and you won't be on it at all. Assuming you didn't set it to bring over users in the template.

3) I have no choices for templates, yet I have network enabled several templates. Why don't I have any choices?

Make sure you have the show templates selection on registration option checked. You can this via Blog Templates > Settings. You also have options of how you want to show the templates.

Hope that helps Tony! Let me know if you are still experiencing any issues.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.