How do I find the folder on my ftp with all my content

I deleted a page (totally doesn't exist..actually get a 404 page not found error if I go to it). I've created a new page to replace it but I can't save it as the old file name. It keeps adding a 2 to the end of it. Infuriating really....

I would like to access all of my "pages" (it's a page) in the ftp and change it there. I've looked through my folders on my ftp forever and can't seem to find it. Maddening... With my old html site all of the pages used to just be right there in the public html folder.

Anyways - can someone tell me where I'd find them?

Note: I've cleared my cache.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @annasusmiles

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

WordPress pages are stored in the database and unfortunately not within any files.

It sounds like the original is still most likely in the trash on your website, could you go to pages > trash and check that please? If it is you can delete it or delete your new one and restore the old one :slight_smile:

If that doesn't work, the page will be in wp_posts (strange yes I know :slight_smile: In your database.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @annasusmiles

I've created a new page to replace it but I can't save it as the old file name. It keeps adding a 2 to the end of it.

No need to use FTP for that. Besides, you won't find them that way because WordPress does not create physical pages like a simple html website.

The reason WordPress adds a number to the slug is that there is a page with the same slug in your trash, and 2 pages (or posts) cannot have the same slug. Even if it's in the trash, it still exists on your site.

You simply need to delete the page from the trash (and thus from your site), then change the slug of your new page to what you need.

The 1st image below shows what you are likely seeing on your site: a page with a "2" appended to the slug.

The 2nd image shows the original page in the trash that had the same slug. Simply hover you mouse pointer over the page in the trash, and click the red "Delete permanently" link.

Then change the slug of the live page to what you need.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.