How do I fix a sidebar category list?

I am working on a GridMarket-MarketPress multisite. I have a sidebar Global Product category list that is not behaving as in my Product Edit pages.

1) I am not indenting sidebar global categories properly (can css help this).

Sub-categories do not indent under parent category, instead they order by name all-together underneath each other which is confusing.

2) Possible theme glitch may not refresh category name edits, everywhere in a site.

The parent category name, whose old-name still shows up in the sidebar and post-title for the page, only shows correctly in page category list options.

Thread showing graphics of my sidebar and page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-edit-the-format-of-the-gridmarket-side-bar-category-list#post-534812

Thread started a year ago outlines my ultimate goals: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/sidebar-categories.

Thank you.

• MoniQ

Hello Jack. I hope this helps.

Wishlist
    As in Clabszero's thread, I would like parent categories to list in sidebar:
    a) alphabetical order by parent-name (no sub-categories showing yet)
    b) if mouse-click on a parent-name, then expands to list sub-categories below it; indent 5px, order by name
    c) can sidebar list be navigator to highlight where user is (highlight category or sub-category name clicked, to avoid use of a breadcrumb or post-title at the top of the page)
    d) can list order refresh to parent-list when you leave "shop" i.e. http://domain.ca/shop and go somewhere else, and if you click another parent-name.

Current Issues
    Image "category list on page" = sidebar + "Global Product Category List widget" along with a page category list showing.
    a) The page category list works better, and is closer to the actual Edit Products list (refer to image "EditProductsCategories").
    b) Sidebar name "mixed media" (as seen in closeup image "sidebar category list") should be new name "mixed media collage" as seen in the page list.

Image "text-widgetshort_codes" = sidebar + "text widget" + shortcode: [mp_global_categories_list limit="12" order_by="name" order="ASC" show_count="0" include="categories"] - I tried a different method, but have the same issues as the above Global widget.

Thank you!

• PC

Hey there MoniQ,

Sorry to keep you waiting here., Actually I had a response written but there was some problem sending it.

1) I am not indenting sidebar global categories properly (can css help this).

Sub-categories do not indent under parent category, instead they order by name all-together underneath each other which is confusing.

Can you tell me which category is the parent and which is child ? If I could have a closer look at your site, it would be awesome. Can you send some login details via our contact form ?

2: As far as the name change of category is concerned, can you post a screenshot of the category name (if you can't send the login details) so that I can see the difference on the frontend and the backend. I don't see any reason why that should happen unless its an issue with the caching on the server.

Please advise and @tag me as @pc whenever you respond back so that I can stay on top of this.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• MoniQ

Hello, I am working on store-template that I will be using "new blog templates" to copy to every new site.

1) I have added in new categories. They are not displaying, so I am assuming I need to have inventory to activate them. Here is a shot of the Product Categories in site admin. You can see the categories are ordered properly here for Mixed Media Collage, Painting, Acrylic Painting. The image of the sidebar above does not match this order. Can you tell me how I might fix that please?

2) I am also listing the global category list in a Global Footer for all new sites (with DavidM's help in this thread). I wish to display the list across footer columns 2-4. Right now I can only list them in one footer column single file. Interestingly enough, the category list follows the incorrect one again, re: sidebar image.

Here is a screenshot of the Catefory List - Admin

• MoniQ

Just to state again, global category list orders fine within a page.

It will take me a another day to complete my store template. Then I will create a new site to test the template process. Then build a new shop to add more products and more categories to test them out.

Jack and PC in the meantime, I hope we can work on:
    a) the category "wishlist" (outlined above in the thread), and figure out
    b) why categories are not listing right in the sidebar and footer widgets only, i.e. "Acrylic Painting" does not list underneath the "Painting" parent category.

Thank you!

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for standing by and sorry for the delay. I tested this on your site and found that no matter we use the global categories shortcode or the global categories widget, it does not show hierarchy.

On the other hand, the product category widget allows the hierarchy to be displayed.

I have asked our lead developer @Aaron to chime in for his views on this issue.

He should be here sooner than later.

Cheers
    PC

• MoniQ

PC, adding a hierarchy option would be great! In a text widget version, I tried to pull in tags from codex with no luck. Review...

Wishlist (Clabszero's thread), in sidebar widget with MP Global Product Category List:

a) order by parent-name (no sub-categories showing yet)
    b) on mouse-click, list child-categories below parent; indent 5px

- sidebar list is navigator, as name highlights when active.
    - list order refreshes if click new parent-name.

Thank you!

• MoniQ

Hello WPMUDev Team. I have not been able to resolve issues with category lists. There are 2 requirements I must try and meet for my shop merchants. I look forward to hearing from you.

1) have a product category list print the edited names; if I/shop merchants/site admins edit a name, the name is updated in the list within the local site (and globally). The mp_global_category_list does not print updated names, the mp_list_categories or local list does.

2) produce a list that is in alphabetical order. The mp_list_categories (local list) throws sub-category names out of order like it does not recognize them (I have a suggestion that might clean this up a bit, see below).

The next requirement is more of a feature request I guess but may help out the second point; makes product category lists more functional as a navigator; and reduces real estate lists take up on the page:

a) list parent-names in alphabetical order (no sub-category names showing yet)
    b) if mouse-click on parent-name, then expands to list its own sub-categories below it (i.e. indent 5px, order by name too)
    c) highlight active name (using theme css)
    d) refresh to parent-list if another parent-name is selected.

You are saying global categories cannot be ordered within a hierarchy - that is too bad. The global list appears alphabetically (see below), which is something I can work with. Can you help me to then print the edited names (updates) instead of the old names? Also, is it possible to indent sub-category names in the mp_list_categories?

Thank you!

• MoniQ

Hello Jack,

Local lists can be updated (edited), and they also recognize hierarchy, but I don't know how to tab out the sub-categories a bit (is it possible to provide css for me).

but ...

Global category lists do not post edits made to the category list in site or super admin, and they do not recognize hierarchy. To have ordered lists that are consistent across the network I will have to rename things, i.e.

Parent: Painting
    subcat: Painting: Oil
    subcat: Painting: Acrylic
    subcat: Painting: Mixed Media etc.

The names will get quite long and repetitive this way, but I don't know what else to do. Changing names is not helping, because the old names still get posted.

This is what I started with, and after the above changes, this is what I still have:
    Acrylic Painting
    Mixed Media
    Oil Painting
    Painting

I wonder if the same reason global category lists do not recognize hierarchy is the same reason they do not post edits. (I also tried to delete a category and then re-create it with the new name - that did not work either!)

A couple more interesting issues with categories:

I would really like to turn-off category-adding/editing for shop merchants. I just want them to be able to choose a category I have outlined for the network. I will be using new-blog templates shortly, so am hoping to copy my category list over for each new site. If I add categories to my list later on, shops that already exist will not get updated will they? Is there a way to apply changes to the whole network in this case?

I list global categories by column in the footer of each new site: page 1 for footer1, page 2 for footer2, and page 3 for footer3. Unfortunately, until the categories get used (I am guessing), footer2 and 3 post the same list as footer1. I would like to be able to add something in the shortcode, to stop them from repeating if "page" is empty or something.

I look forward to your feedback.
    Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @MoniQ

Hope your well today and sorry about the delay here.

So you have renamed the categories, but they are still displaying as the old name?

And you just want to space out, (tabbed), the sub categories, that are hierarchical?

Could I get some logins to take a look at this please? If that's possible please send to contact(at)wpmudev,org with the subject line Attn: Jack Kitterhing

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• MoniQ

Jack, for MarketPress, I am trying to avoid long global-category-lists in the sidebar of the main site. Having parent and child names all together in one alphabetical list is not going to be pretty.

In widget/shortcode, I can specify a number for "global category list", say 10 out of 50 names. What happens to the other names? Will a scroll bar appear? This would help a lot.

I will be entering a final category list soon, in the effort to gain some control over how categories will look, and try and keep things simple. For the whole network, I will add 10 parent categories, each with no more than 10 child categories (I hope to copy it to new sites, with new blog templates). From there, how can I:

1) Prevent site admins from adding/changing categories/tags?

If I understand correctly, I can prevent site admins from accessing custompress. Will that prevent them from changing the marketpress categories/tags? Does custompress basically take over categorie/tag management from MarketPress?

2) List the 10 parent names in the sidebar without child names?

3) Have child names list elsewhere, when parent name is chosen?

For example, (a) My original wish was to make child names pop underneath a parent name when clicked, tabbed over a bit. (b) Or, create a pull down menu in the sidebar of parent names. When selected, its10 child names list beneath that is the sidebar. (b) Another option, is to put child names at the top of a page-template, with the product grid search underneath.

If I control the global list, could I code using basic html?
    Can you suggest a working menu I could follow?

Thanks for your patience.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @MoniQ

Hope your well today and thanks for the additional information.

I've taken a look at your site,

I can specify a number for "global category list", say 10 out of 50 names. What happens to the other names? Will a scroll bar appear? This would help a lot.

I'm afraid not, that basically controls what shows, so the other categories wouldn't actually appear if that makes sense?

1: Out of the box, no, CustomPress wouldn't restrict that, you could use a user role editor, to restrict the permissions for them to not be able to edit categories/tags, that would be the better way.

2: I'd actually recommend just using a simple list for that, rather than a actual shortcode, i.e, a simple html list with some classes to style with css :slight_smile:

3: Linked in with the above or somewhere else on the site? So as a on click way do you mean? So you don't want it to be a dropdown?

If I control the global list, could I code using basic html?

I would suggest if the categories aren't really going to change, to do that :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.,

• MoniQ

Jack, thanks. So if I understand correctly...

1) install a user plugin to stop site admins from adding to cats/tags?
    CustomPress won't do this?
    Can you recommend a user plugin?
    I am nervous because someone had an issue with multi user management - they had to do a fix for each new site (shop) that was added, after they installed it.

2) add an html list of global parent category names on the home page sidebar.
    Link each to its global search (I think I can copy these links in).
    Figure out later how to add child category names into the picture. But still allow people to add their products to them.

Do you know of html code I can use to build a sidebar menu of my own (where you click a parent name, 10 child names open below that).

I am not happy with the global category/tag issue. I wish there was some kind of menu system we could choose from, to design a better function. It seems there is potential to work on this.

Thank you.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @MoniQ

Hope your well today.

1: That's correct, CustomPress won't do this, you'd be best to use this http://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/, I've tested that on my own multisite and it worked perfectly for me :slight_smile:

2: We'd need some jQuery or similar, with the basic HTML, you can create a list, but not have the open on dropdown, I'll include my colleague @Ashok for his advice on that :slight_smile:

On the site categories, that is currently a feature request for that widget, to make a global categories widget from that for MarketPress, though there hasn't been a lot of interest in that.

For the manage_categories, you can also use the user role editor for that :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Ash

Hi @MoniQ

Please add the following code in your footer.php:

<script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(function($) {
        $('.product_category > ul > li > a').click(function(e) {
            e.preventDefault();
            var parent = $(this).parent(),
                child = parent.find('ul');
            if(child.length) {
                child.slideToggle();
            }
            else {
                window.location.href = $(this).attr('href');
            }
        });
    });
    </script>

And add this in your stylesheet:

.product_category .children{
    display: none;
    }

Note that, categories with no product won't be appeared in the list.

Please check and let me know if it works.

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

Hello Jack. I started a new thread to deal with building a new animated list in the sidebar.

--I installed multisite user management. Is it possible to turn manage_categories off with this plugin?

I am deleting all existing categories. I will rebuild the new list in the site-template. I don't know why edited names will not show up, and I will need to figure out how to indent sub-cats below parents eventually.

--It would be nice to figure out why the sidebar is chopping up my content. It seems to have a limited height or it reacts with various elements.

Thanks.

• MoniQ

While I work on my global product category list, I wonder if you could help me figure out why my sidebar widget is not handling internal widgets. I have arranged items in a way to produce the least amount of craziness.

1) This shot shows you how the tags are bumped out of the colour background above. Colour should be throughout.

2) This screenshot shows the "site categories" pull down menu "way out" of the sidebar, bottom left.

When I use a widget title, the dotted line goes right across the page. When I rearrange things, and items manage to stay in the sidebar, the dotted line will still go across the page.

You can see I use a "browse" title for global categories, but that only works because it is above the search form I think. If I drop it below that, the line goes across the page and the background colour chops up even worse.

3) Sidebar widget admin panels.

I am using a shortcode for mp_global_tag_cloud because the actual widget produces more craziness.

Thank you.

• MoniQ

Ashok it seems the search form I have in my sidebar may be what is throwing formatting off. Am I missing a "clear" statement or something in my css. CSS for mp-storepicker and searchform/submit:

#sidebar #mp-storepicker {
    width: 100%;
    margin: 0;
    }

#sidebar #mp-storepicker select {
    border: 1px solid #dddddd;
    }

#searchform{
    width:180px;
    }
    #s{
    width: 168px;
    border: 1px solid #dddddd !important;
    }
    #searchsubmit{
    background:#f2f2df;
    font-weight: 300;
    font-size: 12px;
    }

• MoniQ

I created my product category list in marketpress.
    - The list did not order properly in admin menu edit. I had to rebuild order.
    - If I get it mixed up (some sub-cats are same name) my sidebar menu will display the wrong product items. I think I got it right though.

In the admin menu edit, I tried to build a Product Category Menu.
    - It would not complete the list. Is there a way to allow a longer list i.e. 100 items? I am short 18 items. It cuts me off.

I installed jquery vertical accordion. Styled it alright. Handles the menu how I would like. Just not sure how to do the next steps...

Because of the above issues, should I rebuild my list in custompress?
    Can I bring that custom-list into admin Menu edit, to then bring over to sidebar widget accordion menu? Or can I bypass the menu edit page - will the jquery widget pull in the custom list?

Oh - the sidebar does not kick out this accordion menu as long as I keep all 10 parent cats and sub-cats in same menu. If I try to separate them to (so I can get my 18 names missing) it spits the menus out of the widget. So, if I can rebuild in custompress and pull in that way, maybe I can avoid Menu edit page altogether?!

Thank you!

• MoniQ

Ashok, the script you provided popped in the "Shopping Network" pull down menu successfully. The Fundraising menu was left out, so I have removed it for now. In my shop-template I managed to get half the sidebar items on the background colour and half on white. How can I get background colour to drop behind all sidebar items?

On main site, to test, I added a jquery accordion menu widget between the storepicker and search form, to get ready to add new global product menu via CustomPress. Unfortunately the Menu has no background colour; splits sidebar up even more.

I successfully added a jquery accordion menu in the shop-template by first populating MarketPress product categories. Then used Appearance/Menus to format so jquery would see it. Unfortunately, Menus cut off my list by 18 categories!

So I am going to try and build a new list in custompress (thread). Can you tell me if jquery widget will recognize a custompress list (to bypass Menus)? How do I replace MarketPress Product Categories with a CustomPress list so shop merchants can use it in each site?

• Ash

Will user role conflict with multisite user management?

It should not conflict with each other.

Ashok, I must have put your script in the wrong place in the footer.php. My main site footer is no longer floating right. The 3 columns sit center.

You can try to put that code in header.php too. Just after wp_head() function call.

About the sidebar issue, I think this is the problem in your theme, any of the ending html tag is missing. That's why sidebar items are going down.

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

Ashok, in the footer.php screenshot above there are 2 "</div>" that don't have a beginning <>. Is this a mistake? Or is this how elements are cleared?

Where would I find the missing html tag? sidebar, pages, posts, footer, header...

Would it be the extra sidebar css for the storepicker and search form?

.widget{background:#f2f2df;padding:4px;margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;overflow: hidden;}
    .footer-widget,#footer .side{float:left;margin-right:0px;width:165px;}
    #footer .end{margin-right:0px !important;}

#sidebar .widgettitle{display:none;}
    #sidebar,.side{width:180px;margin-right:0px;}
    #sidebar{font-size:14px;font-family:Tahoma,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;line-height:22px;color:#878787;}
    #sidebar ul{margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;}
    #sidebar li{font-size:14px;font-family:Tahoma,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;line-height:10px;list-style:none;}

#footer-widgets .widget{background:none;}
    #footer-widgets #wp-calendar tbody td{background:none;border:none;}

#sidebar #mp-storepicker {
    margin: 0;
    }

#sidebar #mp-storepicker select {
    }

#searchform{
    width:180px;
    }
    #s{
    width: 168px;
    border: 1px solid #dddddd !important;
    }
    #searchsubmit{
    background:#f2f2df;
    font-weight: 300;
    font-size: 12px;
    }
  • MoniQ

shop-template Sidebar:

in first text widget:
    [storepicker]

2nd "jQuery Accordion Menu" widget (plugin)
    Uses MP Product Category Menu I created in "Appearance/Menus"
    (Pulled in current MP product categories. Kicks out 18 categories because Menus-Editor does not handle 100 items - can we fix this?)

3rd "Search" widget (using extra css to polish, refer above)

4th text widget:

<br />
    Shop to Make a Difference!
    [mp_global_tag_cloud include="tags" limit="10" seperator=" | "]
    <br />

5th "Site Categories" widget (drop down menu)

• MoniQ

Ashok, sorry for the confusion.

I uninstalled jQuery vertical accordion menu plugin. I added your footer.php and css for your menu. It does not work in the main-site for global product category list in the sidebar (I have 3 product categories, and one product - I have not listed all the 100 categories yet). I don't have any products in the shop-template (but I have all 100 categories in there), so no categories show up yet.

How should I list product_categories in sidebar for that script? Can I use the Global Product Category widget, or do I list parent names only, or does the code do that for me?

Next, I need to fix sidebar to ensure widgets display alright. Need background to show up. I don't know where to find html code that may be missing to solve mess, i.e. would a page affect the sidebar, or is it something in the sidebar affecting this?

Next, the Menus-Editor in Appearance/Menus for global product categories,allows me to load all 100 categories, but when I save it only keeps 82. Is there a way to expand its limitations so I can have a complete list for the main-site?

Next, I need to finish new blog templates, and test a new shop creation so I can add products in and test menus, etc. I am still not sure how to get an accordion menu to work for global product categories in main-site.

Question: I need to decide whether I am copying the list of 100 to every new site, so they can have a full accordion menu on their shop page. It does not make sense if they will only use a part of it - so that is where the idea that categories do not show up unless populated. The jQuery plugin I tested does not do that, but your menu should. But how do I get these to work for global on main-site?

Thanks!

• MoniQ

@ Ashok

I have worked through a few things... GridMarket has bugs I think.

help - Is there a way to "fix" the sidebar, to display a consistent background down the full height of the widgets?

yay - jQuery accordion menu works great with Marketpress - for local shop product_category searches.

help - Appearance/Menus will only allow 82 categories. Is there a way to extend this to 100, so that I can use my fixed-list in the main-site menu?

help - How do I make this menu bring up Global Products for my main site searches?

Thanks.

• Ash

Hi there

Is there a way to "fix" the sidebar, to display a consistent background down the full height of the widgets?

Use the following code in your stylesheet:

#sidebar{
    background: #f2f2df;
    padding-bottom: 10px;
    }

jQuery accordion menu works great with Marketpress - for local shop product_category searches.

Glad to hear.

Appearance/Menus will only allow 82 categories. Is there a way to extend this to 100, so that I can use my fixed-list in the main-site menu?

This should not be liked that. Would you please show me an example in your link?

How do I make this menu bring up Global Products for my main site searches?

Please take a look here: http://www.marketpressthemes.com/
    There is a plugin Better Product Search, that might work.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

@Ashok, here are images of Menu-Editor.

1) and 2) show menu not ordering categories properly. Makes it hard to build menu when I do not know if I am grabbing the correct sub-cat, as some are identical. (Created fixed list in MarketPress: 10 parent names, each with 10 sub-categories.)

3) shows menu after I saved. it cut out 18 categories. ends with "Women" and only 2 sub-cat names. I did this 2 times, re-entering and saving. No go.

If this is a malfunction, could SSL issues cause this? (thread here)
    And what about sidebar issues? Is SSL a factor too?

4) shows an accordion menu at work. this is better than the very nice marketpress.com search engine, only because it "shows" what is in the store. I would like to know if it is possible to code a fixed list with marketpress global product category searching.

• MoniQ

@PC @Ashok hello.

Main site menu sample is here.
    (I don't know why it hover-highlights the whole list.)

1) Appearance/Menus will only save 82 categories. Menu is short for "Pets" and is missing one other parent category. Is there a way to extend/fix so I can save the last 18 product categories to complete fixed-list for main-site menu? (images of menus-editor above)

2) Current jQuery menu uses strange URLs (.../blog/shop/items/browse/category). I tried creating a main menu as well - same issue. How can I get this menu to bring up Global Products for main site searches? What is involved? (Where do I find the actual menu button script? Is it possible to do this with a fixed list? Are there instructions out there?)

http://www.marketpressthemes.com MP Product Search Widget is sweet... but all global search options available ignore hierarchy for a list, and will get too long as categories fill up and shops populate. My goal is to display a list to give users an idea of inventory - menu does not have to populate until full, but still the list builds up to the maximum sample menu above.

Another option is to place a 10 parent menu list on the sidebar, each going to a page with a set of 10 child category search. I would love to use MarketPress.com soft or advanced search menu for that, but when I tried to define a fixed set of slugs for the pull down menu category-filter, the grid of products did not display!

I went here to try and learn Saunt's method, but need help with that. I need a page template, add his code/add 10 child-categories, and get buttons to work.

I wish a local and global product category menu option was available for MartketPress, using a fixed set of values and jQuery accordion menu function.

I am working hard to find something that will provide a good shopping experience.

• MoniQ

@Ashok

Hello!

I have a great looking network homepage but my fixed global product category list (accordion menu) requires help.

I also have a global tag cloud that will not print updated category names. Meaning, I updated the names, not the slugs, but the old names still appear in the menu. This also happens with the global product category list - it will not update name changes (if I use the available global widgets instead of my own fixed menu).

That is one of many reasons why I have created my network wide fixed product category list, and tag cloud. But now I need help to get it to work.

My menu system is not providing correct web-links for each menu item. I have successfully created a fixed product category list in MarketPress, but when I use the menu system to transfer it to a main or sidebar menu I have issues:

1) appearance/menu will not save all 100 names, only 82
    2) sidebar widgets pull in menu fine, but do not have correct web-links
    2a) I need to learn how to get my current sidebar menu buttons to pull up global MarketPress searches - is there help out there for this?
    3) For some reason the current sidebar, on hover, activates the whole menu list - very confusing to search with.

Any help you can provide would be great.
    Thanks!

• Ash

Hi @MoniQ

Do you any sitemap related plugin? Please deactivate that one or all other plugins and try to create menu items? If you still can't please contact your host and ask them to increate the value like following:

suhosin.post.max_vars = 2048
    suhosin.request.max_vars = 2048

sidebar widgets pull in menu fine, but do not have correct web-links

You can add custom links in the menu items and add your own links.

I need to learn how to get my current sidebar menu buttons to pull up global MarketPress searches - is there help out there for this?

Sorry this is not quite clear to me :slight_frown: but as far I understand you need to developer custom plugin to do this.

For some reason the current sidebar, on hover, activates the whole menu list - very confusing to search with.

This is the hover effect you are using :slight_smile: You may notice that when you hover over a box in the sidebar, the color is changed with a little animation. Similarly, when you hover over the last box, the color is changed.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

@Ashok, thank you!

Asking server host to increase value - will solve custom menu, so that I can save 18 remaining names?

I uninstalled plugins. Created a custom menu "menu testing". First parent was brought in via "Products" (local). Second parent was brought in using "Product Categories" (is this global or local?). Added 3 child names under that one (notice all menu item id#s match MarketPress categories list I made). Used jQuery widget to pull into sidebar.

<div id="sidebar" class="span4">
        <div class="well sidebar-widget-well">
            <div id="dc_jqaccordion_widget-5-item" class="dcjq-accordion">
                <ul id="menu-menu-testing" class="menu">
                    <li id="menu-item-1028" class="menu-item menu-item-type-post_type menu-item-object-product current-menu-item menu-item-1028">
                        <a href="http://artcommons.ca/shop/items/wanderlust">
                            Wanderlust
                        </a>
                    </li>
                    <li id="menu-item-1029" class="menu-item menu-item-type-taxonomy menu-item-object-product_category current-product-ancestor menu-item-has-children menu-item-1029 dcjq-parent-li">
                        <a class="dcjq-parent active" href="http://artcommons.ca/blog/shop/items/browse/art-design">
                            Fine Art & Design
                            <span class="dcjq-icon"></span>
                        </a>
                        <ul class="sub-menu" style="display: block;">
                            <li id="menu-item-1030" class="menu-item menu-item-type-taxonomy menu-item-object-product_category menu-item-1030"> … </li>
                            <li id="menu-item-1031" class="menu-item menu-item-type-taxonomy menu-item-object-product_category menu-item-1031"> … </li>
                            <li id="menu-item-1032" class="menu-item menu-item-type-taxonomy menu-item-object-product_category menu-item-1032"> … </li>
                        </ul>
                    </li>
                </ul>
            </div>
        </div>
        <div class="clear"></div>

Products is acting correctly /shop/items/name
    Product Categories is not. Should be /shop/browse/name

If I check the sidebar widget "Global Product Category" menu, it looks like this:

<div class="well sidebar-widget-well">
        <h4 class="sidebar-widget-title">
            Global Product Categories
        </h4>
        <ul id="mp_category_list">
            <li>
                <a title="1 Products" href="http://artcommons.ca/shop/browse/painting/">
                    Painting
                </a>
            </li>
        </ul>
    </div>
    <div class="clear"></div>

How does this menu pull global product searches?
    Does <ul id="mp_category_list"> call a global product category search?
    Or is it enough to use URL /shop/browse/name?

If so, can I go back to custom menu, to add a custom link for all 100 items, defining
    URL: http://domain/shop/browse/slug
    Link text: (what is this?)

Will this pull up global product search?
    If not, what am I missing?

i.e. how do I add id="mp_category_list" to this? Could I go into jQuery script and add it somewhere?

how do I get <ul id="menu-menu-testing" class="menu">
    to use this <ul id="mp_category_list">

Thanks Ashok!

• MoniQ

@ Ahok,
    I have MarketPress multisite installed. I am using WP Appearance/Menus and a jQuery accordion menu plugin to build the main site global product category menu. I am now using Pro3, a MarketPress.com theme, for the infrastructure.

I would like info before your team leaves for holidays, so I can continue working to launch site in new year :slight_smile:

1) I have asked server admin to increase values you recommend. Still pending. So I have not been able to add all 100 mp-prod-cat fixed-list yet.

2) What is best-simplest way to program "accordion menu" (10 parents, each with 10 children). What is the correct "custom-link" to add to parent button? To its children buttons? If each of the 100 items have their own unique slug, will this work to call up a global product category search grid?

Add custom-link to each:
    URL: http://domain/shop/browse/slug
    Link text: (what is this, alt-text? i.e. add " Painting ")

3) Option 2. List "parent menu" only, and add custom-links to each. Click parent-button to go to its "child menu" page.php... This involves php - I am a beginner! I found Saunt's template at bottom of thread. How do I add a child-list that will also work with a global product grid below it?

Ashok, for a beginner, which is the best way to go 2 or 3?

Thank you!

• Ash

Hi Moniq

For #2, you can create menu with custom links. In that case URL: http://domain/shop/browse/slug is correct but for "Link text" you need to put the word that you want to be linked.

About the according, I gave you some code, you can use that. Or if you create a menu like this I will try to give you code again. How does it sound? :slight_smile:

#3: I am sorry I am not quite clear about this :slight_frown: Would you please show with some example?

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

Ashok, sorry. I am not clear.

"Link text" you need to put the word that you want to be linked.

Could you give me an example?

Custom link for global search: http://domain/shop/browse/slug
    Link Text: slug
    or
    Link Text: category name I want to display on button

Ashok, if you are willing to help me code the accordion menu for the main site, then I can omit option 2. Main goal is to use menu to search fixed-list throughout network. I hope I am putting the correct url into the 100 custom links!

Thank you!

• Ash

Hi there

Sorry, I should have explained better.

Custom link for global search: http://domain/shop/browse/slug
    Link Text: slug
    or
    Link Text: category name I want to display on button

This is Link Text: category name I want to display on button. Please check screenshot.

Ashok, if you are willing to help me code the accordion menu for the main site, then I can omit option 2.

If you can display the all categories and sub categories, I think I will be able to give you code for accordion :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

Ashok, I asked server admin to install patches and make your adjustments. He has refused. So I am not sure what I can do about this:

Do you any sitemap related plugin? Please deactivate that one or all other plugins and try to create menu items? If you still can't please contact your host and ask them to increase the value like following:

suhosin.post.max_vars = 2048
    suhosin.request.max_vars = 2048

Instead, I eliminated 18 product categories from the jQuery main-site product category menu. I have not changed the original marketpress product categories, just in case I can repair the menu later on.

I will let you know as soon as I have all the custom links in today/tomorrow.

I have posted a new issue: WP SSL. I wondered if you have recommendations there too.

Thank you Ashok!

• MoniQ

@Ashok, I am working on main site navigation menu today. Could use help to find out why the "shop-template" nav menu, which uses the same jQuery Accordion Menu plugin as the main site (but has only 2 menu items) is not using the themes li icons, nor jQuery skin css like the main site is. Maybe jQuery plugin will not work on sub-directory sites? Can this be fixed?

Would SSL issues cause jQuery not to work? In another thread, I solved SSL issues except 2. A mismatched domain name in the security certificate which I requested server admin fix; and Site Category and my Pro3 global floating menu use http to list global sites. The site is now padlocked, but wish I knew how to force them to use https. Just want to know if this will cause issues for menu (or eCommerce, or other things down the road).

I have asked the server admin again to install suhosin patch to increase values you recommend. Do I need patch and/or extension installed, or both? Also, if he does not do it, is there something else I can do besides reducing number of categories?

Details: I have multisite, MarketPress, jQuery Accordion Menu plugin and the Pro3 theme.

Thank you Ashok!
    Happy New Year 2014 :slight_smile:

• MoniQ

@Ashok, thank you. Want to check this out before I use the shop-template to create other new sites...

Completed the main site fixed-list for "global product-category menu".
    Added all custom links in appearance/menu (short 18 still - no word from server admin).
    Using a "jQuery Accordion Menu" plugin (not your menu script). (I use your script in subsite, but have not been able to test with products yet:slight_smile:

Is this the right URL to use for global product search calls "https://artcommons.ca/shop/browse/link-text". Hope this works :slight_smile:

Is there a way to add script to the jQuery plugin, to show product-counts for just the child sub-menus, not the parents? (It has the option to show product counts for all. Want to avoid displaying (0) on parent buttons).

After all this work today, I found the jQuery plugin will not show icons/css skins for parents that do not have child sub-menus. When testing in the shop-template for the 2 button menu, I realized the buttons look like child sub-menus, not parents. How can I add css skin to a one layer menu without affecting the parent/child sub-menus elsewhere on the network? Is this possible? If not, no worries:slight_smile:
    {background: url(skins/images/arrow_grey_down.png) no-repeat 0 center;}

Thank You!

• MoniQ

@Ashok, thank you for helping me get through menu hurdles. Server admin followed up on request to install suhosin patch and make variable changes as you recommended. He found another way to expand the limited menu system in "WP Appearance/Menus" so I could add more than 83 items ...

Stock PHP itself has a very similar setting, max_input_vars, with a similar default value of 1000. Changing this in php.ini fixed it:

; How many GET/POST/COOKIE input variables may be accepted
    max_input_vars = 4000

How we diagnosed this: I was given the admin login and talked through the steps of adding more menu items. The 84th menu item was not retained on save, so I looked at the PHP error log and saw:

[Sat Jan 04 17:16:12 2014] [error] [client IP#] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0, referer: https://domain.ca/wp-admin/nav-menus.php

Incidentally, this fix is also covered by one of the first Google results for the search "wordpress nav menu won't add items too long" (or similar):

http://sevenspark.com/wordpress/menu-item-limit

...which mentions the suhosin adjustments as well. Interesting that you found a bunch of pages which apparently *only* covered the suhosin settings, without mentioning the base PHP one...

Now the main site menu is in place, I can go ahead and finish button details and test global product search this week with a few test shops.

1) If I enable "show product count" in jQuery menu widget, is there a way to HIDE product count in CSS for parents only (I would like count to show only for child sub-menu buttons)?

2) I tried to add jQuery plugin CSS to my "grey styles" and also in main pro.css. Both places did not activate css. So if I change a line in the plugin script to refer to css, after a plugin update, I will lose that link. Any suggestions on how to protect this css?

Thank you !

• Ash

Hi Moniq

If I enable "show product count" in jQuery menu widget, is there a way to HIDE product count in CSS for parents only (I would like count to show only for child sub-menu buttons)?

I am not sure, as I don't have any idea about jQuery menu widget, I need to check it. Is it possible to share login details and tell me some more explanation?

I tried to add jQuery plugin CSS to my "grey styles" and also in main pro.css. Both places did not activate css. So if I change a line in the plugin script to refer to css, after a plugin update, I will lose that link. Any suggestions on how to protect this css?

You can My Custom CSS plugin to use your own css, and that won't overwrite in any update.

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

@Ashok,
    Installed My custom css and activated network wide. Is there a step I am missing? It does not work. I notice this in the page source code:

<!-- My Custom CSS Start -->
    <style type="text/css">
    /* Plugin Author: Salvatore Noschese */
    @import url('https://artcommons.ca/wp-content/plugins/my-custom-css/my_style.css?');
    /* Also known as: DarkWolf - https://www.darkwolf.it/ */
    </style>
    <!-- My Custom CSS End -->

I am using jQuery Accordion Menu Widget. When I select product count in the widget, parent buttons show i.e. (10). This relates to the number of submenus per parent, not products. I would like to hide this and only show product-count in submenus; how many products available per category globally.

I will send you login access. Let me know if you require sftp.

Thanks.

• Ash

My Custom CSS is not properly installed for some reason. I have installed another plugin Simple Custom CSS, you will find it in Appearance > Custom CSS.

Note that, in your custom css "#dc_jqaccordion_widget-%ID%-item" is not a valid selctor, not sure how you got this.

About the accordion widget, we have nothing to do from interface. The codesneed to be changed to achieve what you want.

Also, if you need to customise this then you can post a job in our job board where you can hire a developer to assist further: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

So close... ): Thanks for all your help @Ashok, @Jack and @PC.
    Do I get a prize for longest thread! Free lifetime membership. LOL.
    Closing thread.

review...
    I have worked many weeks to get this far. Figuring out global and local product-category menus, widgets and short-codes; how they work, what their strengths and weaknesses are, how they look and what is going to end up on the page as shops populate products down the road, and what not to let shop admins do if you want a clean global search option, and how making a fixed menu is really the best option for a multisite shop - at least that is how I will be starting this one out :slight_smile:

I am not happy with MarketPress product category or product menus & search options. Perhaps there could be a plugin made specifically for this potential improvement. Maybe it could involve Site Categories somehow.

I found GridMarket theme did not handle things well in the sidebar, so I switched themes. I found I had to use a custom product-cat link menu system to tick all my boxes, and a jQuery menu plugin to get things to look nice, but now I need to pay a programmer to add two more functions in to complete this menu - show product count on sub-menu buttons (for global main site and local sub-sites), and hide empty product-category sub-menus only in shop sub-sites! I hope this is possible:slight_smile:

I found the hierarchy issue ruled out the global product category menu. I found the look ruled out the local product category menu (I hope to get Ashok's code working with this one to add jQuery accordion function). I had to add user-role editor and easy-blogging plugins to add controls so stop admins from adding new product categories and tags, etc. I found the Appearance/Menus custom "Links" had 2 drawbacks; would not load more than 83 names, and if I used the MarketPress Products Categories it totally blew the hierarchy and order forcing me to re-sort all fixed items. Using the Product menu does not make sense unless it can automatically add products as shop admins add inventory.

Thanks for all your help!
    I am off to find a programmer now :wink:
    Cheers.

• MoniQ

@Ashok, I am not using the jQuery Accordion Menu plugin in subsites until I can find someone to program it for me.

I would like to test your script in subsite test-shops this week:

I put your jQuery menu script in the Shop Demo
    (subsite, theme options, code integration, " Header Code")

I added your CSS to hide children (in Custom CSS plugin you installed).

I created a fixed menu in Appearance/Menus. Do I use that with the MP Product Category widget? Will your script work in the shop now?

Thank you!