How do I fix this, I cannot edit a new site in my Gridmarket-MarketPress network?

I have a MarketPress multisite - GridMarket network activated. (FrameMarket is in the theme folder with GridMarket.)

I spent a few weeks building static web pages in my primary site.

Then as super admin, I created my first new site today to add to my network. I can see it listed in here "My Sites, Network Admin, Sites" - but not under my primary site in the drop-down menu at the top here "My Sites".

(a) My brand new network is broken! How can I edit a new site?

(b) The theme is not working in the new site! In "My Sites, Network Admin, Sites", when I "edit" the new site listed, I see the info, users, themes, settings tabs. Enter "settings" tab, I see TwentyTweleve theme activated (not true), and when I visit the site it is only text based (ugly). GridMarket Theme is network activated - but if I change it manually right there in settings, of course, that kills the website (help:slight_smile:

I cannot edit the site via
- the "dashboard".
- http://domain.ca/newsite/wp-admin.

I tried logging in and out.

The user should not have to activate her site via email, as I created it in super admin.

(I have an open issue stream regarding a broken primary-site homepage, that may reveal something relating to this, or not: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-customize-default-page-templates-and-add-new-ones-to-use-in-my-gridmarket-network?replies=9#post-533423)

(Maybe this is related too. I have permalinks that do not work properly. For example, when I browse for an item, go into its page, the URL looks like this "http://domain.ca/shop/items/productname". From there I go to a static web page for info and the URL looks like this: http://domain.ca/shop/items/staticpagename". It does not loose the "/shop/items/".

Thank you WPMU Dev Team.

• Ash

Hello there

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

A lots of complex issue. Would it be possible to send login details to me so that I can take a closer look?

To send details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash
    Details: Send all required details (admin info and/or ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.
    Also post a note here once you send the info.

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash

As we discussed in other thread,

Then as super admin, I created my first new site today to add to my network. I can see it listed in here "My Sites, Network Admin, Sites" - but not under my primary site in the drop-down menu at the top here "My Sites".

If you create the subsite you should be able to see the site under My Sites. Please go to network admin then from left nav Sites > All sites. Then do you see yourself as an user in the user column for the subsite? Screenshot attached.

(I have an open issue stream regarding a broken primary-site homepage, that may reveal something relating to this, or not: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-customize-default-page-templates-and-add-new-ones-to-use-in-my-gridmarket-network?replies=9#post-533423)

This thread is already handled by our another member @Ari, so it's better to leave it to him. Though, my suggestion will be to update the theme. Or delete via ftp and upload again. Editing a theme is not a good option, you can use child theme of a main theme and try a lot experiment on that child theme. You can learn about child theme here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/the-buddypress-manual-2/what-are-parent-and-child-themes/
    http://wp.tutsplus.com/tutorials/theme-development/child-themes-basics-and-creating-child-themes-in-wordpress/
    Always keep a backup of last working files :slight_smile:

(Maybe this is related too. I have permalinks that do not work properly. For example, when I browse for an item, go into its page, the URL looks like this "http://domain.ca/shop/items/productname". From there I go to a static web page for info and the URL looks like this: http://domain.ca/shop/items/staticpagename". It does not loose the "/shop/items/".

How did you create link for static page? If you use like:
    <a href="/staticpagename">Static page link</a>
    or
    <a href="staticpagename">Static page link</a>
    It won't work. You need to put whole absolute URL like:
    <a href="http://domain.ca/staticpagename">Static page link</a>

Only then it will work.

Please let me know if it is helpful and feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

Ashok, sorry for delay. I emailed you site access.

1) Initiating a new site on my network:
    I see the new site listed in the super admin-dashboard "sites", just not in the above drop down menu. When I created the new site, I made the shop merchant "admin user". I assumed this would still allow me super admin access to initiate the site.

- Will I have to manually enter myself as the admin for each new site?
    - Then create a new "admin user" to make her second admin, to manage her shop?
    - Can there be more than one admin per site?
    - Is there better user access to give a shop merchant who will be managing her own space - "editor", "author" or "contributor?

I noticed I cannot change the username now.
    - Should I delete the site to start over?
    - If I delete it, will this leave behind database junk that will cause errors later on?

2) Theme update:
    I will swap in a fresh copy of FrameMarket just in case.
    I updated WP and noticed that fixed the homepage edit issue! YAY
    (I do all my work in GridMarket theme, but this change I made to clean up the homepage initially, was an act of desperation. I obviously went beyond the parent theme! I will also make more local WWW back ups during development.)

3) Ahh. Yes. I was lazy and did not add in the full url. This is now fixed too.

Thank you Ashok.
    Very grateful!

• Ash

Hi there

Will I have to manually enter myself as the admin for each new site?

If you create the new site from your network admin, then you will be automatically added in that site. If the visitor creates the site, then you have to add yourself manually.

Then create a new "admin user" to make her second admin, to manage her shop?

If you create the subsite, then YES :slight_smile:

Can there be more than one admin per site?

Of course, there can me as many admin as you want, but only one super admin, that is the network admin.

Is there better user access to give a shop merchant who will be managing her own space - "editor", "author" or "contributor?

If he manages his own space why don't you give him admin access, He will only be able to access his shop, not others.

Should I delete the site to start over?

You can not change the username, it's not possible. Well, it's possible - if you edit the username through database. If you go to your wp_users and wp_x_users table, then you will see that username and change it.

If I delete it, will this leave behind database junk that will cause errors later on?

No, all tables related that site will be deleted. But if any plugin tables keep information about that site in the global table, then we have nothing to do, we can't remove those.

And yes, it's better to keep a backup always. You can use our plugin Snapshot(https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/) that will keep a automatic bakcup and save it into your desired place (Dropbox/locally etc).

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

Ashok, thank you for all your answers.

I created this first site as Network Admin or Super Admin. I should have entered my nickname and email address in to the first user file as admin in order to initialize the site - correct? Do I have to login/out to get the site to register after that, or does it automatically add itself to the network?

I will delete the first site I made and redo. I hope it works cleanly.

Thank you!

• MoniQ

Ashok, before I create a new site, I would like to ensure my admin email address is updated. I have changed the address, but it won't update.

Note appears below the old admin email address (for days now) after I tried to update it:

There is a pending change of your e-mail to name@domain.ca. Cancel

Do I have to login/out, or check something else to make this update properly?

Thanks.

• MoniQ

Hello Ashok.

I had an issue with mail server. Now fixed. Re-submitted admin email address change, and received email to confirm update. New address appears in the admin field now. Great.

BUT the WP site still uses my old admin email address! I have read all the forums out there as recommended. (a) I will do a database search/replace, but this is known to not fix this issue entirely. (b) Deactivating all plugins prior to email address update is a temp fix too apparently. (Other shop users will not do that one for sure.)

As last resort, I guess I could change the email address back to the old one, and put a note to shop merchants, to never update their admin email address - maybe that should be a note in WP, just like for the username. Can anyone in the WP world solve this one? Advice?

Created New Site using my updated admin email address. Received email confirmation. Unfortunately I get an error when I try to edit new site - or visit new site from confirmation email. If that is how I have to activate it, I guess I am stuck. (I forwarded error to my sever admin.)

The page isn't redirecting properly
    Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
    This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

Gridmarket theme is not activated in the new site, nor do I see it available (as it is network activated already). I take it this does not work until site is confirmed.

New site appears in the New Site drop down list. Farther than I got before.

Is my old admin email address causing this error, or is this a virtual server issue?

I have twentytwelve/twentythirteen themes also installed but not activated. Could I go ahead and delete these 2 if I don't use them, or is it a good idea to have an unused backup theme for emergencies?

Thank you.

• Ash

BUT the WP site still uses my old admin email address!

Did you update the email address from your network admin then Settings > Network Settings > Network Admin Email ? Screenshot attached. WP will consider this email as master email address.

#2. Are you using any plugin like membership or pro sites? Can you edit other sites in your network? Did you get the same error in other browsers? It could be browser cookies issue. Please let me know.

Is my old admin email address causing this error, or is this a virtual server issue?

No, your email is not causing this error. It could be server issue or any settings (plugin or theme) issue. You also can check deactivating all plugins please.

Could I go ahead and delete these 2 if I don't use them, or is it a good idea to have an unused backup theme for emergencies?

We always discourage people not to delete those. Because when you got any error, we suggest to check activating default theme to check if it's a theme compatibility issue. Your inactive never be harmful for you :slight_smile: So, it's worth to keep those.

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

Ashok, thank you. This is my third trial at setting up a shop. I hope my server admin gets back to me soon. At this point, I am not in a good position to create a network of shops. By now, I should have a shop template done and ready to go.

Did you update the email address from your network admin then Settings > Network Settings > Network Admin Email?
    Yes. I also made sure it is consistently updated throughout. No change.

Are you using any plugin like membership or pro sites?
    No

I deactivated network plugins (adkismet, easyrotator, marketpress, dev dashboard). Re-saved new admin email, sent contact us form, accessed new site.
    No change.

Error when I try to access wp-admin and dashboard for new site.

Did you get the same error in other browsers?
    Yes. I tried IE and got:

This page can't be displayed
    •Make sure the web address http://domain.ca is correct.
    •Look for the page with your search engine.
    •Refresh the page in a few minutes.

It could be browser cookies issue.
    I don't fully understand how cookies could be a barrier to setting up a new site.

Visiting new site - no theme applied (should be network activated GridMarket). Pages are not twentythirteen either, they are text based.

In Network Admin, Sites list, when I click /sitename/ , I see tabs: info, users, themes, settings. In settings, my correct super admin email is listed, and twentythirteen theme (?), (and default role is "subscriber" - this is for posts, comments, signup/register correct?)

Could MarketPlace be the cause? What else can I check? Do you require site access at this point?

• Ash

Hi there

Sorry for the delay, was a little busy in the weekend - apologize.

Yes, site access would be fine, please send me.

To send details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Details: Send all required details (admin info and/or ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash

Hi there

Ashok, if I list my URL location in super admin as below, would this affect how sites are created?

Not at all. If your site url is with https:// then you must include the https://

I got you email but there was no username password in the email. Would you please confirm again and send?

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

Ashok, you have my username and password, it is under the site link.

I have received a reply from my server admin which may be helpful:

OK, I may have fixed it -- it was using the stock set of mod_rewrite rules and not your .htaccess file; I removed the reference to the stock ones (which was in the web server config, not anywhere in the site files) so that your .htaccess file gets priority.

Since his changes, I can...

Visit site to see twentytwelve theme, not my GridMarket network activated theme.

Enter as site admin and I see error:

Not Found
    The requested URL /chromazonestudios/wp-admin/post.php was not found on this server.
    Apache/2.2.22 (Debian) Server at artcommons.ca Port 443

Help!

• MoniQ

Ashok, my server admin came through. It was an issue between the location of the .htaccess file and sever security.

I can now visit the new site, and also edit as site admin. I will list this thread as resolved, and repost the issue below in a new thread.

Issue
    The new site is using a theme I have not activated anywhere - twentythirteen! Any reason why this might happen?

GridMarket is listed but not activated. it is acting like it has not been network activated, which it is.

Twentytwelve and FrameMarket do not show up in the list, but are in my network theme list.

I installed FrameMarket and GridMarket just as instructions recommend. I network activated GridMarket and have been customizing custom.css for a month now for my primary site. I would like to move on to create a blog template for my network, but I cannot until I know what is going on with the GridMarket Network activation that has failed.

Can you help me with this?

Thank you.

• MoniQ

Ashok, I found a Multisite thread which explains that network activating a theme does not actually activate the theme network wide as I thought it would. Why not?

In my case, after creating a new site, I see GridMarket listed in there but not activated. For some reason twentythirteen gets activated. Weird. So I have to manually go in and activate GridMarket!

Then, create my store template. Install new blog templates plugin, and configure my network to build new sites hopefully without having to redo this for every new site. Whew. Who said this was going to be easy :slight_smile:

Please let me know if I am on the right track.

Thanks Ashok for all your help.
    Appreciated.

• Ash

First off all, apologize for late reply. I was away in the weekend.

Woohoo! It's great that your server issue is fixed by the server admin. Though we had nothing to do with it about the server issue.

The new site is using a theme I have not activated anywhere - twentythirteen! Any reason why this might happen?

This is default WP behavior. When a site is created it will always use the default theme until the subsite change the theme.

GridMarket is listed but not activated. it is acting like it has not been network activated, which it is.

If you network enable GridMarket theme, then it will be listed in subsite theme directory. But it needs to be activated from subsite admin.

Twentytwelve and FrameMarket do not show up in the list, but are in my network theme list.

Are those network enabled?

until I know what is going on with the GridMarket Network activation that has failed.

I can see the GridMarket theme is enabled in subsite. Just checked chromazonestudios site now.

In my case, after creating a new site, I see GridMarket listed in there but not activated. For some reason twentythirteen gets activated. Weird. So I have to manually go in and activate GridMarket!

Yes, you need to activate the theme manually in the subsite.

And yes, with new blog template you will get a lots of flexibilities. Play with it. Let me know if you face any problem.

Please let me know if it is helpful and feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.