How do I get back into my Multisite admin?

Recently I was unable to log in to my Multisite admin so I deleted all the security plugins from FTP and all associated tabled from the database. The problem still exists however I can actually login to my sub/child sites, but every time I try and visit my parent site Dashboard I am redirected to the login screen. After I add my credentials the screen refreshes without granting me access. I changed the password via the database but it made no difference. I also changed the password via lost passoword mechanism but again this did not work. Any idea what could be going on here?
Thanks

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hi ghog,

Have you checked your .htaccess file? There is a good chance that the security plugins placed code in there that is causing problems. All you need in your .htaccess file should be what multisite instructed you to place in there during installation.

Let us know if you are still having issues!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey ghog,

Interesting... Have you tried deactivating all plugins? You can do this by renaming your plugins folder through ftp. ie. "/plugins" to "/plugins-deactivate"

Then, if you can login to your admin dashboard, you can re-name the plugins folder back to plugins and re-activate each plugin one-by-one from the admin area.

Hope this helps! As always, respond back if you are still having problems.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• ghog
    • The Incredible Code Injector

hey thanks tyler, looks like that is on the right tip. just realised i can login to all my mapped domains apart from my parent site but none of my child/sub-directory sites.
    that thread kinda points to the issue but i can't seem to find the solution in there.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @ghog, I hope you're well today!

Try the following:
    * Login via FTP top your server. Go to wp-content and rename this gfolder: wp-content/plugins to wp-content/plugins-old
    Can you login now? If yes, then a plugin is to blame. (WARNING: If this works, DO NOT, under any circumstances visit the plugins menu on your dashboard). If a plugin is to blame, then leave you old plugins folder renamed to plugins-old and create a new "plugins" folder right next to it. Start moving plugins one-by-one from plugins-old to plugins and each time you do, test again until you find the one plugin that causes your issue.

* Next step: if a plugin is not to blame, then please check if there are any files present in your wp-content folder (something like advanced-cache.php, sunrise.php etc).

* Next step: Open up your wp-config.php file. Are there any lines there that define a cache or sunrise? If yes, then please comment these lines and try again.

Just to be sure browser caches and cookies are not to blame, I would recommend you test this using Chrome on Incognito mode (While using Chrome press Ctrl-Shift-N).

Let me know if these help!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.