How do I get membership plugin to recognize profile fields on registration?

Buddypress
multisite
membership plugin
I have extended profile fields.
When a user signs up on the register page that I create the extended profile fields don't show.
If the user signs up through the regular registration link then he membership plugin doesnt' recognize him. How do I fix?.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi @Atlanta,

Sorry for the delay, I was unable to access your page last two days, I'm able to open it now but still no email received, not even in junk folder.
    Do you have any plugins that could be blocking certain email addresses?
    Which address are you using for testing, not referring to full address, just curious if you are using gmail.com, hotmail.com, yahoo.com...

Have you considered switching to Protected Content plugin as it comes with BuddyPress integration which replaces Protected Content signup form with the BuddyPress one?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi @Atlanta,

I managed to register using the gmail account, for some reason outlook didn't work on your site.

After I have registered I was assigned to complementary membership and was able to change my subscription on the subscription page.
    Also, the page you mentioned before http://mysite.org/wp/subsite/register/ (using your site of course) is not there anymore, have you moved this page?

Did you had time to check out Protected Content, it does basically the same thing as Membership but it has much nicer UI and better integration with BuddyPress?
    If you are not far in Membership setup I would suggest switching to Protected Content.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Atlanta

Hi @Predrag,

Also, the page you mentioned before http://mysite.org/wp/subsite/register/ (using your site of course) is not there anymore, have you moved this page?"
    No Predrag, I have not moved this page. When you click on the page membership plugin redirects you to the subscription page, not the register page, because you are logged in. You can see the proper url here: http://pastebin.com/fx75Cntg

2. Thanks for the recommendation on the protected content plugin. Before I go through the (possibly) lengthy process of installing and testing the plugin, will it be able to use the extended profile registration fields as part of its membership?

3. With membership plugin, I want logged out visitors to see a little bit of content and then users who are pending manual approval to see just a little bit more before they are fully approved.

Membership>options>default subscriptions for registered users.What setting do I use to automatically place people who newly sign up in the pending category? Should the box be unchecked? Should use subscription be set to none?

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Atlanta!

I'm still not finding a reason for your users not showing up once they've registered and activated. I've checked to make sure no one is stuck in limbo, and all your settings are just as they should be.

Predrag's recommendation for Protected Content may be exactly what you need here. I've got a sandbox site set up right now with both PC and BuddyPress active, connecting the registration page was super simple, and it works great. I just registered a handful of test users.

The switch over will not be nearly as lengthy or complicated as it has been with Membership. We worked with a genius UI (user interface)/UX (user experience) designer to create the Protected Content tools to make sure they're both easy to use and intuitive. Membership is great, and it can do a lot, but it's not the easiest plugin to master.

Protected Content will also let you set up a default membership, and it allows you to set rules for visitors who aren't logged in, so you'll be able to display a bit of content to visitors, and step up permissions by levels just like you've done here in Membership. There's even an importer tool, so you can take some or all of the work you've already done in Membership over to Protected Content.

How about this, why don't you create a test site in your network and install Protected Content just to see how it works, and if it would be a good fit for your plans? If you don't like it, no harm, you haven't done anything on your live site. If you do like it, you'll already be familiar with the settings and tools before you install it on your site.

If you do stay with Membership, on the General tab in Options, you can uncheck the box (but leave your pending level as the default level) if you want the default level to apply to all users who aren't in an active membership, both previously-registered and new. Check the box if you only want those settings applied to new users, not existing ones.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit!

• Michelle Shull

Hey Atlanta!

Go to the Add Ons menu, and enable Advanced Menu Protection, click "details" and choose Protect Single Menu Items (which should be the default, just make sure.) This will let you protect top- and sub-level menus.

The Add Ons are where all the magic is for specific protection, I think you'll be delighted with everything you can do from there. :slight_smile: I took a screenshot from my site to show some of the available tools.

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.