how do i get the categories to work? They do not show up on my landing page

I have set up Site categories as per interactions
Then I set categories in a new sub site sign up
on the landing page, the categories do not show up in the selected place, they only show up if i select a default for all categories.

help please

regards

JT

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @mpv

Please set the Landing Page to display an unordered list, then ensure "Hide empty categories" is set to "No" in the settings, and Counts, Description & Icons are set to "Yes" (1st screenshot).

You should see a simple list of your site categories as seen in the 2nd screenshot (I have no sites assigned to any categories)

If you trying the Grid or Accordion display styles, try setting "Category parents selectable" to "No".

• John Taylor
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Ahsok

I mean in settings,
    "choose a default setting if site admin does not choose categories"

I have set up sites with categories, they do not show up in the categories on the landing page.

will put a link as my site (you know what site is is) as I really don't need google indexing al the issues I/we are having with theWPMU plugins :slight_smile:

mysite.com/what-flavour-would-you-like/

the settings are set to : Hide Empty Categories

Al the login details are known by WPMU

thanks

JT

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi there

I have played a lot with your site though. And it seems there is a problem.

First of all would it be possible, to delete the plugin and install again?

Also, I am emailing @Patrick Cohen the test login details so that he can take a quick look.

What I noticed:
    If you set a default category, then all sites are shown in that category. And if you leave it to none, then only Legal category shows one site. But I think there is more site where categories are assigned, even in test site. Let's see what @Patrick Cohen gets with it.

Cheers
    Ash

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Ashok, thanks received and logged into site.

@mpv, This is what I'm seeing.

If I go to the primary blog and from the menu go to Site Categories > Site Categories you should see the Site Categories taxonomy terms. Note only one blog is assigned to a category, Legal. When I view the Site Categories landing page I see all the categories and only the Legal category is set to (1). All others are (0).

As Ashok mentions when you go to Site Categories > Settings and set a default category all the unassigned blogs show in that category. For example I just set the default category to 'School'. Now when I view the landing page it still shows the (1) for Legal. But now also shows (20) on School. This is how the default category works.

One curious not is when I click on School to view the sites for that category I'm only seeing 8 entries not 20. Nor do I see the prev/next navigation.

Another curious issue is according to Network Admin > Sites you have 25 sites/blogs. So why is this only showing 20? Not sure at this point.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@mpv,

Something else you need to review. If you go to Network Admin > Sites you will see a column in the far right showing the selected Site Categories for each site. Or note is the site 'firstclasslearning'. See image. You will notice the site is set to the Site Category 'Education'. But when you view the Site Categories landing page it shows 'Education' as zero. Why?

Answer: Because according to Site Categories > Settings you have set the 'Category parents selectable' to NO. This means those selections are invalid so the sites using these top-level categories are not used. See image

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@mpv,

Again, something very strange is happening (or not happening) on your site. If I go to your 'aeyrandtest' site then to Settings > Site Categories I see it is set to the different categories. But when I go to the primary site then Site Categories > Site Categories I show zero for those three selected categories. Have tried resaving the form and still no luck. Have tested this on three of my own sites and have no issues updating the values. could be some other installed plugin is effecting the save.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@mpv,

Continuing to look at this I can't reproduce this on any of my own sites. So either you need to start disabling plugins to see it we can identify a conflict somewhere or possibly provide FTP access so I can add some debug code to the Site Categories to see if I can determine why the category selections are not saving.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

@Paul: Thank you very much for being at top of this.

@mpv: You can run a plugin conflict test with the attached flowchart. Also, you can provide ftp access details to Paul so that he can debug.

To send details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Paul
    Details: Send all required details (admin info and/or ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that he can track.
    Also post a note here once you send the info.

Cheers
    Ash

• John Taylor

@Paul

Hi there

I understand the settings,

Answer: Because according to Site Categories > Settings you have set the 'Category parents selectable' to NO. This means those selections are invalid so the sites using these top-level categories are not used. See image"

This is what is advised when using grid, so that is what I set, its not clear.

Have sent ftp access, hopefully we can get it to work.

thanks

JT

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@mpv,

Answer: Because according to Site Categories > Settings you have set the 'Category parents selectable' to NO. This means those selections are invalid so the sites using these top-level categories are not used. See image"

Yes, I'm aware of how it works for Grid display. My point was the site I mentioned had already been setup to include those parent selections which are then invalid when you set the parent selectable to no.

Go ahead with the plugin deactivation steps. Let me know if you find anything.

• John Taylor

Hello all.

Tip:

Next time you get this question, before you tell them to go deactivate, usual suspects :slight_smile:

Ask the following question(s)

User,
    1. Are you sites live or discouraged from search engines?
    2. are the sites not showing ones you or your users made before the last activation or deactivation of site categories plugin?

If so

allow search engines, go to settings, site categories enter any value, save, go back re enter value of choice, save. Job Done

Can I join your team now? I am an out of the box, look for the illogical not the logical explanation WP nut case.

thanks for all the help, it got me thinking

Peace

JT

love you all

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.