How do I have a different set of plug-ins on my main site and on network sites?

I'm setting my my first multisite. How do I set up the site so the primary site has access to one set of plug-ins, and the network sites have access to a different set? There are so many plug-ins (especially from WPMU) that manage multisite issues, but obviously I don't want these plug-ins showing up on the network sites. Thanks.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello Philip, I hope you're well today.

Using the Pro-Sites plugin you can restrict what sites see some plugins or not. You can even create sets of sites (assigning them different pro-sites levels and ech level can have their own set of plugins!

I hope that answers your question, if you need any more guidance don't hesitate to post back.

Cheers,
    Aristeides.

• philipt18
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thank you. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole mutlisite concept. I saw Pro Sites but didn't think it would let me restrict plug-ins from sites, only allow them. I guess I add plug-ins to a higher tier that no one other than the primary site has access to. I'll give that a shot.

• philipt18

Pro-Sites doesn't seem to do what I want. First, it only lets me define one level 'Pro' and only lets me define others if I assign prices to them. It then inserts requests to upgrade everywhere, and in the plug-in lists it shows all the plug-ins, but says that certain ones are 'Pro' only.

I just want the network bloggers to see a list of plugins that they can use, and not know what all the other plugins on the main site are...

• philipt18

Thanks. I tried it, but the plug-ins I mark None for User Control still show up in network blogs. I set all but 3-4 plug-ins to None and they all still show up, even in a new blog I created to test it out.

Also, not all plug-ins show up in the plugin management editor, such as Akismet. What kinds of plugins show up, and which don't? Thanks.

• philipt18

Good point. I just realized that might be an issue when I got an e-mail with your post. I was a Super Admin. Actually, something weird happened when I created the blog and the user was never created. I thus went in and created a new admin for the blog and logged in to that account. Now in the Plug-ins menu I only see an option to set the Akismet options, and there is no menu itemm for Installed Plug-ins.

Also, why is it that I see under 'My Sites' both the main blog and my new blog? If I try to go to the main blog (while logged in to this new account) I get an internal server error saying I don't have suficient privledges. Why am I even shown the main blog to begin with if this is an account only associating with the new network blog? Thanks.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Now in the Plug-ins menu I only see an option to set the Akismet options, and there is no menu itemm for Installed Plug-ins.

That's because you 'll have to enable some plugins using the multisite-plugin-manager plugin and make them visible to other sites.

why is it that I see under 'My Sites' both the main blog and my new blog?

Even if you are not the administrator of both sites, you are still a user in both of them! So in the "my sites" tab you can see all the sites in which you are a user (subscriber,author, contributor, admin...)
    This is the default WordPress behavior.
    However, you can hide this menu using the Ultimate Branding plugin!

Cheers,
    Aristeides.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.