How do I install an SSL Certificate on a Multisite mapped domain?

Earlier today I took advantage of the SSL certificate that came with my VPS. I was told by my provider that I'd have to install it on an individual site, an individual IP.
8 hours later I'm looking toward the hacking community for advice.
The answer seems to be complex, work intensive and not common knowledge. I've found most answers and non-answers ambiguous.
My question to the WPMUDEV community is - Has anyone been able to install an SSL certificate on a mapped domain within a WordPress Multisite installation? If you've accomplished this, how did you do it?
-Rich

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @Richmanray

I don't have much experience with SSL, but the certificate has to be installed on the server, and it must be valid for the mapped domain you want to use it with, but if you already use an SSL for your main domain, you can't.

So if you already have an SSL cert for your main site, then you can't have an SSL certificate for your mapped domain because you can't have 2 certificates sharing the same IP. You would need to purchase a UCC certificate which would allow you to add multiple domains to a single certificate, but these are very expensive.

Your site must have a dedicated IP also, which you should be able to ask your host to provide. sometimes they offer them with a plan, sometimes you pay a couple of $$ extra p/m for it. It is installed on your account via WHM or CPanel not in wordpress itself, your host should actually be able to install the cert for you.

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/3908/what-is-a-multiple-domain-ucc-ssl-certificate?locale=en

Hope this helps

• Richmanray
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for the quick response Vaughan.
    I'm just looking to secure one site currently.
    I've been down many roads in the past year and Spent alot of time and money doing it.

Days like today make me think choosing a Multisite Wordpress Network was a mistake. Creative support with my VPS provider just doesn't exist and throwing money at the problem doesn't work.

Dedicated IPs I have, but I can't secure a Shopping cart if it's on my existing network?

I suppose if it were easy everyone would do it.
    I'll keep you posted.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.