How do I install WordPress with only FTP Access

Hello,

I have a very beginner question. I am not sure that this https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/using-ftp-to-install-wordpress-mu/ is answering my question completely.

I have a client, usually I install my website using Softaculous or Fantastico.

Right now, I have a client, and they are only giving me FTP access only, username and password.

Can I install WordPress on it?

Regards,

Aji

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @aji Wibowo,

If you go to wordpress.org, you can download the latest version of WordPress. You can unzip this, and upload those files to get started.

However, WordPress requires a MySQL database. So you will need access to a database before you can install WordPress. This isn’t something you can do over FTP.

If you already have the database information, then yes it’s possible. Let me know if you need any other help here.

• electroasd
    • The Incredible Code Injector

As @alexander Rohmann said absolute correctly, if you only have FTP access you cannot install wordpress.

You also need access to the panel of your hosting (Plesk or Cpanel). There you can find the Database section and you can setup a new database.

After that you can follow the instructions and install your wordpress.

• divva
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

If the hosting account is using cpanel, you can use the FTP info you’ve been given to access the cpanel – which you will need to create a database for WordPress.

Just add /cpanel to the end of the domain name and if you get a login page – use the user ID and Password info – that should get you in.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Have them create a db and give you the user, pass host, and db name. Without that, you can’t do a thing.

For db editing:

Pick up the 30 day trial of NaviCat. In the installation folder, you will see a php file. That is a MySQL bridge, used in the advanced connection properties.

If you have a db user and pass, you can do the rest with NaviCat.

• Aji Wibowo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you guys for the answers. I think Imperative Ideas’ answer is the best I can do for now. I just got my username.

It’s confirm, I only get host name, username, and password.

I tried to check whether there are any cpanel or not, and it don’t have any cpanel.

Will let you posted guys. This is a completely new thing to me. :slight_smile:

Aji

• Aji Wibowo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello, I got an information from the administrator as below:

It’s ssh/sftp access.

You can ssh to server as follow

ssh -p2122 batam_dine@##str_replacement[0]##

server will response and enter password.

(Please be notice don’t make 3 times mistake .. you will kicked by server)

Then you can connect to database as follow

mysql -u [username] -p

I don’t have any idea what is this.. Somebody care to share the information?

Many thanks!

Aji

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @aji Wibowo,

He’s referring to administrating your server via an SSH session. You’d do this in terminal. If you’re on Windows, you can use a client like Putty. If you’re on Mac, you can open “Terminal” found in the utilities folder of applications.

Even after you run the mysql command to connect to the database, you’ll just be running that client. From there you still need to create the database.

If you’ve not used this stuff before I must warn you that there’s a decent learning curve here. For your first web hosting experience, I’d recommend going for something where you have cPanel access. Or you could see if the admin would help you get started by just creating that database for you. Then you can enter the db username, password and database name during the WordPress installation be all set.

Best regards,

• lol

Hi Aji Wibowo,

I can create the database via SSH for you if you are not comfortable with command line (I’m Linux Sys admin).

Do you know wich linux is running on your hosting ?

Finally, somehow I am able to do this for you.

Be free to contact me if you are interested (laurent (at) karmaweb.biz)

You will just have to change root password once the work is completed.

Laurent.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @aji Wibowo,

As for tutorials, I like the ones Digital Ocean has been putting out: https://www.digitalocean.com/community

Thanks Laurent for offering assistance! I do just have to made a quick disclaimer: As Laurent is not WPMU DEV staff, we can’t officially recommend him signing in to help you with this. That being said, from seeing his assistance and helpful replies around the forum, I have no doubts whatsoever in his abilities as a sys admin. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

• lol

Hi Alexander,

You are right, I forgot to mention it explicitly. I would do it next time.

I can not imagine (as, of course, is not specified by either the word “ELITE” or by the color of the banner) that someone could immagine me to be part of the staff.

And thank you for the end of the note … ))

Laurent.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.