How do I list event archives and keep right sidebar to the right (not below)?

I am trying to figure out how to get the Events+ archives to show as a list in the left content section of my site allowing the right sidebar to remain. I get the same results when changing the Archive template to Plugin: Default or Plugin: Full Width, which is the events show up full width and push my right sidebar down below.

You can see what I mean here - http://greendogfoundation.org/events/. It would be nice if Plugin: Default stayed to the left. I am using Solostream's WP-DaVinci theme.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings nikif,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Sorry you are having a problem with the alignment of the Events+ plugin and your theme.

I visited your site and with the plugin set to full width it is indeed doing what is intended concerning the Events, it is indeed full width but obviously this is not what you really intend to happen in this case.

Are you using shortcodes or just the normal mode?

If using normal mode you may want to switch to using short codes instead and see if they can display the events to your liking.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• nikif
    • New Recruit

I am using normal mode so far as I am aware. I changed the appearance settings as seen here. I have not chosen full width for archives even though it displays it as such.

Where does one select normal vs. short codes mode? Are you suggesting I use one of the extras?

Thank you for your help, Joe.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings nikif,

Short codes are a snippet of code that represents a portion of code that rather then entering the entire coding you just insert a short code in its place and the entire coding is rendered as if you had used the entire coding - similar to macros.

So you would take a post or page and insert the short code which will be in the format something like [short_code]

In most cases short codes allow for greater customization of layouts and compatibility with themes.

Below in my screen shot are some short codes of Events+ but they are missing the brackets [ ] as shown in my example above.

Try them out on a page or post and see if you get any results that you like.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• nikif
    • New Recruit

I understand what you mean by shortcodes but I was unable to find a list of shortcodes to use with the plugin. In the Fundraising plugin they are listed under Getting Started. Is there a complete list of shortcodes for the Events+ plugin you can point me to?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings nikif,

Thank you for pointing this out about the lack of a short code listing for the events plugin.

The available short codes are dependent upon which extra's if any you have enabled.

So one would think "Hey Joe how did you figure out those short codes" without a list?

The answer is, drum roll please .... the Shortcode Reference plugin

Please let me know if this terrific plugin does the job for you.

Cheers, Joe

• nikif
    • New Recruit

Hi, Joe. Thank for your continued help.

While the eab_archive shortcode used on a page fixed the issue with the sidebar, it created a new issue. Only events scheduled for the current month appear. I have the Default to all Events extra activated but it doesn't seem to work with the shortcode. Any suggestions?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings nikif,

Thank you for the additional input which is greatly appreciated and helpful.

Well we would not want all the extras on because some of them cancel each other out.

How about we try the eab_archive as you have pointed out you have already and activate the Default to all Events extra setting in an effort to get all events showing. This particular extra setting indicates If no year or month arguments are passed to your archive page requests, this simple add-on will show all applicable Events instead of truncating them to monthly archives.

So we are getting closer now we just need to fine tune it a little it appears.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings nikif,

Thank you for letting me know.

I think it is indeed time for a recap of where we are at with this issue.

Please correct me if I am wrong in the following items:

All the events show in the "events" menu selection but the sidebar is messed up?

Using short codes the sidebars are perfect but not all the events show?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings nikif,

Thank you for working with me to get things prepared for this very talented but extremely busy lead developer to check out.

I will now see if I can get him in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The latest plugin release (v1.5, just released) comes with much improved shortcode handling, including a reference page. It is now also possible to change the shortcode output format in several ways. Perhaps the easiest way would be to create a template file for the shortcode in your theme directory (you can use one of the default-templates/shortcode-*.php files as your starting point) and make use of the "template" shortcode attribute to use the your new template instead of the default one.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.