How do I make a subscriber be identify by Membership plugin as a free user?

Basically, when someone is signing up as a free member they received from wp the subscriber role but that is not the level I setup with the membership plugin (the level I set is Free) so my question is how can someone subscribing by choosing one membership level, gets assigned to the right levels on the sign up (is there an automatic way to do that or should it be manual?)

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello FAS,

I think you are wanting to do below

If a member chooses subscription 1 >> he becomes a subscriber role
    If a member chooses subscription 2 >> he becomes a author role

Is that correct ?

If yes, then this is something which is not possible out of the box and will have to be done manually.

Membership can provide your users with a defined access level however can not control the user roles.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• FAS
    • Flash Drive

Hi PC,

The ideal scenario is to have:

If members choose any subscription or decided to sign up for the free mode, they all got to have "members" status so they do not have any restriction on navigating the website (visitors are still blocked but if someone register should be ok), the problem is when someone registering is getting the subscriber default roles that membership does not recognize as a subscription or free mode. Any thoughts on how to change that.

Thanks as always for your help and insights.

• FAS
    • Flash Drive

Basically, what I would like is to automatic add member to a level during a FREE signup. For example, the user choose to sign up for free , his level will be Free registered user.

I know it is possible to add manually as below:

A membership level controls the amount of access to the sites content this member will have.

By adding a membership level, you may actually be removing existing access to content.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

As I said before

the problem is when someone registering is getting the subscriber default roles that membership does not recognize as a subscription or free mode.

WordPress role and Access level is different. Whenever someone signs up there are 2 things that happen.

1: A user is created in WordPress
    2: A access level is assigned to the user with the Membership plugin which allows access to different regions of the site.

So if you want a user to be able to access the areas of the site you want, you should create a Access level with those rules, then create a subscription plan which the user will sign up for. The user should signup using Membership plugin in order to get the level assigned to them.

Can you kindly follow the membership manual here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#usage and set it up accordingly ?

Please advise.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• jeff_lewis4
    • New Recruit

I think this can be done with Membership as it is.

With v3.4.4.1 (and maybe earlier) you can setup a different Access Level for each Subscription and each Access Level has the ability to set the user's WP Role.

Use the "Advanced" tab when editing the Access Level's Rules, which allows you to enter both positive and negative rules, but also unhides this option. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and you should see an option to "Associate Role" and a select box of WP Roles.

• Hayley
    • New Recruit

I had the same problem. Users would sign up for the free membership level and wp would add them as a user, but membership did not add the relevant access level. To fix I went to options > general options > and under user registration I changed it from "none" to the free level I set up.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Hayley,

Thanks for chiming in and sharing your views on this one.

If you want a user to get an access level assigned as soon as they signup, you have to do it the way you just did :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.