How do I make these changes to my homepage on Blogs MU?

How do I change the header on Blogs MU? I tried to upload a photo but it doesn't seem to be showing up when I visit my page. Is there a way to get rid of the Blogs MU logo and make that space my own? Also, while I was able to figure out how to change the text to the right of it, how do I change or delete the photo of the computer on the demo? New at this. :slight_smile:

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Nancy,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

In wp-admin > appearance > theme options, scroll right down on the header settings tab, insert your full URL to your logo and then select "do you want to enable custom image header" "enable" save options :slight_smile:

The text is editable in appearance > theme options > homepage settings, any issues, let me know, I'm here to help :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Nancy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Jack! Thanks for the advice. What if I don't have a logo? I was just trying to put up a photo and that didn't seem to work. Where the Blogs MU logo was, it now just shows a tiny box now that show's there is an attachment - not the attachment itself.

If I need an actual logo (and don't have one), is there a way I can just delete what was there altogether? Or how do I get a logo haha? I'm so new at this...And what about where the computer image is? Can I replace that also? Same deal? (I've been able to change the text easily - thank you!)

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Nancy,

Hope you're well today, the computer image should be able to be changed in themes options > homepage settings :slight_smile:

On the other image, it doesn't have to be a logo, it can be a normal .png/.jpg image, could I have a link to your site to see how it's currently showing please?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Nancy

Hi Jack,

I'm just seeing your reply today. How do I change the computer image? I followed your directive to go to theme option/homepage....but I don't know what to do from there. I've never created a site before so you guys often lose me pretty easily.

Also, how can I insert a photo to the header? I deleted the image that was only showing up as a little box and not the actual photo...and now I don't even remember how I did that.

The site is namemynovel.com.

Thanks for your help!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Nancy,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

Sorry about the confusion before, that computer image is actually from wp-admin > appearance > theme options. That that'll take you to a menu (screenshot attached).

Click on "Feature Settings", this will then allow you to add a category ID and choose how many images it should rotate through (screenshot attached).

Also, how can I insert a photo to the header? I deleted the image that was only showing up as a little box and not the actual photo...and now I don't even remember how I did that.

In wp-admin > appearance > theme options > header settings, scroll right down and you'll see "Header Graphics Setting
    Insert your logo full url here" Insert the full URL to your image, this would be from your wp-admin > media, find the image and click edit, right hand side it will have the media URL that needs pasting in that box :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Nancy

Thank you Jack! That was incredibly helpful. I really appreciate you breaking that down into terms I could understand and also including the screenshots. I was able to change both images!!

Is there a way to add text over the photo I installed for my header and/or a way to make the header logo longer?

Thanks again for your help. This is the first time I really understood and was able to make a change based on support I received here and you have given me a lot of hope that I may be able to create this site on my own after all. :slight_smile:

• Nancy

Also, how do I crop a photo once I've already uploaded it? I have the edit, click on the photo and downsize it within the photo part, but I can't seem to save it once I've done that. Do I need to adjust the numbers in the aspect ratio and selection boxes?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi Nancy,

Hope you're well today :slight_smile:

Your most welcome! Glad that helped :slight_smile:

On the media with the cropping, I would normally recommend making the image the size you need before uploading, this would give you better quality images, you could even use standard image editing software that comes with digital cameras, though something such as Photoshop is of course a lot better :slight_smile:

Is there a way to add text over the photo I installed for my header and/or a way to make the header logo longer?

We could make it longer using some css, do you have a screenshot of perhaps how you want it to look?

Could you post a link to your site and I'll take a look for you :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Nancy

Hi Jack,

The site is: http://www.namemynovel.com/

I'm just playing around with logos until I find something I like. But I was wondering if I could stretch the photo I have in my header so it goes all the way across the top of my screen, or if I can add text to one that already does stretch across (but doesn't have text that I added in photobucket).

Thanks again!!

• Nancy

Hi again Jack,

In addition to the question I posted earlier...

When I was changing the header text color, I somehow managed to push the text down below (and to the right of) the photo instead of next to it. This made the second area (where the pic of the computer used to be) twice as big as it used to be. How do I move the text back to the right of the photo? (I'm going to change the text to say something different if I leave the title in the top logo) and make that section smaller again? I thought I was getting on a roll hahaha.

• Nancy

One more question to make this a trifecta for today. :slight_smile:
    If I wanted to do away with either the top header or the second part (where I have the surfer pic) altogether, is that an option? I like the way it looks on my notebook, but just realized that on a mobile, the user will have to scroll down pretty far to get to any content.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Nancy,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions.

On the logo, we can't really stretch that as such, as it'll make the logo pixelated on most displays if that makes sense?

When I was changing the header text color, I somehow managed to push the text down below (and to the right of) the photo instead of next to it. This made the second area (where the pic of the computer used to be) twice as big as it used to be. How do I move the text back to the right of the photo?

Can you remember what happened? As that image should be a set size cropped by the theme, but did the image end up bigger? So we need to reset the image to the normal size correct? :slight_smile:

If I wanted to do away with either the top header or the second part (where I have the surfer pic) altogether, is that an option? I like the way it looks on my notebook, but just realized that on a

Sure, we could hide that with CSS if you'd like? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Nancy

Hi Jack,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm doing well today and hope you are also.

1. No, I don't know what that means but I don't need to lol. I get the gist.
    2. No, the image did not seem to get bigger and I have no idea what happened since all I did was change the text color. The text just moved.
    3. This may be the answer if I can't switch it back. So how do we do that, exactly? :slight_smile:

• Nancy

Thanks Jack. I didn't understand that one but I appreciate you trying to help. I am using a free wordpress theme now that has been much easier to figure out the basics with then any of the WPMU themes I attempted to use. Hoping your plug-ins will be easier to figure out.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.