How do I manage the capabilities of members? I want to automatically give directory privileges to me

It's more a question of making the two plugins work together.... I thought that as they both came from WPMU Dev, it shouldn't be a problem. I hope it's just something I'm missing.

The requirement is basically as follows:
Someone pays for membership. There are 3 levels, but they basically get access to the same stuff.

Paid membership allows them access to members only information on the site.
It also allows them to update / maintain their own extended user profile - visible to other members only.
It also entitles them to a free public listing (implemented through CustomPress & Directory)

At some point in the future, we would be looking to extend these privileges to allowing members to create their own website through pro-sites.

By default, members are created as subscribers, with no apparent way to automatically extend their capabilities.

The members that are there at the moment have been set up manually (imported from a previous non-wp site), to allow them the access that they require

Could you please let me know how I can achieve what I am trying to do here, especially as I have another very similar site in the process of being set up

• Patrick

Hi there @Johanna

I hope you are having a great day!

By default, members are created as subscribers, with no apparent way to automatically extend their capabilities.

Under the General Settings tab of Directory, you can set the default role for new signups. As you are using Membership and relying on WordPress defaults, it's probably best to leave that setting as "Subscriber".

However, under the "Capabilities" tab, you can tweak the Directory-specific capabilities for all roles.

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.