How Do I manipulate Product ID's so that I can sort products in the exact order I'd like t

On the presentation page of Marketpress there is an option to sort products by "Product ID." I assume that Product ID is merely the generic post id that wordpress generates with each new post/product created.

If that's incorrect, please let me know how one would generate a product ID.

However, assuming that's correct, sorting products by product ID really just means sorting products by the order in which they were created, correct?

And the only way to manipulate how your products are displayed when sorting by product ID then, is to make sure you create your products in the exact order you'd like them displayed?

Please let me know if I've got a good handle this. Just trying to figure out the best way to order products in a clients store.

Thanks,

Jeremy

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Jeremy, (@jjmoncur)

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

The only way to modify a product ID would be in the database, it's a random generated number, which I'm afraid also means that the order they are created (the products), the numbers might not be subsequent. i.e, it might create a product with an ID of 12, then one with the ID of 2, then 27 etc, there's no actual pattern.

I personally wouldn't think ordering by ID is the best way, rather by name, price etc :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• jjmoncur

Jack,

thanks for the response. So why include "Order products by: Product ID" in the marketpress presentation panel? Isn't it essentially the same thing as Order products by: Random (which is also an option)?"

In that case, once products are in categories, is there any further way to order them?

I.E. Within a Men's Shirts category, supposing we had blue shirts, red shirts, etc...and didn't want to create a category for every single color we carried but wanted them organized by color once in their general categories, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Jeremy,

Sorry for the delay with my reply, I missed your previous response.

I hope you are well today, You make a very good point with the random sort order and the product ID sort order.

I was discussing this with a colleague and he suggested perhaps sorting by published date, and just edit those dates in quick edit, if that would be a work around for you?

The currently only other way to further sort with be by assigning tags to products, which may also work for you, and then linking to specific tags maybe on a custom menu item?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.