How do I map sub domains to separate domains without getting an error?

Hi,

I have just joined WP Dev after no avail with googling and help from my host. Such a brilliant website. I am really excited to learn something from this community!

Here is my issue regarding multisite.

I have set up multisite which has been successful within the WP dashboard but as soon as you view the website I get the following:

Index of /

You can see that the domains have mapped successfully and I have followed all instructions religiously. I am on my 3rd install now and I don't want to have to do it a 4th time. Bluehost have not really helped with this issue. They don't know why this is happening.

This what I would like to achieve:

3 websites setup in 1 multi site. 2 of the subdomains mapped to separate domains which are sat on their own Cpanel with dedicated IP and SSL's (SSL is not set up just yet)

Does anyone know what the issue here is?

Thank in advance!

Gem

• aristath

Hello there @Gemma and welcome to the WPMUDEV Community!

When you see the "index of /" poage, do you see a file there called "index.php"?
    If you do, then this is probably an issue that can be fixed from your .htaccess file.
    You can simply add the below line in it:
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

Please note that if there's another line that mentions DirectoryIndex int it you should probably delete that line.

Let me know if that works!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Gemma

I installed wordpress via FTP to aplaceforCREATION.COM then setup multisite and add the below subdomains which I then mapped as noted:

apfc.aplaceforcreation.com > aplaceforimagination.com
    bigartboost.aplaceforcreation.com > bigartboost.com

I used the below plugin this plugin to map the domains: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

I had issues after mapping them before when the the dashboard would not open and came up with a 404 error. Bluehost advised that I need to delete the subdomains I had setup in my server so these sub domains would then all point to the public_html which is where my wordpress installation is. I did this then the dashboard worked fine but then this error appeared.

I can setup ftp access so you can see?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Gem,

Hope you are doing well today! Thanks for choosing WPMU Dev and welcome to the community :slight_smile:

Am I understanding it right that aplaceforimagination.com is one of the domains you are trying to domain map with? and that aplaceforcreation.com is your main site for the multisite installation? Please advise.

It is also worth noting that we have our own domain mapping plugin that you can use :slight_smile: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/ It has a very handy usage guide as well.

What is the best way to map these to separate domains on the other cpanels?

If you don't mind me asking, why exactly are you wanting to have separate cPanels for each domain?

Let us know if you have made any further progress on this!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Gemma

Hi Tyler

Yes aplaceforcreation.com is the primary domain and aplaceforIMAGINATION.com and bigartboost.com are the domains I would like to map to.

I realised that there was a mapping plugin on Wp Dev and installed this over the weekend. I have deleted the old plugin I was using.

The WP Dev Domain Mapping plugin has been installed and setup using the instructions on this website but I am now getting the following errors:

aplaceforimagination.com:
    I cannot open the dashboard for it.(This one is not mapped) This error comes up:

Not Found

The requested URL /wp-admin/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

bigartboost.com:
    The dashboard works and it seems the domain has mapped through but this error comes up when visiting the site:

Index of /

cgi-bin/

The primary domain seems to be quite happy.

The reason I setup separate Cpanels is so that aplaceforimagination and bigartboost.com can be made secure via SSL.

Bluehost advised me that in order to do this each domain has to have their own dedicated IP and that are set up on their own separate Cpanel. They said that dedicated IP's only work on separates Cpanel. (I would not been surprised if they have informed me incorrectly though)

The domains I want to map to have already been linked to their dedicated IP addresses and have their own Cpanels.

Also it may be worth noting that Bluehost told me to delete the subdomains I created on the server as I only need one wordpress install but then another told me that they should be there. (These are still deleted) Could there be an issue here somewhere also?

Thanks

Gemma

• Gemma

Hello.
    I thought I would give you an update on this. I am still having issues. I have double checked that I have followed the instructions for the WP Dev Domain Mapping plugin and all seems to be ok here.

The DNS seems fine as per the instruction however I am quite new to this part so it could well be that I am missing something here.

This is what it looks like at the moment. (It is slightly different to previously but I have made no changes since creating A Names. I believe this may have taken longer to propagate)

Subdomain apfc.aplaceforcreation.com does not bring up a dashboard only this error:

Not Found

The requested URL /wp-admin/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

bigartboost.com has mapped to the domain but when viewing the webite this error comes up:

Index of /

cgi-bin/

Thank you for your help in advance.

Gem

• Tyler Postle

Hey Gem,

What pages would you be looking to have SSL enabled on? Admin and login pages?

An easier way to achieve this, that would avoid the need for multiple dedicated ip's, would be to use a wildcard SSL. This would secure all subdomains on your primary domain. Then you could force the original url's on the login page and admin pages with the domain mapping plugin, this option is built in to the plugin.

Hopefully that makes sense! Let me know what you think.

Also, can you grant support access so I can take a look at your domain mapping settings? From your dashboard - WPMU Dev > Support > Support Access > Grant Access

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hi Gem,

It looks like your main sites dedicated ip doesn't point to the WordPress installation. For the A records method to work correctly the ip has to direct to the main sites installation.

This is something your host or system admin can easily fix for you. Here is a excerpt from the usage guide:

Note: The IP address must have it’s DocumentRoot set so that when you load it in your browser you will see your WordPress install. In most cases this should be /public_html/ but it can vary, your host will be able to assist easily. This ensures that any mapped domains will be sent through to your WordPress install.

If i get the wildcard SSL I wont need to have my domains linked up to other CPanels will I?

Exactly! The login pages and admin pages you can simply force the SSL version of the original subsite URL.

Hope this helps!

Let me know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.