how do I move a site to my WP multisite?

I just built a multisite. I also created new subdomaines through go daddy. How do I add these subdomaines to my WP multisite? I have not added anything to the new subdomains yet.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Mattbkelly,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

Just to check, did you install the multisite into a root of a domain? As I'm showing here it's in a sub domain? A sub domain multisite install must be in the root of a domain.

On adding the sub domain, make sure the sub domain is added in the GoDaddy Control panel as they don't support wildcards and then add that via network admin > sites > add new :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Matt

A multisite install must be setup in the root of your domain, not a subdomain. More than likely, this would be your public_html folder if you access through ftp and have a *nix based system.

The reason it has to be set up in the root is so that your network site domain can create subdomain accounts on itself. Of course, your host has to support Wildcards for this to happen or you will have to do it manually like your case appears to be.

When your multisite is setup correctly, your main network domain that has the multisite install would be in the root of kellycasa.com. Your multisite accounts would be username.kellycasa.com. That is if you have it setup using subdomains not subdirectories.

You would use a service like Domain Mapping to point the "real domain name" to the sudomain account of your multisite install. You would need to create an "A Record" in the DNS of the "real domain name" to point to your server ip address.

That will allow you to basically "stack" domain names on your subdomain installs. Hopefully all of that makes sense but I was in your same boat at one time.

• Matt

When this is done, Wordpress is setup and you don't need to install anything else, except themes, plugins, etc.

The newly installed network allows you to create those subdomain sites inside of it. You don't need to install Wordpress on each of the subdomains to create those sites. It is created automagically in your network install (in most cases).

In order for your users to create sites, they would have to create an account on your network. You can allow that to happen in the settings. After they create their account, you can allow them to create "ready to go" sites IF your webhosting allows the use of Wildcards. If not, you have to manually setup their site. They can still use the service but their subdomain will not work until you manually create it.

• Matt

If you installed the multisite in a subdomain, I would just delete it all (backup important stuff) and start again. Make sure to install in the root of your domain and NOT a sub domain or sub directory.

If it is installed in a subdomain that is why you can't link subdomains to your sites. Think of subdomains as jailed domains. They can't create anything outside of their default directory, which by default, is not setup in the root.

• Mattbkelly

I got my kellycasa.com multisite root directory running and activated the plug ins, however when I add a new subdomain that I created through go daddy, it gives me at the following error when I select the dashboard:
    Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at ph.kellycasa.com Port 80

------
    what is this apache? When i created the multisite it said i would need it for the wildcard, but since i am not using the wildcard, it said i would not need it. how do I get my new site working in multisite?
    thanks,
    matt

• Mattbkelly

I may know what is going on. I have one hosted site with Godady and three domain names under the one hosting plan.

Is the Root Directory the one domain name under the hosting plan? aka massagtx...

then the other two domain names considered subdomains under massagetx?
    even though they have there own separate web addreses like kellycasa...

This is maybe why i am getting the error when trying to access the kellycasa dashboard?

• Matt

I am not sure of your situation with GoDaddy.It definitely sounds like you are not installing in the root directory of your hosting account. My guess is that you have a single domain hosting with parked or addon domains.

Regardless, if you want to setup a multisite installation, it has to be created on the main domain that your hosting is setup through and in the root directory exactly like...

http://kellycasa.com/install-multisite

If your current Wordpress install is not setup in your root like above, you need to reinstall it there in order to switch everything over to multisite functions.

Your install also needs to be the setup on the main account on your hosting plan. It cannot be setup on a parked or addon domain.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.