How do I post a Question -- it never shows up

I signed up -- for a couple reasons -- 1) to have someone to bounce things off ---
I presently have a network of business directories in numerous cities - these sites are using premium press -- I have 6 individual blogs in each city --- business directory - real estate ads, classified ads, coupons, auctions -- all have individual logins and registrations -- we also have a daily deals site -- which is one blog for all the citys -- as we start to grow -- it is already a management nightmare ----

I also have a social network site called that I have wanted to connect with it ---

as I started to learn more about WPMU - it seems to be a better solution ---

and some of your plugins might substitute for what I am presently using -- premium press is suppossed to be MU capable ---

Would I be able to do the same thing with MU and extend the benefits to teh business owner - in that -- once they join = not only would they have a listing but they could add a blog and a full website --- take part in a social network -- using buddypress -- and basically have access to a wider aspect of promotion --- I hope you are following me????

I guess what I am asking -- is before I waste 3 weeks of activity -- only to find out it wont work --- Could you point me in the right direction -- to offer to my clients a platform -- that would incorporate everything a business owner could want in a business directory membership -- LOL -- not a big task -- I would appreciate any input you could give me

• PC

Hello Mark,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

How do I post a Question -- it never shows up

You posted it at the right place and it showed up too. :slight_smile:

Would I be able to do the same thing with MU and extend the benefits to teh business owner - in that -- once they join = not only would they have a listing but they could add a blog and a full website --- take part in a social network -- using buddypress -- and basically have access to a wider aspect of promotion --- I hope you are following me????

If you want to have something like below

Main site for the city >> 6 subsites of the city kind of structure, then you will need WordPress multi network plugin.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-multi-network/

It will allow you to run multiple WordPress networks around one userbase. So every main city site can act as the main site for that network and other sites can be subsites to it.

You can power the main sites of the network using BuddyPress.

If you want to allow them to be able to create sites, you can enable site registration on your network so your users can create their own sites.

If you want to monetize site creation, you can use Pro Sites

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• mindset

Thanks -- now please allow me to clarify better --- cause I think your answer is yes LOL ---

In each city - I have a business listing blog, real estate classifieds, classifieds, coupons, and auctions -- actioninpanama.com is one site -- I also have actiondailydeals.com which is a seperate blog period --- I also want to add "The action society" which would be a social bookmarking - and social group like site ---

Right now -- Each business listing has the normal gallery listing but also full page listing ---- and of course we have paid packages and free listings --- the classifieds, real estate, aucitons, coupons have free listings and also paid packages ---

I would love to add the social buddypress aspect to the business site -- along with offering them a blog-website platform to give them more promotional power --

so what I get from what you said -- I could do this from a series of multi-user sites in each city -- or I can do it once and create a network of sites all from one control panel ----

When you do that -- would there just be 1 table of users? or would I still have 1 table for each of my blog areas (business, re,classfieds etc) -- and will I be able to structure it so the social aspect -- applies to the whole city network -- or the whole network of sites ???

I guess the best way -- is to set one up -- I just wanted the advise of someone who has worked with MU before ---- In fact, have you worked with the business directory plugin and the classifieds -- that you guys offer -- ---

The other thing I am getting ready to launch -- is Free 5 page websites for business owners with the purchase of hosting at my company -- this is integerated with WHMCS -- and it sounds like I would be able to do this with MU as long as my admin panel plugin works with MU ---- and tie in my educational package very easily --

Thanks for your input ...

• PC

Hiya,

Thanks for posting back.

so what I get from what you said -- I could do this from a series of multi-user sites in each city -- or I can do it once and create a network of sites all from one control panel ----

Yes you can do that with Multisite.

I see that you are running the classifieds etc sites on subdomains as classifieds.actionpanama.com etc.

So you have 2 options here.

1: Multisite

You can install multisite on the main domain and then you can create subsites as a.mainsite.com b.mainsite.com etc and run different plugins on it.

You can also use our Domain mapping plugin to map custom domains to your subsites.

You can also use Multi Domains plugin using which you can create subsites with different domains.

For example.

Multisite installed on mainsite.com and site2.com added using multi domain

So you have a choice to create a subsite as a.mainsite.com and a.site2.com allowing you to create different subsites which can target different cities.

Or

2: Multisite MultiNetwork

You can have separate Multisite Networks each for a different city and have the same functionality

In both the cases it uses a common database.

The other thing I am getting ready to launch -- is Free 5 page websites for business owners with the purchase of hosting at my company -- this is integerated with WHMCS -- and it sounds like I would be able to do this with MU as long as my admin panel plugin works with MU ---- and tie in my educational package very easily --

You can use Prosites Along with New Blog Templates in order to offer them a website. You can create different levels and define plugins and themes which can be used accordingly.

Another option is to use WHMCS MU Provisioning plugin which will let your users buy it from your WHMCS site.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• mindset

I am so excited about finding you guys and MU --- I truly believe it is going to solve a ton of problems -- I am a system architect and have been for years - so if someone can give me some guidance I would truly appreciate it -- once I understand the capabilities then I can put it together.

So -- To state again -- I have 70 city directories - -in each city I have 5 WP blogs that are tied together with a common menu and installed in sub domains - so each city has 5 separate user dB's, 5 separate accounting etc ---- a management nightmare ready to give birth ....

Now I would like each city or couple of cities be on separate c class IP's - so I see building a MU site on each domain -- with 5 sub-domain blogs - business listings, calssifieds, real estate, coupons, auctions-- Will there only be 1 user DB -- so if they register at one -- they are registered at all on that city site? Is there a way for all the cities to only have one user DB? so they register once -- and they can access all -- using WP of course .... I know I could do it if I coded from scratch ....

I also have a stand alone site -- called action daily deals =-- which is a groupon clone and it it tied to each city by menu --

I have a social network site called theactionsociety.com which I was planning on using buddy press for to add the social component --

I then want to be able to allow my clients(business listings) through different levels of membership -- the business listings -- to add blogs, websites, etc --- and I was going to handle that through a combination of MU, WHMCS and blog templates, membership plugin, and prosites

Then there is the affiliate system to handle it all, and numerous educational offerings through membership video courses -- and allow my client to do the same -----

Now I am not sure how to tie all this together and more importantly the most trouble free, efficient, and effective methodology to construct it, and I am hoping I can obtain good advice to assist me in doing it 90% right the first try -- I will be glad to contribute some money to your kids -- LOL or be forever grateful -- if someone can work with me and design the architecture so this all works smoothly --

Can I have mulch-site members that are on different servers with different C class IPs -- or do they all need to be on the same server ---

I really want three types of entry points --- capture pages/sales letters, theactionsociety, and then each individual city group of sites -- yet I want it all to interface flawlessly -- with memberships, upgrades, different levels, add on services and have it so people who register do not have to register 15 times to participate in everything ---

Am I on drugs -- or is what I just described possible -- thank you so much -- I am a little confused on how to put it together and I can spend the next three weeks testing or you can be an angel from heaven -- LOL thanks

• PC

Hello @mindset

Thanks for posting back. Sorry for the delay here, the feed has been very hectic.

Now I would like each city or couple of cities be on separate c class IP's - so I see building a MU site on each domain -- with 5 sub-domain blogs - business listings, calssifieds, real estate, coupons, auctions-- Will there only be 1 user DB -- so if they register at one -- they are registered at all on that city site

Yes, there will only be one user database. In multisite, the user registrations are done on the main site and using a plugin like : http://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-management/ you can assign a default role to the users on all sites on your network.

Is there a way for all the cities to only have one user DB? so they register once -- and they can access all -- using WP of course .... I know I could do it if I coded from scratch ....

Ideally I would not advise you to create separate network for separate cities. You can simply have one main site and create subsites accordingly. Then you can use the Domain mapping plugin and map domains to the subsites if you want.

Example.

site.com is the main site
    city1.site.com is the site for a city
    directorycity1.site.com is the directory of city1

you can then map city1.site.com to city1.com and directorycity1.site.com to directory.city1.com (makes sense ?)

Alternatively you can use a plugin like

http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-multi-network/ using which you can create multiple networks under one network

I also have a stand alone site -- called action daily deals =-- which is a groupon clone and it it tied to each city by menu --

I have a social network site called theactionsociety.com which I was planning on using buddy press for to add the social component --

I then want to be able to allow my clients(business listings) through different levels of membership -- the business listings -- to add blogs, websites, etc --- and I was going to handle that through a combination of MU, WHMCS and blog templates, membership plugin, and prosites

Then there is the affiliate system to handle it all, and numerous educational offerings through membership video courses -- and allow my client to do the same -----

Now I am not sure how to tie all this together and more importantly the most trouble free, efficient, and effective methodology to construct it, and I am hoping I can obtain good advice to assist me in doing it 90% right the first try -- I will be glad to contribute some money to your kids -- LOL or be forever grateful -- if someone can work with me and design the architecture so this all works smoothly --

Its not gonna be a simple project to be true. It will need a lot of planning and you will first need to test it on a test site before making any changes to the live site. Remember take a backup of the current sites before you start and once you start, get a backup after every successful step.

As a WPMU DEV staff we can only guide you in the right direction but if you want someone to do it for you or work with you on this project, you should consider posting a job here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Can I have mulch-site members that are on different servers with different C class IPs -- or do they all need to be on the same server ---

As a standard, it should be on the same server. http://wordpress.org/support/topic/multisitemulti-server

You can use our Multi db plugin if you want to split your databases, https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-db/ but as you are not going to offer subsites to your users, I don't think you will need it.

Am I on drugs -- or is what I just described possible -- thank you so much -- I am a little confused on how to put it together and I can spend the next three weeks testing or you can be an angel from heaven -- LOL thanks

Absolutely you are not on drugs but I would not say that its possible just by imagining the setup. The challenges will come and they can only be tackled once you start working on it :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• mindset

OK --- Thank you so much -- it is starting to clear up ---- still a little confusion on beginning structure --- so if I may reiterate what you said above. You suggested not having multisites -- but rather structure it all on one site ---

My confusion is how to I tie in all of the periphal nicities that are taking me to the next level -- such as ---- Buddypress and the social, membership software, whmcs integration -- so that every city site will not only have access but they are in the users face??? LOL

For instance: right now I have aip.com Classifieds.aip.com RealEstate.aip.com -
    aim.com Classifieds.aim.com RealEstate.aim.com

according to your suggestions-- rather than having them --- on sepreate physical domains --- You would suggest --

main site.com ---- then a sub-sites of aip, Classifiedsaip, realestateaip, aim, classifiedsaim, realestateaim --- then mapping those to their action domain of --- aim.com Classifieds.aim.com -- Correct????

I understand from what you said -- that all of those would be using 1 user DB -- so if someone registered on aim.com -- they would not have to register again on any of the others -- they could just logi ??? I hope I hope I hope ---

Ok -- that makes perfect sense to me ----
    as my members sign up -- they would do their business lsiting post -- and everything is hunky dory ----

Wow that makes maintenance and upkeep so much simpler ---

Ok now more advice ---- would you make the social site the main site???

How would you integrate the One membership - prosites - whmcs so the are avaiable to all the sites - but be the network admins - and apply to the main total structure from all the peripheral sites --

Then I assume that if someone were to upgrade to webspace through a membership - -I could then give them the same tools as network admin is using --- and the two memberships would be seperate --- in other words -- one of my users could start their own membership site -- and it would be totally seperate from my setup ----

Hopefully I am correct in my description -- I know I will learn alot in implementation but I just want to make sure I start in the right direction --- so am I going in the right direction? Do I understand what you have said? (I will forget the class c ips -- not needed)

Now -- if you could roughly explain how the rest of the items integrate -- and if I am correct in how they do --- and how would you structure the core of the site -- knowing that the city structures are all around --

For instance: if they go to the center sight first --- then they have to be able to find the city sites, and if they go to the city sites first, they have to be able to easily take part in the social network --- I hope you understand what I am saying?

I think this is a pretty big undertaking -- but if I can get it to work -- it is going to turn my future nightmare into a sound peaceful sleep -- relatively

Thanks ahead of time -- Mark

• Dev4

Hi Mindset,

I see PC is covering your questions in detail.
    I thought i would just chime in and give you a welcome and a little bit of a general view from another member.

I know what you mean, when i found wpmudev, i could not believe the number of problems it solves, or the number of new approaches i could use.

The combinations of plug ins tied in with the support here is quite a package.
    You are going to spend some time learning about it all.

I can tell you what i did that helped me get a grasp of a chunk of the plug ins.
    Set up a site with some idea of what you want to do. Interact on the forum. Test, play learn. DELETE the install.
    Do it agian. This time building it cleaner, better, more to what you want.
    Then DELETE it again.
    Repeat until you can bring your multi city network up and have the basic structure there without thinking about it.

You will learn so much by just building it and using it, then combined with the advice and help on the WPMUDEV you will be set.

Along the way you will find some things may be harder than others,
    But to answer your oringainal question... Yes, it will be worth the time you spend going down this path.

At any rate... Welcome! Enjoy the journey.

• mindset

Thanks for you input -- I have to tell you ---

Though I am a technical person - been an system architect since the 70's -- For instance; I headed up a 200 man - 3 year project developing AT&T's first mobile phone billing systems ----

I am new to marketing on the internet either -- started on bulletin boards many years ago-

I have struggled with Word press issues -- even though it is the best overall platform available today -- It is hard to get support. I have hired so many so called "WP Experts" to teach me and/or to fix problems or to write plugins for me --- and to be honest -- all it did was cost me a ton of money and ended up with a bigger mess than I had to start with.

I have since been forced to learn php ( I was an assembler - cobol - then C programmer) when I never wanted to code ever again LOL ---- and now learning WP infrastructure inside and out -- with the hooks and filters and the proper way to structure plugins to avoid conflicts with other addons --

The bottom line is -- I wish I would have found this organization years ago -- I joined 2 weeks ago --- and have already saved money and gotten more than my moneys worth already ---- Thank you for existing --

I was pretty confident but scared about moving forward in this avenue but now that I know about the support here and the tools -- there is nothing that will stop me ----

So thank you -- wpmudev ---- Now my goal is to become an active participant and earn that lifetime membership :slight_smile: but hopefully this is accomplished by helping other people -- not 1000 points on problems LOL

Thanks again ---

• PC

Hiya,

Sorry for the delay here. I have been pretty over loaded.

OK --- Thank you so much -- it is starting to clear up ---- still a little confusion on beginning structure --- so if I may reiterate what you said above. You suggested not having multisites -- but rather structure it all on one site ---

I am suggesting not to have multiple networks. You can have just 1 Multisite install and create subsites on that network.

My confusion is how to I tie in all of the periphal nicities that are taking me to the next level -- such as ---- Buddypress and the social, membership software, whmcs integration -- so that every city site will not only have access but they are in the users face??? LOL

Well, its hard to put that on paper unless you start working on it. First create a multisite, then create subsites , them map the custom domains to the subsites etc.

Every plugin is not designed to be used with others. WHMCS integration is required when you are selling hosting, so you can have that integrated to any or all of your subsites

BuddyPress can be used on your main site or you can activate it network wide but I will not suggest you to install BuddyPress till you get the basic network working.

For instance: right now I have aip.com Classifieds.aip.com RealEstate.aip.com -
    aim.com Classifieds.aim.com RealEstate.aim.com

according to your suggestions-- rather than having them --- on sepreate physical domains --- You would suggest --

main site.com ---- then a sub-sites of aip, Classifiedsaip, realestateaip, aim, classifiedsaim, realestateaim --- then mapping those to their action domain of --- aim.com Classifieds.aim.com -- Correct????

Correct

I understand from what you said -- that all of those would be using 1 user DB -- so if someone registered on aim.com -- they would not have to register again on any of the others -- they could just logi ??? I hope I hope I hope ---

Yes, because registrations are done on the network site, so if one registers on your main site, he is registered on the whole network.

Ok now more advice ---- would you make the social site the main site???

Install BuddyPress and just activate it on the main site. Simple as that :slight_smile:

How would you integrate the One membership - prosites - whmcs so the are avaiable to all the sites - but be the network admins - and apply to the main total structure from all the peripheral sites --

I am afraid those plugins are not meant to be used together. Membership serves a different purpose and Prosites is for a different purpose.

WHMCS integration and WHMCS MU provisioning is a different set of plugins. So having them all on one single site is just not going to work.

For instance: if they go to the center sight first --- then they have to be able to find the city sites, and if they go to the city sites first, they have to be able to easily take part in the social network --- I hope you understand what I am saying?

The user can go to the main site and there you can provide a navigation to your subsites.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.