How do I properly configure a blog template? Users must have their account added as admin upon blog

There is a problem related to my blog template.

After following the instructions and configuring the blog the way I want, users can now signup for a site based on the template (category) they have selected. The site appears as it should. This is good.

However, users cannot log into their new blog. A new user creating a new blog does not receive an account with the blog he created. The blog does not add the creator's username and password as the administer. Instead, it remains void of any accounts at all, just like the template.

The expected behavior is the user signing up for an account & blog on my site uses his user name and the randomly generated password to log into his site as the administrator.

To solve the this problem, I attempted to use the non-wpmudev Multisite User Management plugin. This plugin promised to automatically add the account to the blog upon creation with the role I've specified (admin). It did, however each user who created a site would have his username added to the template's list users. So any user who created a new blog would inherit the current list. If 5 users created a blog those 5, plus the creator, would be listed within the creator's blog as an admin. This is not good.

Again, the goal is have users create a blog based on my template, and log into it as the sole administer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• aecnu

Greetings jbsv1,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for the great description of what is going on there and what you have tried to do to resolve it.

Have you thought about using something like New Blog Defaults plugin to set up the theme that you want and other settings, and Advanced Access Manager plugin or User Role Editor plugin to force the admin role you want?

Please advise if these suggestions work for you in any way?

Look forward to hearing form you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• jbsv1

Thank you for helping me with this issue aecnu,

The New Blog Defaults plugin wasn't listed as compatible with my version of Wordpress 3.4.2, so I didn't want to risk installing/activating it. At present, I don't have a proper test environment. I also don't want to rely on plugins which may work, but later on could cause unforeseen issues.

The Advanced Access Manager plugin looks like it could be very useful to apply granular access controls across my network, but it doesn't appear to have the functionality I'm looking for.

The User Role Editor plugin is also a very useful plugin. I may even incorporate this into my site, but unfortunately it too doesn't perform as needed.

I've reviewed the usage instructions for the plugin and couldn't find anything I've missed. Is this normal behavior? Is the plugin not meant to add an admin account for the user who created the blog by default? If yes, can you recommend any other plugins or methods I could try? Perhaps it would be simpler to know what others have done? Like Edublog?

Or is this a bug, or have I made an error somewhere? If it seems like I made an error to you, please advise what steps I can take to debug.

I'm sorry for bombarding you with so many questions.

I sincerely appreciate your help.

Thanks.

• aecnu

Greetings jbsv1,

Thank you for your additional input which is certainly appreciated.

After a complete review here of what you are trying to accomplish and what the results have been to date, what you meant as your expected behavior is how it should be i.e. The expected behavior is the user signing up for an account & blog on my site uses his user name and the randomly generated password to log into his site as the administrator.

Outside of your template, which I believe should be theme by the way you have described it, the process should indeed work this way out of the box to include making the new member admin of his own site.

The first thing to do, at least for now, is get rid of the caching plugin until the site is no longer in the development stage.

Concerning the caching, it is my opinion that caching is not necessary until a site hits around a million hits a month (if the hosting is robust as well) or your using Blue Host and their throttled bandwidth connections - but still only after being through development stage - and this helps avoid caching distortions/caching interference while trying to get the site right.

Our goal right now needs to be getting the site under control i.e. where it is creating sites correctly and sending the emails with the log in credentials to the end user.

To that end lets start with standard troubleshooting protocol:

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

The New Blog Defaults plugin wasn't listed as compatible with my version of Wordpress 3.4.2, so I didn't want to risk installing/activating it. At present, I don't have a proper test environment.

Just backup your database using something like the Snapshot plugin and you feel free to dabble as long as you can restore your last snapshot.

Please advise on the results of running the standard troubleshooting protocol relative to site creation and the welcome/log in credentials email.

Cheers, Joe

• jbsv1

Thanks Aecnu!

I have just completed the debugging process and resolved the issue. After disabling all the plugins network wide and on my main site, the blog creation from the template still didn't work. It wasn't until after I deleted the template entirely, created a new site manually, and set it as the new template did the issue go away.

Now, users can create a blog from the template and have their account assigned as the sole admin with their login credentials intact.

It doesn't look like any of the plugins were a problem. I cannot be certain. All the plugins were reactivated and the issue did not return.

Regardless, I'm pleased I can move onto other tasks.

Again, thanks for your help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.