Remove a website, Restore it later

I might have to temporarily remove a client's website from the web altogether since she is not paying me for the service right now but later I want to have it restored.

Can someone provide the right steps?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Dave,

Have you considered removing your clients access and installing a maintenance mode plugin? https://srd.wordpress.org/plugins/wp-maintenance-mode/- you will still hide site but it will be easier to make it live again.

if you are sure that drastic step like removing is necessary then use Snapshot Pro plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/#product-usage - that plugin will create backup of the site and if then you want to restore it you will have snapshot of it.
    Before removing site I recommend first testing archive and restore it on some staging site to be sure it was created correctly.

Let me know if you have more questions

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Dave

Snapshot is what I thought of using and do a backup of the database as well. Hopefully that is sufficient.

I may also have to close my wpmu account because I spoke to the client last night and they are not able to make the wpmu payments. This was really her payments for me to continue with you guys but I can no longer afford it hoping they will pick up the slack but they cannot.

So my next question now is will I still be able to restore the client's website with my copy of snapshot once the wpmu account is closed?

I do plan on reopening the account later either way.

Thanks

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Dave,

So my next question now is will I still be able to restore the client's website with my copy of snapshot once the wpmu account is closed?

Yes, you will be able. Our plugin will still work even without the active subscription - what wont work are services that need our server to work. So in case of Snapshot normal snapshots will work - but making managed Snapshot wont (because they are uploaded to our cloud).
    You still cans restore snapshots you made.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Dave

what wont work are services that need our server to work

A bit unclear on this. Want to know if security plugins will still work i.e. Defender etc. Yes, I know they won't get updated which means I still have to eventually remove this client's website. Just want to know if in your opinion if I till have say another week of use on these security plugins once I close the account.

Will need about another week if possible to get this client's website taken down.

• Nithin

Hi Dave,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

A bit unclear on this. Want to know if security plugins will still work i.e. Defender etc. Yes, I know they won't get updated which means I still have to eventually remove this client's website.

You'll need to have an active membership to utilize all of the best features of our SAAS plugins, like Defender, Hummingbird, WP Smush Pro, Anti-Splog. Without an active membership, you won't be able to make full use of these plugins. Other than these, as mentioned by Kasia, rest all the plugins should work without any issues, without an active subscription.

Another thing is I have other websites that need to be backed up preferably with Snapshot but my host is asking me to upgrade because of issues with php limits. But I cannot afford to do right now.
    Can you tell me another good option to back up my other websites.

I'm not not sure whether I understand you here, what is the upgrade your host is asking you to do? Is it WP upgrade, or PHP settings ?

Are you asking good option to back up your website other than Snapshot? Most hosting provider does offer their own backup system, you could give that a try. Or if you are looking for a plugin, you could try the Duplicator plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

However, you'll need to have a premium version of the plugin to perform a multisite backup, and would recommend you to check the plugins extensively, before considering premium versions. Please advise, if I'm missing out anything. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.