How do I remove the choice of search engine privacy when users register ?

Hi,

I have a WPMU and Buddypress network. It's probably a dumb question, but I cannot find a way to prevent my users to choose their "search engine privacy" settings at the registration page.

I want to remove that choice from them at that point, to make the process more seamless. Also, since I'm using your excellent "Multisite Privacy" plugin, I'm forcing a specific setting, so there is no use to ask them at the registration.

So is there a simple way to remove the two lines on the "register" page that allow new users to chose between search engine visibility or privacy ?

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards,
DJ

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Sorry for the delay :

And also, do you know which .php file is displaying the "privacy setting" in the user dashboard menu here ? :

Its sitewide-privacy-options/sitewide-privacy-options.php Lines 193-204

but I cannot find a way to prevent my users to choose their "search engine privacy"

It can be done via your network admin >> Settings.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/sitewide-privacy-options-for-wordpress-mu/#usage

Show Privacy option at sign up is displayed when either ‘Logged in users may register new sites’ or ‘Both sites and user accounts can be registered’ is selected under Registration Settings in Settings > Network Settings in the network admin dashboard.

So you can check and and show it accordingly :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Sorry for the delay :

And also, do you know which .php file is displaying the "privacy setting" in the user dashboard menu here ? :

Its sitewide-privacy-options/sitewide-privacy-options.php Lines 193-204

but I cannot find a way to prevent my users to choose their "search engine privacy"

It can be done via your network admin >> Settings.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/sitewide-privacy-options-for-wordpress-mu/#usage

Show Privacy option at sign up is displayed when either ‘Logged in users may register new sites’ or ‘Both sites and user accounts can be registered’ is selected under Registration Settings in Settings > Network Settings in the network admin dashboard.

So you can check and and show it accordingly :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• DJExp
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey, thanks a lot !

Here's the weird part. I did went to the "Privacy Settings" option on the network admin and changed the option "Show privacy settings at signup" to "No"... But the privacy is still appearing on the registration page :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5140132/wpmu_how-to-remove-privacy-at-registration-page.png

As explained on the picture, on the registration page (buddypress) there is that "I want my website to be indexed by the search engines : Yes | No" setting, and that's what I want to remove.

As far as the .php file is concerned, I checked the sitewide-privacy-options/sitewide-privacy-options.php file but it doesn't seem to be the right for where I'm trying to modify.

I probably wasn't clear enough and I know it's hard for you with an admin in French, so here are more details about the part I'm trying to change :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5140132/wpmu_site-visibility-settings.png

If I'm not mistaken, in "Settings>Reading", the 3 last privacy options are indeed added by the Multisite Privacy plugin, but the 2 first one (the one I'm trying to modify in the core file) are there even without plugin. Do you know which php file is displaying those first 2 options only ?

Hope that helps, thanks a lot in advance,

Cheers,
    DJ

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

As explained on the picture, on the registration page (buddypress) there is that "I want my website to be indexed by the search engines : Yes | No" setting, and that's what I want to remove.

Those are WordPress default options.

Adding the below code to your css should hide that out

div#privacy{display : none}

Would that work ?

I probably wasn't clear enough and I know it's hard for you with an admin in French, so here are more details about the part I'm trying to change :

Let me consult our lead developer @S H Mohanjith for the same. He should be here sooner than later.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• DJExp

Hi PC,

So I tried your CSS code but it's not working. Here's the location of my page :
    http://www.ageneve.net/v15/inscription/ (<- register page)

You need to click on the checkbox "Oui, je veux créer un ePortfolio (site personnel)." (means "yes, I want to create a blog").

There, you'll see that there is no "div#privacy" class, I checked with Firebug. You can only remove the whole block, or nothing.

What I'd prefer to do is to remove that directly in the code of the core file (I know it's not good practice but I need to be pragmatic here and deal with problems fast). Can you provide direction on how to do that ?

Also, any news on my other issue with your lead developer @S H Mohanjith ?

Please let me know, thanks a lot,

DJ

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey DJ,

Sorry I did not realize you were using BuddyPress.

Let me dig into it and see what I can find for you.

Also I have sent another note to @S H Mohanjith and requested his presence on this one.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• DJExp

Hi PC,

Thanks for your help. Yeah, I modded the wp-signup core file. I know it's not good practice but I was limited by time and the website is already not update proof anyway.

Copying the wp-signup page to the theme is a great idea, I'm gonna try that and let you know if it's working. Thanks a lot !

DJ

• DJExp

Another question about the last issue :

If I understood you correctly, when I'm modifying wp-signup.php, the modification will happens on the signup page, obviously.

But what core file should I modify to change the stuff that are visible WITHIN MY ADMIN DASHBOARD (see picture on my previous post to better understand what I mean).

For the record, I'm especially trying to modify things on the "Settings > Reading" admin dashboard menu.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey DJ,

You are welcome.

I did a lot of thinking on that one to make sure that I am not missing anything.

But what core file should I modify to change the stuff that are visible WITHIN MY ADMIN DASHBOARD (see picture on my previous post to better understand what I mean).

You can only select any of those 5 settings so if you simply select "Allow Override" to no then all those options would not be visible to site admin.

So you don't need to mod any core files for that IMO.

I would get my colleague @Jack Kitterhing to confirm that for me as well.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.