How do I restore my site?

Not sure how to restore a backup that's stored on WPMUDEV.

I'm trying out Local app and want to restore the backup while using this tool.

I tried using Local to install a multisite network, then installing Snapshot Pro. I thought I would see the backups there and would be able to restore them from the plugin. Isn't working out that way. There's no backup showing. But they show up on my Hub.

Seeking direction on how to restore my site back.

• Rupok

Hi Robert,

Thanks for asking. Can you please confirm from which domain did you create that managed backup which is stored in your backup storage provided by WPMU DEV? Managed Backups are domain specific. So if you created a managed backup from "www.example.com", then that backup will be available on "www.example.com > Dashboard > Snapshot > Managed Backups" section after entering the secret key. But this backup won't show on "www.anothersite.com" managed backups section.

But there are two workarounds. First is creating a local backup from your source site with Snapshot Pro. Then download that backup from the server and paste that backup file manually to your local site's "/wp-content/uploads/snapshots/" directory and then go to your "Local Site Dashboard > Snapshot > Import" section and click the "Scan/Import Snapshots" button. In this way, you can restore that backup on your local site.

Another workaround is, assigning your source site URL to your FlyWheel local instance. Then login to your local site using the source domain URL. Then install Snapshot in that local instance and go to Dashboard > Snapshot > Managed Backup section. Theoretically it should show you the backup, but I can't confirm you because I've not tried FlyWheel local and not sure how you can add a virtual domain to your boxes.

I'll check this with my colleagues who are using FlyWheel local and will update you with my findings.

In the mean time, you can try the local backup procedure I suggested above.

Please let us know if you have any confusion or any further query. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Robert

Sound like a great solution BUT... there's a problem.

By the way, I'm doing this on a local installation so both original and new site I'm restoring to would be local. I would like to try restoring from Managed Backups so that everything gets restored instead of just a snapshot.

But the problem is that when I created the original site on Mamp I called the site domain Template-Multisite-Pro. But while using Flywheel you have to add an ending so I called it Template-Multisite-Pro.dev. Basically just added ".dev" since it was required.

So I was able to create a new blank WP multisite installation (on Flywheel). Installed WPMUDEV Dashboard and Snapshot Pro. I went to managed backeups and it asked me for Snapshot Key. At this point I noticed that by design since the domain names are different Snapshot created a new file/section in the Hub. So I have the original Tempalte-Multistie-Pro (where my backup is stored) and then Template-Multisite-Pro.dev (no backup) sections in the Hub. My backup lives in one and not sure how to transfer it to the other.

• Robert

Ok I tried something else.

Since Flywheel requires a domain ending, .dev in this case, I thought I would change everything else to match this requirement. So, I should be able to change the original site domain name so it has the .dev ending (followed these steps), then use Snapshot to create a Managed Backup. Then go to my new blank site in Flywheel and restore from Snapshot to it. This should work NOW because both original and blank new site have the same domain name.

I did all this, created a new Managed Backup from the original site (with the .dev ending now). Went to the new blank site in Flywheel and tried to restore.

All went well until the last step. Went to Managed Backups > Restore. Step 3, last step initiated but then stopped with "There was an error restoring your backup" :cry:

I gotta take a break, I give up for now.

• Robert

OK I think I finally was able to get this resolved.

If anyone is trying to migrate or switch over from Mamp to Local by Flywheel here's the way to do it.

Here's how to import your WP from original site.

Create a new blank site on Local, make sure the domain name is the same. Follow these steps to import. Basically you use Local to create a new site then go in and delete all files. Now in that folder you can import your WP files. (or my Managed Backup from WPMUDEV in my case).

Now simply go to your local site's url and go from there.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.