how do i sell additional services with prosites? Like social media management

Hello WPMU DEV community,

I have a bit of a complex question and its more of me asking for your expertise on setting up the business I am currently running.

Obviously I am a pro member so all the plugins here I can obtain and I am not apposed to buying other plugins on other sites.

I also own the tipsntricks wp emember and wp estore

I am going to be selling the following services to individual small businesses.

*service ( plugins thought to use for service)

Business Consulting Services
Business process design/redesign/optimization
Sales training/sales script design

Wordpress webhosting (pro sites + domain mapping + multiple domains)

SEO services (ultimate seo)
Adwords management
Onsite Keyword analysis and content creation/optimization

Social media management(ultimate facebook for site integration only)
Yelp
Facebook
Twitter

Event Marketing
Producing and distributing Event Flyers
Publishing events online

Design Services
Producing Marketing materials (flyers, mailers, brochures)
Website/Wordpress design and creation

Packages
All inclusive : (monthly or 1,2,3 year subscriptions)
Wordpress Hosting
Social media management
Event Marketing
Design services

Or a combination of any of them with monthly or a yearly subscription.

What I am asking is can I sell these services using the plugins provided like marketpress and membership. Or should I use the wp-estore plugin from tipsntrickshq since it allows for recurring payments without a membership addon?

Also in marketpress with the membership plugin can I sell packages for subscriptions?(multiple services)

The main thing I need to establish is that I don’t need to restrict access to content only have recurring billing, and be able to add multiple recurring billing packages to the cart incase they dont want an individual package.

I understand i can make multiple types of subscriptions with the packages, but lets say a client signs up for a limited package and wants to upgrade will the recurring billing in membership be increased with the new price?

Can anyone give me some direction on this at all?

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated, with points as well.

Thanks everyone.

Eric

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Eric,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

Out of the box MarketPress and Membership currently don't have any integration, MarketPress doesn't handle recurring payments for subscription type packages unfortunately.

I'd recommend using MarketPress for the single packages and then using membership just for the recurring packages, if you have multiple packages, at any one time, if your using finite/serial subscriptions a user could upgrade to a better package within membership. And using serial subscriptions they/you wouldn't have to worry about renewing it (the subscription).

So this way, if they wanted a single package, they could just add it to their cart and then checkout for that with a one off payment, or if they wanted a recurring package they could use the membership plugin.

Please note membership and pro sites can have conflicts, as membership has it's own registration process, you can't use membership on the main site within the network, when pro sites is activated.

I hope this helps and of course the other cart may also be a good option, but I'm afraid I have never used it personally :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• ericwied1

Jack thanks for your response, my day is going well.

Ok so just so we are clear on things.

If I use prosites and domain mapping if I go to the domain that was mapped would the links in the site be mapped as well?

IE I am hosting a site at sub.mydomain.com and i map it too domain.com, will the links for
    domain.com/store go to domain.com/store or will it redirect to the multisite of sub.mydomain.com/store.

I am referring to them clinking a link when on the site domain.com in a menu or another link.

Ok back to the other stuff you responded to:

It is my understanding marketpress and membership do infact have integration out of the box once you select the settings in the membership plugin although it is just for listing it in the store from my understanding.

Second bit your telling me that it will automatically upgrade or down grade and update the recurring billing in membership so i should just create multiple subscriptions for each service with a month-month service, a 3-6 month service and then a year and a 3 year just for illustration. then have all those listed on a "product" page in market press through the click to url button in market press so that they can then select the "membership" billing they are looking for.

My real issue with this set up is that people cant purchase/build different packages. IE. lets say i just want event marketing and social media management, but then i want to drop social media management and go with another combo of event marketing and lets say seo services. I would have to make packages for social media management + event marketing, and event marketing and seo services. It sounds to me i am having to make every possible combination in membership just to allow for the functionality I am suggesting is that correct?

The last concern I have is how/why does membership and prosites conflict? and why can't I use it on the main site?

If I cant use it on the main site can i make a subsite and have it membership running on there and just do the prosites set up on the main site?

Can you please elaborate on the set up of using membership and prosites as I described above.

Thanks

Eric

Note: if anyone else has any advice or help with this matter dont hesitate to respond thanks Eric

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Eric,

Thanks for your reply, If my reply looks a little strange, it's cause I've used quotes to break it down so my reply's to different parts make more sense :slight_smile:

If I use prosites and domain mapping if I go to the domain that was mapped would the links in the site be mapped as well?

That would correct, a mapped domain would have all links mapped also, you can map the admin area as well if you want or leave it as the sub domain.

To clarify, they would go to domain.com/store and not the sub domain.

It is my understanding marketpress and membership do infact have integration out of the box once you select the settings in the membership plugin although it is just for listing it in the store from my understanding.

I have just doubled check this for you and after looking, I can't see a checkbox? Could you advise where that is please? Are you using membership version 3.4.4.1 like me?

You can protect MarketPress pages :slight_smile:

Second bit your telling me that it will automatically upgrade or down grade and update the recurring billing in membership so i should just create multiple subscriptions for each service with a month-month service, a 3-6 month service and then a year and a 3 year just for illustration. then have all those listed on a "product" page in market press through the click to url button in market press so that they can then select the "membership" billing they are looking for.

Sorry I can't answer this one, till you have answered the above about the integration, :slight_smile:

My real issue with this set up is that people cant purchase/build different packages. IE. lets say i just want event marketing and social media management, but then i want to drop social media management and go with another combo of event marketing and lets say seo services. I would have to make packages for social media management + event marketing, and event marketing and seo services. It sounds to me i am having to make every possible combination in membership just to allow for the functionality I am suggesting is that correct?

A user could have more than one subscription, so you might want to make them each a separate subscription, like SEO, then Marketing etc, then if they want both, they could purchase them together :slight_smile:

The last concern I have is how/why does membership and prosites conflict? and why can't I use it on the main site?

If I cant use it on the main site can i make a subsite and have it membership running on there and just do the prosites set up on the main site?

Can you please elaborate on the set up of using membership and prosites as I described above.

Basically, Membership replaces the wp-signup.php page, which Pro sites uses for it's registration process, which is the default in a multisite, you would create your membership site on the sub site and then use pro sites on the main site, I'm going to discuss this with some colleagues and provide you some more details on this later on this evening :slight_smile:

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• ericwied1

Jack, once again thank you for your response it is greatly appreciated.

to answer the integration issue i was mistaken and was thinking of appointments+ as i have been working with that plugin as well.

so you are telling me that i can create multiple single memberships and users can subscribe to multiple at the same time. that is great that would solve my issue now all i have to do is use different membership lengths for products and i would be good to go.

A more off topic question i have is, is there a payment processor that does collections? IE lets say a customer subscribes for 3 years and decides not to pay after a year does paypal or some other payment processor do collections like that or no? Second part to this question is can I limit the ability for a user to cancel their subscription by the individual membership or can I do it globally for all memberships?

last little bit of info i need before i think im ready to go is in membership it it has this text in the settings page.
    "You should limit the amount of time allowed between membership upgrades in order to prevent members abusing the upgrade process."

how can one abuse the upgrade process? can you please describe a use case so i can make sure to prevent it and set this setting correctly?

Once again thanks for all your help man you guys are awesome.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @ericwied1

I hope your having a nice a weekend :slight_smile:

so you are telling me that i can create multiple single memberships and users can subscribe to multiple at the same time. that is great that would solve my issue now all i have to do is use different membership lengths for products and i would be good to go.

That would be correct should work without a problem, though please be aware that not one rule can be conflicting, i.e, they can't have access to a menu item on subscription 1 and subscription 2, only on one or the other.

A more off topic question i have is, is there a payment processor that does collections? IE lets say a customer subscribes for 3 years and decides not to pay after a year does paypal or some other payment processor do collections like that or no?

As in a way like if a customer cancels, then collect the remaining amount of money direct from their account? I'm afraid not, and I don't actually believe that it is legal to automatically take money that isn't due out of an account, only on the renewal date/renewal time period :slight_smile:

Second part to this question is can I limit the ability for a user to cancel their subscription by the individual membership or can I do it globally for all memberships?

Unfortunately you can't, a user can cancel direct from within their PayPal account and I believe blocking a user from being able to cancel is a breach of the PayPal user agreement.

"You should limit the amount of time allowed between membership upgrades in order to prevent members abusing the upgrade process."

how can one abuse the upgrade process? can you please describe a use case so i can make sure to prevent it and set this setting correctly?

I'm not entirely sure of a cause where the upgrade feature could be abused to be honest, I suppose more of a sort of money way, where a user could sign up and then upgrade, then upgrade, then upgrade, then downgrade and decided to put in a claim/request a refund for any membership time unused, but this would be very rare and shouldn't effect you :slight_smile:

I hope this helps.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member! If I can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.