How do I set e-Newsletter to send emails in batches?

My client has started using e-Newsletter as a change from Dada Mail. She has over 8,107 subscribers of which 7,782 bounced and 40 were opened. The only thing I can think of for this huge failure is that our server only allows 500 emails an hour thru and once the first 500 went thru the rest bounced and did not sent. In the settings I set the Limitations to send 400 emails per hour and wait 1 second between each email. I'd like to know if this can be done in batches instead. Perhaps you can suggest some other way so that we don't lose all these emails.

The website I have set this up on is JohnetteDowning.com

Thank you,
Heidi Hafner

• Tyler Postle

Hey Heidi,

Sorry for my delay here!

Looks like the hosts suggestion did somewhat improve the deliverability as you had about 1000 less bounces. With so many members I would recommend trying a different server, one more dedicated for sending email. Usually your hosts mailing server will have some restrictions in place.

You could try using wpMandrill: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wpmandrill/

You will need to create a Mandrill.com account; however, it's free to do so. Mandrill's service is free up to 12k emails per month so you can send at least 1 newsletter out to test out how a dedicated mailing server does :slight_smile:

You will need to change your e-newsletter out-going settings to WP Mail because wpMandrill takes over that function.

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Heidi Hafner

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought WPMandrill was mainly for MailChimp. Also, on Mandrill's website it says, "Every Mandrill account comes with 2,000 free trial sends. Once you’ve finished your free trial, it’s $9.95/month for 25,000 emails." Granted, $9.95/mo is not bad for what my client needs, but she's used to using another program that free to send any number of emails. The only limitation we've had is how many my server sends. We've had good luck with batch sending in the past. I will discuss with my client and see what she wants to do. She fell in love with your plugin because of how easy it is to design her newsletter.

Thank you for your help.

Heidi

• Tyler Postle

Hey Heidi,

My apologies, they must have changed their free trial recently, it was 12k free emails before :slight_frown: sorry about that.

Were you batch sending from the same server before when it was working fine?

Cheers,
    Tyler

Mandrill is the same people as Mailchimp yes, it's the service they have setup to send all of Mailchimp's emails but they also allow people to use their servers for any mailing service, not just Mailchimp.

• Heidi Hafner

Yes, DadaMail sends in batches. I could send 6 per minute. However, I was looking at the settings for that program and apparently, the person who set it up for me changed the settings to 1 per 13 seconds. This was sending at a rate of up to 277 Messages/Hour. Mailing to 3,857 subscribers will take at least 13 hours, 55 minutes, 27 seconds. Of course, now the subscriber list has nearly tripled.

Thank you for your help.

Heidi

• Tyler Postle

Hey Heidi,

Could you try setting it up as 1 per 13 seconds again. So 277 limit per hour and 13 seconds between each email. Just wanting to see if it improves the number of emails successfully sent. What did your client think about moving to a paid sending service like Mandrill to ensure better sending? I think it's worth mentioning too that a server like Mandrill or any other major sending service would use servers that are very trusted, reducing the chance of emails ever going into junk inboxes. So that's always a nice perk too :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler